Cruise Critic Community
ninaks

Budapest hotel recommendations

We are going on a Danube river cruise out of Budapest. We are coming into the city a few days early. We normally like to arrange our own pre-cruise arrangements. Can someone recommend a hotel, or what part of the city is best to stay at to do siteseeing. Thanks!

:)

We are going on a Danube river cruise out of Budapest. We are coming into the city a few days early. We normally like to arrange our own pre-cruise arrangements. Can someone recommend a hotel, or what part of the city is best to stay at to do siteseeing. Thanks!

Hi ninaka, two years ago we stayed at the Budapest Marriott Millennium Court Apartments. We had a one bedroom apartment. They're located on Piarista utca 4 Budapest H-1052. We had a big room with a view of the Elizabeth Bridge. (I think that was the bridge!)

Our cruise line (Scenic) uses the Budapest Marriott Hotel, and wanted a lot more money to stay there. We made our own reservations and the two hotels are within walking distance of each other, so on the day of our cruise, we just walked over with our luggage to catch the transfer to the ship.

We stayed at the Sofitel, which is just below the Chain Bridge. Beautiful location, nice hotel, very expensive breakfast. Some friends we met on the cruise stayed at the Marriott and liked it.

Thank you for the recommendations. I always book pre-cruise myself, saves so much money and I have never had a problem.

The Hilton on Castle Hill in Buda is wonderful! We stayed there 2 nights before our Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise this summer. It is in the heart of the sightseeing area with stunning views of the river and Pest. The hotel decor is lovely and the service was first rate. If you can get access to the executive floor (either through status or paying) it is well worth it - the lounge was one of the nicest we've ever visited with a serve yourself bar and hot food.

Edited by capriccio

How hilly is the area around the Hilton on the Buda side? Do you have to walk up a hill to get there? (Trying to limit hills and steps if possible.)

For something smaller and less impersonal than the big chains we stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy and it was excellent. Great reviews on TripAdvisor too.

For something smaller and less impersonal than the big chains we stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy and it was excellent. Great reviews on TripAdvisor too.

Can you tell me what you particularly liked about this hotel? Thanks.

How hilly is the area around the Hilton on the Buda side? Do you have to walk up a hill to get there? (Trying to limit hills and steps if possible.)

Castle Hill is a big hill but the sights to see and the Hilton are on the top and that is relatively flat. When we returned the next day on the ship's tour our bus (all buses) was only permitted to go a certain ways up the hill. From there we had a fairly gentle uphill walk of about 5 minutes (and the guide stopped half way to fill us in on the sites). It is a lovely area.

Personally I would stay on the "Pest" side. the Hilton does have lovely views and you are right in the middle of the Castle Hill Area ( the castle has a very romantic and lovely restaurant venue)...this is a small part of what you will want to tour while in Budapest. If you are looking for an inexpensive option that is in a great location consider

http://boutiquehotelbudapest.com/rooms

the rooms are VERY small but hotel is clean, great service, good airport transportation, nice breakfast and GREAT location!!!! Just make sure you are at the "Boutique" Zara not one of the other hotels in the chain which will not have the same great location.

Can you tell me what you particularly liked about this hotel? Thanks.

Just subscribing as I have reservations at this hotel (based on TripAdvisor reviews) for our post cruise stay....along with one night at an airport hotel as we have an early morning flight home.

I decided to put us on the Pest side, in a smaller hotel with good reviews, the Palazzo Zichy. It's well-situated I think, and has lots of restaurant options nearby.

Wendy, since we will be there six months or so ahead of you, I will try to remember to come back and report on the hotel. So far they have been great to deal with. Our river boat has been reassigned to a different cruise so our dates changed by one day which of course meant I had to revise our hotel stay. While dealing with Expedia (where I made the original reservation as it was a better rate than directly through the hotel - and still is) was a bear, the hotel has been most accommodating. Hopefully that will be the case when we get there!

