Cruise Critic Community
ninaks

Budapest hotel recommendations

Made the switch to 4S River View room. Rate seemed reasonable for the chain. YOLO

You'll love it! We'll be in Budapest for 4 nights next year and it's very tempting to book it again, but I'm also interested in trying out the new Aria. Decisions, decisions ... ;)

It really comes down to your budget. IMO, nothing compares to the Four Seasons Gresham Palace - particularly in a Danube River view room. We stayed there for several nights and loved everything about it. We'll be staying there again on our next trip to Budapest. That said, the Ritz is a very nice option but not really in the same league.

We also stayed one night at the end of our trip at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy. It is a former palace from the 19th century that was turned into a four star hotel in 2009. It's lovely but it's more of a city hotel and you won't have the views of some of the others. It was very comfortable and pleasant for a one night stopover between flights. They arranged for our taxis to/from the airport and we were able to put the charges on our bill. They also had a fantastic (included) breakfast buffet and the staff could not have been nicer.

I would totally agree with what you had to say about The Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel. Mr. Giovanni The General Manger was waiting to meet us as we had conversed on saying what a Great and wonderful team that they have at The Concierge Desk and he had also lived here in Sugar Land, Texas some years ago.

Seeing that we were celebrating our Anniversary we were up grade to a Magnificent Suite in The Front Of The Hotel overlooking that of The Chain Bridge and all the Pest side all lighted up in The evenings .

They had arranged for us a Horse and Carriage ride for the Hotel up to The Fisherman's Bastion and what a Spectacular evening that was with the view like a Fairy Land all lighted up and shimmer and Glowing in The Evening Sky.

The Hotel is rated as the most Luxurious Hotel in All Of Europe and is rated 4th in The World. Yes it is Pricey in a way but when on vacation enjoy. The Gresham Palace Hotel is also rated Number One in Budapest by TripAdvisor as well as the Hotel that we stayed in Amsterdam that of The Toren European Boutique Hotel. Excellent .

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

The Gresham Palace Hotel is also rated Number One in Budapest by TripAdvisor ...

Believe it or not (and it is tough to believe that anything could be better!) the new Aria recently bumped it out of the top spot - and at a significantly lower price point. I'll be back with a comparison after our next stay late next year. As much as we loved the Four Seasons, we're anxious to check out the Aria.

Believe it or not (and it is tough to believe that anything could be better!) the new Aria recently bumped it out of the top spot - and at a significantly lower price point. I'll be back with a comparison after our next stay late next year. As much as we loved the Four Seasons, we're anxious to check out the Aria.

If it is as good as its sister hotel in Prague you will be in for a real treat! Aria Prague is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in.

If it is as good as its sister hotel in Prague you will be in for a real treat! Aria Prague is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in.

Wonderful to hear as we're staying there for 3 nights, too! Thanks.

Tripadvisor is an excellent source when considering hotels but I don't take the rankings too seriously. I always look at the top 5-10 and read the reviews carefully. Quite often a hotel will receive a high ranking when it is in a lower price tier because of the perceived value. Interesting to note that FS is actually ranked third after Aria and a very inexpensive hotel. I looked at the Aria when considering an upcoming stay but didn't like the lack of privacy and views with the unusual courtyard style layout. Being a fan of Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons it was no contest. You probably can't go wrong with any of the top rated ones but it depends on what features you truly value.

Tripadvisor is an excellent source when considering hotels but I don't take the rankings too seriously. I always look at the top 5-10 and read the reviews carefully. Quite often a hotel will receive a high ranking when it is in a lower price tier because of the perceived value. Interesting to note that FS is actually ranked third after Aria and a very inexpensive hotel. I looked at the Aria when considering an upcoming stay but didn't like the lack of privacy and views with the unusual courtyard style layout. Being a fan of Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons it was no contest. You probably can't go wrong with any of the top rated ones but it depends on what features you truly value.

I've found the same thing with TripAdvisor. With the Aria, I knew very specifically which suite I wanted and was fortunate it was available. I also went through every review I could find on lots of different sites. (And we do love Four Seasons. We'll be staying at the Four Seasons in Florence next month. Can't wait!)

We are going on a Danube river cruise out of Budapest. We are coming into the city a few days early. We normally like to arrange our own pre-cruise arrangements. Can someone recommend a hotel, or what part of the city is best to stay at to do siteseeing. Thanks!

