Cruise Critic Community
ninaks

Budapest hotel recommendations

We are staying at the Hilton Budapest, but Viking won't provide transfers from airport or to the ship since we didn't book through them. Any suggestions for ground transportation?

At the airport, go to the official taxi booth. Tell the person there where you want to go and pay them. They will give you a receipt which you, in turn, give to the taxi driver.

For transport to the ship, have the hotel call a taxi for you. Don't hail one yourself. Taxis are very, very cheap in Budapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are staying at the Hilton Budapest, but Viking won't provide transfers from airport or to the ship since we didn't book through them. Any suggestions for ground transportation?

We have used Budapest Airport Taxi for our transfers within Budapest on multiple visits. Airport to Hotel, Hotel to Train Station etc. The owner is very good about responses and we have found him to be quite reliable and friendly. Speaks good English. Reasonable rates.

Web site is http://www.budapestairporttaxi.com.

Contact is Pulai Alajos.

He is our go to person when in Budapest.:)

If you book him to transport you from Airport to the Hilton he will meet you in airport after you exit customs with a sign and your name on it. He will quote you a fixed price for your transit. He will also meet you at Hotel at your designated time to bring you to airport.

He has great reviews on Trip Advisor. We first met and used his services in 2011. Great guy.

We are staying at the La Prima Fashion in May. Looks like a quirky boutique hotel, but the reviews are wonderful. Location seems great, anyone pass it when they were in Budapest. We are going to use their transfer from the airport, seems very reasonable. Rate is wonderful, using our funds to have a private guide for 2 days, instead of spending it in a fancy hotel room.

We have also booked the La Prima Fashion Hotel. Great reviews on TripAdvisor, and the location is what we were looking for as well. We have a relative who lived in Budapest for a few years, and he gave a thumbs up as to the hotel's central location, but had not stayed there. I hope you'll report back after your sailing!

We have also booked the La Prima Fashion Hotel. Great reviews on TripAdvisor, and the location is what we were looking for as well. We have a relative who lived in Budapest for a few years, and he gave a thumbs up as to the hotel's central location, but had not stayed there. I hope you'll report back after your sailing!

Will post when we return.. I have arranged thru the hotel airport transfer, charge 6000 huf, about $20.00 for 2.. thought that was very reasonable and they charge it to our hotel bill.

Can you tell me what you particularly liked about this hotel? Thanks.

I have just booked the Zichy for December and looking forward to it. Know someone who has stayed there and it is convenient, friendly and she had no issues

THANKS so much for the prompt responses.

Hi Bobilonia,

I was just checking back to see if you contacted and booked your private taxi transfer with Pulai Alajos and Budapest Airport Taxi.

Not sure when you will be there but please tell him hello from Tom & Brenda from Texas. Super nice guy, hope it worked out for you.

We last saw him 12/2015 while in Budapest for the Christmas Markets.

Will post when we return.. I have arranged thru the hotel airport transfer, charge 6000 huf, about $20.00 for 2.. thought that was very reasonable and they charge it to our hotel bill.

We will need their transfer in the opposite direction from the hotel to the airport as we are sailing Nuremburg to Budapest. Looking forward to hearing what you think. We booked the hotel as non-refundable, so we'll get what we get, but it'll at least be good for our expectations to be set appropriately. Thank you in advance!

We will need their transfer in the opposite direction from the hotel to the airport as we are sailing Nuremburg to Budapest. Looking forward to hearing what you think. We booked the hotel as non-refundable, so we'll get what we get, but it'll at least be good for our expectations to be set appropriately. Thank you in advance!

I always book refundable as I cancelled and rebooked this hotel 3 times, as price reduced each time. I'll let you know about the transfer, which I booked thru the hotel.

I always book refundable as I cancelled and rebooked this hotel 3 times, as price reduced each time. I'll let you know about the transfer, which I booked thru the hotel.

Good point. When we were in France last year, one of our hotels reduced their rates a handful of times over the course of many months. If I'd remembered that, I probably would've been able to talk DH into booking the refundable rate. He likes the savings he sees for the non-refundable rates, and I completely forgot about how our past rates had been reduced over time. Oh well. In both Prague and Budapest, we at least have the illusion of a reduced rate (if the refundable rates stay where they are, of course!).

How the world has changed. When I was a student in France in 1967, we were making a reservation at our regular Paris hotel for the weekend that included July 14 and asked if the rate would be the same despite the holiday? The proprieteur raised himself up to his full height and proclaimed [in my translation]: "Monsieur, this is a legitimate establishment!!!" Now, everybody follows "dynamic pricing" without a care in the world.

Hi Travlgirl,

We are at the LaPrima hotel now, its in a great location. 1 street from the river 1 street from the pedestrian walk. Restaurants are all here. Rooms are adequate clean quirky.. breakfast is very good. For the price I don't think you will be disappointed. The transfer from the hotel was great. 6000huf for 2 picked us up at the airport right to the hotel door.

I have booked BookinBudapest for airport transfer. fixed rate 30euro from BUD to hotel for 2. From hotel to pier 15euro.

I have booked BookinBudapest for airport transfer. fixed rate 30euro from BUD to hotel for 2. From hotel to pier 15euro.

The transfer rate from our hotel came to 20 euros, check with your hotel

Hi Travlgirl,

We are at the LaPrima hotel now, its in a great location. 1 street from the river 1 street from the pedestrian walk. Restaurants are all here. Rooms are adequate clean quirky.. breakfast is very good. For the price I don't think you will be disappointed. The transfer from the hotel was great. 6000huf for 2 picked us up at the airport right to the hotel door.