Wendy, since we will be there six months or so ahead of you, I will try to remember to come back and report on the hotel. So far they have been great to deal with. Our river boat has been reassigned to a different cruise so our dates changed by one day which of course meant I had to revise our hotel stay. While dealing with Expedia (where I made the original reservation as it was a better rate than directly through the hotel - and still is) was a bear, the hotel has been most accommodating. Hopefully that will be the case when we get there!

I'm interested in hearing more as well. We're doing two nights pre-cruise in Budapest and one night at the end as well. For after the cruise, we've booked the Hotel Palazzo Zichy, based on several individual recommendations and the TripAdvisor reviews. I also liked that I could pre-book airport transfers with them.

For the two nights prior to us heading to Vienna to board our cruise I'm still not certain of where I want to stay, but the Marriott is appealing since the rooms all have river views.

Great, thanks. We dealt directly with the hotel, and the rate seemed as good as elsewhere, and is refundable. Their communications with me have been great--they phoned me to get the credit card number, for example.

We just booked the Ambra Best Western for a great rate. Looked to be decent on all the reviews I read and I suspect a bit lower price than the Marriot.

We just booked the Ambra Best Western for a great rate. Looked to be decent on all the reviews I read and I suspect a bit lower price than the Marriot.

I like your screen name!

I booked Starlight Suiten Hotel. 4.5 stars on trip advisor. Has small gym, sauna and steam room. Kitchenette. Location is behind Four Seasons Gresham on Merleg. Walk thru 4 Seasons to get to Charles Bridge to go to Buda side. Under $100 for suite. Pick you up at airport for a fee. Staying here prior to our river cruise in May.

Just come back and stayed at the Sofitel in a Danube river view room, amazing hotel and views. We looked at the Hilton castle yesterday and although it's in a lovely place was so limited in things to see although the bus 16a goes across to pest for 360 local currency which is about £1

I booked Starlight Suiten Hotel. 4.5 stars on trip advisor. Has small gym, sauna and steam room. Kitchenette. Location is behind Four Seasons Gresham on Merleg. Walk thru 4 Seasons to get to Charles Bridge to go to Buda side. Under $100 for suite. Pick you up at airport for a fee. Staying here prior to our river cruise in May.

Would love to hear from you when you return about this hotel. We are on Ama Serena in early October and booked this hotel for the night before sailing. Curious about best way to get from hotel to ship. Have a fantastic time!

We're staying 2 nights at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace - next weekend! Will hopefully remember to report back.

We were hoping that this would be convenient to the river boat dock, as some boats dock by the Chain Bridge. Then it would be an easy walk from the hotel to the boat. But according to our precruise information from Uniworld, we may be docked further downstream, by Margaret Island. If that's the case, it will be a few Metro stops.

Since we'll be in Budapest for 2 nights prior to embarkation that will give us plenty of time to find the boat before we have to embark. :D

My TA booked me into the Sofitel Chain Bridge. Yes, it's a chain hotel (no pun intended :D), but you can't beat the location. I walked everywhere. The breakfast buffet is great. Someone else mentioned that it's expensive. Not sure about that, because it was included in the pkg. my TA put together for me.

To the person who asked about walking up to the Castle District, there's a funicular you can ride. If you have mobility issues, be aware that the Castle District is full of cobblestones, which can be rough on your legs/feet even if you don't have walking issues.

Roz

My TA booked me into the Sofitel Chain Bridge. Yes, it's a chain hotel (no pun intended :D), but you can't beat the location. I walked everywhere. The breakfast buffet is great. Someone else mentioned that it's expensive. Not sure about that, because it was included in the pkg. my TA put together for me.

To the person who asked about walking up to the Castle District, there's a funicular you can ride. If you have mobility issues, be aware that the Castle District is full of cobblestones, which can be rough on your legs/feet even if you don't have walking issues.

Roz

Hi Roz and yes the Sofitel is nice and well located however the one across the street has a better location The Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel and by far better service.

The service at the Sofitel was excellent, so to be better, the Four Seasons must be over the top. How does the Four Seasons compare price-wise with the Sofitel? I'm guessing it's way more expensive.

Roz