Cruise Critic Community
ninaks

Budapest hotel recommendations

I decided to put us on the Pest side, in a smaller hotel with good reviews, the Palazzo Zichy. It's well-situated I think, and has lots of restaurant options nearby.

Just returned from Budapest and had a GREAT stay at the Zichy. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff was great and very helpful, the room beautiful, (the junior suites were even nicer) and the breakfast quite tasty. I do have to say, there are not a great deal of restaurants in the immediate vicinity but there are some a short walk away. We really only ate out one evening (the others were more street food nights after seven days of fine dining on board ship) but had a great meal at Zeller Bistro. We also enjoyed the prepared foods at the market.

Have a great time in Budapest...I hope we get back there sometime.

The Palazzo Zichy is really an amazing place. We also were in a Junior Suite and it was great. The view from our room, a corner room to boot, was spectacular.

One thing I can add to what has already been said is that we arranged to have the Zichy pick us up at the airport which a long distance away. They knew when we would arrive and a driver would need leave much earlier to pick us up on time. Well a leg of our flight was delayed in London for hours because of bad weather. The Zichy was on top of the problem. They were monitoring flight landing times and were at the airport in time to pick us up without having their driver waiting or leaving. After the long day of getting there we were very relieved to find their driver at the exit gate.

We did enjoy the Four Seasons very much. And you can't beat the location. It's about 1 minute to the #16 bus stop (which goes up Castle Hill) and 2 minutes to the #2 tram line (which goes up and down the left bank of the Danube). Walking distance to St. Stephen's basilica.

Beautiful building, nice rooms, and they participate with AMEX Platinum so you get breakfast for 2 included (would cost 11,000Ft per person) and $100 food and beverage credit per stay on top of that. Plus a 4pm checkout. All of those benefits came in handy this trip.

The Palazzo Zichy is really an amazing place. We also were in a Junior Suite and it was great. The view from our room, a corner room to boot, was spectacular.

One thing I can add to what has already been said is that we arranged to have the Zichy pick us up at the airport which a long distance away. They knew when we would arrive and a driver would need leave much earlier to pick us up on time. Well a leg of our flight was delayed in London for hours because of bad weather. The Zichy was on top of the problem. They were monitoring flight landing times and were at the airport in time to pick us up without having their driver waiting or leaving. After the long day of getting there we were very relieved to find their driver at the exit gate.

The hotel offered us a shuttle to the airport at a reasonable price but since we were actually changing hotels (we had a 5 am wake up call at the airport hotel!:eek:) the shuttle service wouldn't work and they suggested a taxi which would have been about the same price BUT we decided to be adventurous and Uber and it was great. I had read less than rave reviews about Uber in Budapest but our driver was prompt, the car clean and slightly larger than the taxi would have been...and about 2,000 HUF cheaper!

We did enjoy the Four Seasons very much. And you can't beat the location. It's about 1 minute to the #16 bus stop (which goes up Castle Hill) and 2 minutes to the #2 tram line (which goes up and down the left bank of the Danube). Walking distance to St. Stephen's basilica.

Beautiful building, nice rooms, and they participate with AMEX Platinum so you get breakfast for 2 included (would cost 11,000Ft per person) and $100 food and beverage credit per stay on top of that. Plus a 4pm checkout. All of those benefits came in handy this trip.

Sounds great! We ended up booking there for two nights pre-cruise, and one night post-cruise at Palazzo Zichy (using their transfer service to/from the airport). Ours is a Christmas market cruise so we still have awhile to wait before our trip.

The hotel offered us a shuttle to the airport at a reasonable price but since we were actually changing hotels (we had a 5 am wake up call at the airport hotel!:eek:) the shuttle service wouldn't work and they suggested a taxi which would have been about the same price BUT we decided to be adventurous and Uber and it was great. I had read less than rave reviews about Uber in Budapest but our driver was prompt, the car clean and slightly larger than the taxi would have been...and about 2,000 HUF cheaper!

Congratulations on the 2,000 HUF. That's about $7 US right? It all adds up.

It was less the money and more the hope that the car would be larger...which it was. Also, I wanted to be able to post on TA about Uber in Budapest since it is new there and there were few reviews...in fact when I asked the hotel prior to arrival, they said they knew it existed but didn't know much else.

We were with Avalon and spent 3 extra days at Budapest Intercontinental on Pest side. Great Location!!! Budapest is a beautiful city and easy to visit sites via walking.

Edited by texkan

Obviously a lot of choices, but we enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Courtyard. Don't remember exactly where it was except that it was a short cab ride to the docks.

We spent two nights at the Sofitel prior to our Scenic Jasper cruise. The location was wonderful and the view of the Royal Palace an the Chain Bridge is beautiful. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the service throughout our stay was top notch.