We stayed 3 nights at the Corinthia which is a wonderful hotel- very nice.

We stayed 3 nights at the Corinthia which is a wonderful hotel- very nice.

We stayed a couple nights at InterContinental Budapest. Great location and very nice hotel. Have a great river cruise :)

We stayed a couple nights at InterContinental Budapest. Great location and very nice hotel. Have a great river cruise :)

I agree with the post above, we have stayed twice at the Intercontinental Budapest and have had great service, wonderful rooms with a view and they have a great Breakfast Buffet. The views of the Danube, Chain Bridge and the Buda side of the river with Castle Hill cannot be beat. The only slight negative I will mention was the bathrooms were small but all the positives far outweigh a small bathroom in my opinion. Convenient to walking to all locations on the Pest side, the Tram and walking across the Chain Bridge if you choose for magnificent view, especially at night. It will always be my go to Hotel when in Budapest. Concierge services are quite helpful too!

We are going on a Danube river cruise out of Budapest. We are coming into the city a few days early. We normally like to arrange our own pre-cruise arrangements. Can someone recommend a hotel, or what part of the city is best to stay at to do siteseeing. Thanks!

We stayed at the Budapest Aria Hotel near the St. Stephen's Cathedral (Pest side) after a Christmas Market cruise this past year. One of the best hotels for service, ambiance and location that we could have picked. They have a complimentary afternoon wine and cheese hour (actually, 2 hours) with live music each afternoon. We were able to walk everywhere. I would definitely stay again, it was such a great way to finish off a fantastic cruise! Loved this hotel!!

We stayed at the Budapest Aria Hotel near the St. Stephen's Cathedral (Pest side) after a Christmas Market cruise this past year. One of the best hotels for service, ambiance and location that we could have picked. They have a complimentary afternoon wine and cheese hour (actually, 2 hours) with live music each afternoon. We were able to walk everywhere. I would definitely stay again, it was such a great way to finish off a fantastic cruise! Loved this hotel!!

Happy to hear this! We are booked there for this year. Last time we stayed in a river view suite at the Four Seasons, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Everything I hear about the Aria sounds terrific, though, and it looks beautiful! Was the rooftop bar open while you were there?

Happy to hear this! We are booked there for this year. Last time we stayed in a river view suite at the Four Seasons, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Everything I hear about the Aria sounds terrific, though, and it looks beautiful! Was the rooftop bar open while you were there?

Yes, it was. It is small but very nice, we even got greeted at the elevator! Not sure if you can compare this hotel to the Four Seasons being that it is a smaller boutique hotel. However, this is definitely one that I would recommend to anyone coming to Budapest. It was more intimate and the afternoon wine/cheese gathering in the lobby and listening to the musicians was really special. Plus, the location was a bit more centralized depending on what you are doing. The location was perfect for us, as we walked everywhere.

Speaking of the Four Seasons, we went to the afternoon tea they have for something different to do. It had nice holiday decorations but I doubt I would recommend it because besides the food, there was no ambiance music to enhance the experience...plus the food they provided was not something I would even order in a restaurant. :) Have fun...I sure hope to go back to Budapest one day!!

Yes, it was. It is small but very nice, we even got greeted at the elevator! Not sure if you can compare this hotel to the Four Seasons being that it is a smaller boutique hotel. However, this is definitely one that I would recommend to anyone coming to Budapest. It was more intimate and the afternoon wine/cheese gathering in the lobby and listening to the musicians was really special. Plus, the location was a bit more centralized depending on what you are doing. The location was perfect for us, as we walked everywhere.

Speaking of the Four Seasons, we went to the afternoon tea they have for something different to do. It had nice holiday decorations but I doubt I would recommend it because besides the food, there was no ambiance music to enhance the experience...plus the food they provided was not something I would even order in a restaurant. :) Have fun...I sure hope to go back to Budapest one day!!

Thanks! We like trying different places, and the location of the Aria looks perfect. We never tried the afternoon tea while we were at the FS, but absolutely loved their breakfast buffet and the couple of light meals we had in the bar area.

