tell me about cunard

spendalot

The most frequent mistake that veterens of "other" cruise lines make when they sail on Cunard is that they walk up the gangplank expecting to walk into a THEME PARK when they are actually entering (and partaking in) a LIVING PART OF HISTORY.

Cunard has been in business for 165 years. The majority of this time, they were in business to provide TRANSPORTATION, to get you from point A to point B, and to make it as pleasant as possible. The product that many cruise lines offer today is quite different, more like a floating theme park.

While Cunard has borrowed many ideas from the johmny-come-lately lines (they HAD to, to survive), they still offer a bit of the olden days experience.

Much of what you might find (or overlook) on a Cunard ship is that which is beneath the surface, so to speak. It's a difficult to explain concept, and again, people often sail on QE-2 or QM-2 and just "don't get it".

If you visit colonial Williamsburg and expect Disney World, you'll probably be disappointed.

A vacation need not be completely un-educational to be enjoyable!

Thanks! After I posted I looked up the member rating 1.9. Not good. I read the reviews and as some liked it some were completely turned off.

It is interesting that none else could write anything about it one way or the other. I guess they just want to keep it to themselves.

It's hard to tell someone what Cunard is like. There are many people who wouldn't sail on anything else because they like the cultured ambiance and quieter atmosphere than is true on some other ships.

There is also a difference between QM2 and QE2. QE2 is older, more formal in dress and behavior, and more traditional. Some people focus on worn spots in the carpeting and are disappointed the ship is not "modern" so they give it a low score. Personally, I like the "elegant old lady" quality of the ship and don't mind a few things that show wear. The history and experience more than make up for that in my opinion, to say nothing of the scones at tea! (QE2)

So, do you want "fun" or relaxation? Do you have to keep busy every moment with exciting activities or would you be happy with a good book from the extensive library and a cozy spot along a window?

If you are going to Hawaii, remember that you are going to have a LOT of days at sea. Are you going to miss not having ports to visit? Will it bother you to have a lot of elderly people on board, or will you enjoy them as the well-traveled interesting people they tend to be?

Did this help?

PS - If you are going on QE2, I have a copy of a series of old posts about what not to miss on this quirky ship and would be glad to send you a copy if you will post your email address.

I tend to think that if you enjoyed your cruise experience on HAL that you will enjoy a crossing or cruise on Cunard. I have been on both and find them very similar. Both have their roots in transatlantic passenger transportation, and, traditionally, both well represented the countries of which they are registered. Both tend to attract a more affluent, better educated, older mix of passengers.

Cunard is more expensive, and tends to be a bit more formal than HAL. Cunard markets its history while HAL seems to me to be downplaying its Dutch roots now that Carnival Corporation owns them.

I think that Hull 736 and JBailey gave you excellent advice about Cunard and that sense of history and tradition felt onboard.

I can not comment about Celebrity as I have not been on their ships yet. I too am in my mid forties, and have enjoyed all of my trips on both Cunard and HAL. Let us know what you decide to do, and if I wasn't going 'round the Horn on the QM2's first voyage into this fabled territory, I would be thinking about going to Hawaii on her first voyage to the islands.

Archived