Excellent! Thank you so much for remembering to post the feedback. Really looking forward to the trip!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Has anyone stayed at both The Ritz Carlton and The Four Seasons? I'm booked at one but thinking of switching to the other....

Stayed at the Gresham Palace (Four Seasons) and we're staying there again in November. Love the hotel. It is always on the list for being one of the best hotels of the world.

Stayed at the Gresham Palace (Four Seasons) and we're staying there again in November. Love the hotel. It is always on the list for being one of the best hotels of the world.

We have never stayed at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace but it is beautiful inside and outside especially at night. Their lobby was decorated beautifully at Christmas for the Christmas Markets. We stayed very nearby at The Intercontinental primarily for the awesome view of Buda, Castle Hill and the Chain Bridge.

Buffet breakfast at Intercontinental was great and very convenient to walk to all locations.

If I wanted a more luxurious accommodation, I would definitely choose Gresham Palace.

Would you folk mind explaining the Buda vs the Pest? I am just starting to research our trip from Amsterdam to Budapest. I want to stay post and pre cruise and am enjoying reading your post, but... Hmm, so much to think about. We don't sail till Aug. 2018. Castle Hill Hilton sound nice, but I'd like an place to stay in a location close to things to see. But then the question is what is your favorite things to see in Buda and/or Pest. What's your plans and/or favorites there. Again, I'm very much a newbie where riverr cruising is conserned. Thank you. Pat

Buda is the old city on a steep bluff (made for a good fortress), and Pest is the "new" city on the other side of the river and is built on flat land. The Chain Bridge was the first bridge to unite the 2 sections into Budapest. The Pest side is much larger than the Buda side, and contains most of the business and industry. There are a lot of interesting sites and things to do and places to visit on both sides. The view of Budapest atop the hill in Buda is breathtaking.

Roz

Would you folk mind explaining the Buda vs the Pest? I am just starting to research our trip from Amsterdam to Budapest. I want to stay post and pre cruise and am enjoying reading your post, but... Hmm, so much to think about. We don't sail till Aug. 2018. Castle Hill Hilton sound nice, but I'd like an place to stay in a location close to things to see. But then the question is what is your favorite things to see in Buda and/or Pest. What's your plans and/or favorites there. Again, I'm very much a newbie where riverr cruising is conserned. Thank you. Pat

There will be many great places to see in Buda or in Pest. So no matter where you stay (within reason) you'll be near some sights, and you'll have to travel some for others.

Favorite things on the Pest Side - Parliament, St. Stephen's Basilica, the Synagogue, a number of cool public squares. On the Buda Side - the Castle, the Mathias Church, Fisherman's Bastion, Hospital in the Rock, etc.

We stayed in the Four Seasons on the Pest side near the Chain Bridge and the location was fine. The Old Town Hilton has a great location too. Basically decide if you want to climb the hill to go sightseeing then come down for the evening, or if you want to do that in reverse. We think that we saw more restaurants in the area of the Four Seasons than we did on Castle Hill, but you won't starve up on the hill for sure.

If you want more details on what there is to see in Budapest, I did a blog of our pre-cruise stay with pictures. The link is in my signature. That may give you an idea of what sites you might want to stay closer to.

As someone who has been to Budapest many, many times since my childhood (my parents were Hungarian and it was my first spoken language) I would definitely recommend staying on the Pest side as a tourist.

Buda was (and is) mostly residential. Most of the things of interest are in one place - Fisherman's Bastion and St Mathias church with the Castle not too far, if interested (it is a museum, better seen from the Pest side).

http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/budapest-attractions/buda-castle-hill/

Pest on the other hand is the older, business part of the city (like a "downtown") with many more sights, hotels, shopping and restaurants.

As many others above have posted, staying around the Chain bridge (Intercontinental, Marriott, Four Seasons, etc) is very central and convenient to everything

Don't miss the Central Market with food and souvenirs (try the local sausages -served hot upstairs or cold downstairs):

http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/budapest-attractions/central-market-hall/

Stepping back to a different time, visit the Gerbeaud bakery for the best desserts you ever had (very near the Chain Bridge):

http://www.gerbeaud.hu/

Pre-book a tour of the Parliament House to avoid lines (and disappointment of missing it).

Also, time permittting, take a ride on the oldest continental metro from central Pest to the city park for a nice stroll and visit one of the best known bath houses there (even just to walk in to see it)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_1_(Budapest_Metro)

http://szechenyispabaths.com/

Enjoy!

Edited by Paulchili

I stayed at the Sofitel Chain Bridge on the Pest side, and found it to be the best of both worlds. Any hotel in that area (it's across the street from the Intercontinental) is in a great location for sightseeing.

Roz

Has anyone stayed at both The Ritz Carlton and The Four Seasons? I'm booked at one but thinking of switching to the other....

It really comes down to your budget. IMO, nothing compares to the Four Seasons Gresham Palace - particularly in a Danube River view room. We stayed there for several nights and loved everything about it. We'll be staying there again on our next trip to Budapest. That said, the Ritz is a very nice option but not really in the same league.

We also stayed one night at the end of our trip at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy. It is a former palace from the 19th century that was turned into a four star hotel in 2009. It's lovely but it's more of a city hotel and you won't have the views of some of the others. It was very comfortable and pleasant for a one night stopover between flights. They arranged for our taxis to/from the airport and we were able to put the charges on our bill. They also had a fantastic (included) breakfast buffet and the staff could not have been nicer.