We are staying 1/2 block behind the four seasons hotel (chain bridge)...used AirBnb to find apartment.

I hope it looks a good in person as the pictures on website!

Recent review seem to indicate great location and great lodging!

The location should be quite good. Probably a block from a major Metro and bus hub, Deák Ferenc tér. We walked from there to the Four Seasons easily, and you should be closer than we were. The bus from the airport connects to the M3 line which stops here. Very handy.

You should also be close to the DiVino wine bar, more importantly. That's right on the corner in front of St. Stephen's. As you stand in the square, facing the front of the basilica, it's on your right side. A nice place to park with a glass of wine at night, people watch, and wind down after a busy day.

Also wanted to comment that we very much enjoyed our stay at the Four Seasons, for those who are considering hotel choices.

Edited by jpalbny

We stayed at Hotel Parliament. Very nice small but modern hotel. Rooms were a good size and beds comfortable. Large selection for breakfast (included) and staff could not have been more helpful. Located a couple of blocks behind Parliament and easy walking distance to majority of main attractions. Most important, to us anyway, rates were very reasonable. Definitely recommend.

We are staying at the La Prima Fashion in May. Looks like a quirky boutique hotel, but the reviews are wonderful. Location seems great, anyone pass it when they were in Budapest. We are going to use their transfer from the airport, seems very reasonable. Rate is wonderful, using our funds to have a private guide for 2 days, instead of spending it in a fancy hotel room.

We have stayed twice previously in Budapest, pre/post cruise and always select the Intercontinental Budapest. Perfect location on Danube and very convenient to Chain Bridge, trams, Parliament Building etc. Great service, good breakfast Buffet and worth the upgrade to get a room facing the Danube and Castle Hill. The illumination at night when the lights are turned on is spectacular to say the least!

BP,

I stayed at the Sofitel Chain Bridge across the street from the Intercontinental. Met several Viking cruisers staying at the Intercontinental. Either hotel works great, and as you pointed out, you can't beat the location. some people who have stayed at both told me they prefer the Sofitel breakfast buffet.

Roz

BP,

I stayed at the Sofitel Chain Bridge across the street from the Intercontinental. Met several Viking cruisers staying at the Intercontinental. Either hotel works great, and as you pointed out, you can't beat the location. some people who have stayed at both told me they prefer the Sofitel breakfast buffet.

Roz

Count us among those who enjoyed the breakfast buffets at the Sofitel. We had access to the private breakfast in the Executive Lounge but preferred the buffet instead.

Paul

The Four Seasons had a great buffet too. Ridiculously expensive, but luckily included with our rate. Can't compare to the Sofitel though, because we haven't been there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We had access to the private breakfast in the Executive Lounge but preferred the buffet instead.

Paul

Why? Is the selection limited in the lounge? Does it have hot items?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

just came back from Budapest. I know we are discussing hotels, but i have to give a couple of restaurant recommendations. Hungarikum Bisztro was an AMAZING restaurant and very inexpensive. We loved it so much we ate there 2 of the 3 nights we were in Budapest. You have to have a reservation. It is very small. The other place we ate we got off Tripadvisor called the Eat and Meet. It was in a person's home which was about a 20 minute taxi ride. You share the table with about 14 other people. The food was beyond fantastic and you get to meet great people and we had the most interesting time. Here is the page on Tripadvisor. I highly recommend it. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d7761725-Reviews-Eat_Meet-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

Why? Is the selection limited in the lounge? Does it have hot items?

Sorry for my late response. No you have to stay on the top (8th?) floor to have access to that lounge. We enjoyed the buffet so much we ate downstairs each morning.

Paul

Sorry for my late response. No you have to stay on the top (8th?) floor to have access to that lounge. We enjoyed the buffet so much we ate downstairs each morning.

Paul

Hi Paul, no worries at all! Thank you for responding :-).

We stayed at the Marriott on the river. If you can, get executive level so that you have access to the lounge. The lounge has a large terrace with views up and down the river and of the castle hill. Breakfast is very nice with hot and cold selections. In the evening, there was so much food that we didn't even go out to dinner. See Trip Advisor for the latest reviews of this hotel.

The Marriott is within easy walking distance of Parliament, Shoes on the Danube, St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Central Market. The area between all these places is fairly flat so it makes for easy walking. The hotel is also within easy walking distance of the beginning point for the hop on hop off buses.

We stayed (2016) Intercontinental. Great location for walking to sites and Chain Bridge very close. We did breakfast buffet in the hotel and it was very good.

We are staying at the Hilton Budapest, but Viking won't provide transfers from airport or to the ship since we didn't book through them. Any suggestions for ground transportation?