I've read all of the posts on this thread but would love to see any updated/new recommendations, since some of the posts are now several years old.  We will be arriving in Budapest in late June and staying three nights before embarking on a Uniworld river cruise.  It will be our first trip to Budapest, and we are excited to have a few days to tour and experience the area.  We are making our own plans - not doing an extension through Uniworld.   Based on what I've read here, I think we would enjoy staying on the Pest side.  Most important to us would be a quiet, comfortable room with decent air conditioning (and maybe a nice view?), convenient location to sights and/or public transportation,  good breakfast, and helpful staff.   Thank you for your suggestions.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, bubbulz said:

I stayed at the fabulous Aria Hotel after a Christmas Market river cruise in 2017. It was by far the most unique, gorgeous, friendly, special hotel I had ever experienced. Besides the cheerful themed rooms, it had wine/cheese and live music daily reception (free to guests) in the afternoon.  The bar upstairs had beautiful views. Just LOVED it and would stay again, if I am fortunate enough to return to Budapest . It is more of a boutique type hotel but to get the acknowledgement it deserves while still being relatively new, is saying something. The location is perfect for walking everywhere on the Pest side, which we did even though it was freezing cold. Can you tell that I highly recommend it (and I have experienced many beautiful hotels all over the world but this one just is the most special to me.)

19 hours ago, thrilled4time said:

I stayed at the fabulous Aria Hotel after a Christmas Market river cruise in 2017. It was by far the most unique, gorgeous, friendly, special hotel I had ever experienced. Besides the cheerful themed rooms, it had wine/cheese and live music daily reception (free to guests) in the afternoon.  The bar upstairs had beautiful views. Just LOVED it and would stay again, if I am fortunate enough to return to Budapest . It is more of a boutique type hotel but to get the acknowledgement it deserves while still being relatively new, is saying something. The location is perfect for walking everywhere on the Pest side, which we did even though it was freezing cold. Can you tell that I highly recommend it (and I have experienced many beautiful hotels all over the world but this one just is the most special to me.)

Thank you - that is one we will definitely look into!

19 hours ago, thrilled4time said:

Ditto all of this! We were there in December and it was outstanding. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, thrilled4time said:

It is so funny that you said this about the Four Seasons afternoon tea. We too, went to it during the holidays in 2017. It was not at all what I was expecting, the ambiance, besides the Xmas tree was 'eh, even if the china was beautiful. The food was definitely something I would not order in a restaurant. If I recall, the pastries were good though. It was a been there, done that experience. Same view as you!

On 2/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, thrilled4time said:

Agree! We stayed at the Aria this past November - marvelous. 

We had been thinking about the Intercontinental or Sofitel, but it definitely sounds like we should look into the Aria.  I appreciate the input!  I read several recommendations to book hotels at the refundable rate in case prices decreased later.  Did any of you find that the Aria's prices decreased after you booked?  

Also - what type of room did you stay in?  Are some larger than others?  Have better views?  Etc....

Edited by Caligirl58

55 minutes ago, Caligirl58 said:

We had been thinking about the Intercontinental or Sofitel, but it definitely sounds like we should look into the Aria.  I appreciate the input!  I read several recommendations to book hotels at the refundable rate in case prices decreased later.  Did any of you find that the Aria's prices decreased after you booked?  

Also - what type of room did you stay in?  Are some larger than others?  Have better views?  Etc....

We have stayed twice. I did not notice a price decrease after booking but know that we received the best deal by booking directly with the hotel.  We most enjoyed our room with the city view rather than the courtyard view. Some of the rooms are very large & include a sitting room - too pricey for us. We really liked the sun room (actually a room that you sleep in) - it is on the top floor of the hotel and the views are spectacular. BTW - you can book refundable rooms directly through the hotel's website.

Lots of special little amenities at the Aria & the service is impeccable.

Edited by dogs4fun

Try River boat hotel Mirabell.  great value & wonderful vista.

We enjoyed our stay at FS Gresham Palace.  I’ve stayed in over 20 FS worldwide and believe me, they are not all created equally but in Budapest the service, food, ambiance was definitely up to par for FS and I actually thought our rate was reasonable for the chain, though pricey for the city.  The location was outstanding and we had amazing views of the Chain Bridge.  Highly recommend.  We were in town Oct. 2017 and there was wonderful music in the lobby bar every evening.  Odd there wasn’t music during the holidays.  There are some nice choices in Budapest.