Remember the Italian Line Raphaello and Michaelangelo?

anne13

I have sheet music (for piano, I think)  for the theme song "Cristoforo Columbo".  I think you can guess what ship that's from!  And I just found a little card that says "With the compliments of the Italian Line", but I don't remember what came with that card or which ship it was from.  I also have that record from the "Oceanic" and listen to it when I need an "Italian Fix"  Oh, oh, Oceanic ship...tu se bella bella bella...........And I remember one of our last trips on the "Raffaello" when my father made some comment to staff (I cant remember what, but it was pretty much about the passenger mix on board)  and the reply  was "Si....Il personi Italiani, ma il soldi Americani"  Which translates something along the line of,    Ya..the staff is Italian, but the money comes from the Americans.

Edited by marco

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Something else to try to find!  I have a record album from the S. S. Oceanic (Home Lines):  Romy Formica and the Favolosi that I bought when I sailed on the Oceanic.  The Band played in the ship's Italian Hall and always play this when I need an "Italian fix" with memories of the last night at sea before returning to New York City.

I have 12 or more ship record albums at home, the only Home Line's one I have is for the SS Homeric recorded in 1959 with the Donzelli Quintet. I also have Cunard's Franconia and Mauretania, Sitmar Fairsea and Fairwind, Costa's Federico C, Matson Line, Grace Line, Polish Gdnynia Line's MS Batory, Holland America, The Royal British Navy's HMS Ark Royal, a smll 45rpm for the Achille Lauro, Incres Lines SS Nassau and SS Victoria and Sealink's Prinses Beatrix. those are all the records i have from ships

Homeric Lp.jpg

Edited by norboy76
resize photo

As I understand it the Michaelangelo was sold to the  Shaw of Iran for his military and I saw the Leonardo da Vinci in the Caribbean about 20 years ago. It was still serving as a cruise ship. I have no idea who owned.  It was still serving as a cruise ship. I have no idea who owned it.  The only and main 

improvement was the introduction of better Stabilizers. Remember the ledge around the dining tables so that the plates and cups would not fall off.  Which ship was the sister ship to the Andra Doria?    Mike

I'm pretty sure the "sister" was the Cristoforo Columbo.  then the LdaV was built to replace the  AD and it had the same basic profile.  I never understood why there were no portholes on A deck or below on the "M" or the "R".  It could have had a lot more oceanview cabins that would have been a lot more in demand on cruises.

The Leonardo da Vinci was taken out of service in 1978 and burned while in layup in 1980. I'm not aware of any alteration of her original stabilizers .  Raffaello and Michelangelo were twin liners with identical deck plans although Raffaello had a very slightly larger gross tonnage.  I never could perceive where the increased space was.

For some reason these two ships were built without portholes in some hull cabins which could easily accommodate portholes.  That was a very bad decision.

Andrea Doria and Christoforo Colombo were also twins sharing the same deck plan. 

Each ship had unique interior decor and unique ambiance.  I'll post some comparative images.

Dear Old Salts,

This forum has inspired me to do some internet research. Some of you probably already know this ,but the organization Italian Liners Historical Society  has an informative web site italianliners.com. The society is dedicated to the collection, preservation and archiving of materials related to all Italian liners and companies 1890's to 1970's. Membership gives you access to digitized archives containing blue prints, deck plans, photos, passenger lists, menus,schedules, advertising etc. Well worth checking out. You might even find your name on the passenger list when you sailed.

Jack Wickman

Edited by sailingfinn
addition

13 hours ago, sailingfinn said:

Dear Old Salts,

This forum has inspired me to do some internet research. Some of you probably already know this ,but the organization Italian Liners Historical Society  has an informative web site italianliners.com. The society is dedicated to the collection, preservation and archiving of materials related to all Italian liners and companies 1890's to 1970's. Membership gives you access to digitized archives containing blue prints, deck plans, photos, passenger lists, menus,schedules, advertising etc. Well worth checking out. You might even find your name on the passenger list when you sailed.

Jack Wickman

Thank you Jack.  

On 8/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, Conte Di Savoia said:

The Leonardo da Vinci was taken out of service in 1978 and burned while in layup in 1980. I'm not aware of any alteration of her original stabilizers .  Raffaello and Michelangelo were twin liners with identical deck plans although Raffaello had a very slightly larger gross tonnage.  I never could perceive where the increased space was.

For some reason these two ships were built without portholes in some hull cabins which could easily accommodate portholes.  That was a very bad decision.

Andrea Doria and Christoforo Colombo were also twins sharing the same deck plan. 

Each ship had unique interior decor and unique ambiance.  I'll post some comparative images.

If Leonardo burned in 1980 what did I see in the Caribbean around 1998 which had the same name and looked the same?   Also I didn’t mean that modern stabilizers were added to any of these old ships but they have made modern cruise ships much more comfortable for the  guests.   Mike 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have booked MSC Meraviglia in Yacht Club for a January sailing and am looking forward to a different (Italian) cruise experience.

Wasn’t the Costa Concordia MSC?   I have never

been on that line previously.  If so hopefully the Captain is not going to impress his girlfriend. Is he still under house arrest?  Or is he in prison?

I was reading somewhere recently that I think it was that line that changes for everything separately 

True or false?   Mike

22 minutes ago, bobby3334 said:
25 minutes ago, bobby3334 said:

If Leonardo burned in 1980 what did I see in the Caribbean around 1998 which had the same name and looked the same?   

I don't know.  Are you sure it was in 1998?  She did sail the Caribbean at the end of her career but was long gone in 1998.  There are other ships which had a similar profile....I'm thinking of Saga Rose and Saga Ruby, ex Sagafjord and Vistafjord respectively.

3 minutes ago, Conte Di Savoia said:

I could be off by a couple of years but not 20.

I am certain the name was Leonardo da Vinci. I

was so happy to see it I had my photo taken with it.  To me it was unbelievable that after so

many years... I crossed from Barcelona via Lisbon to NYC on it last in 1972...it was still going.   Mike 

3 hours ago, bobby3334 said:

Wasn’t the Costa Concordia MSC?   I have never

been on that line previously.  If so hopefully the Captain is not going to impress his girlfriend. Is he still under house arrest?  Or is he in prison?

I was reading somewhere recently that I think it was that line that changes for everything separately 

True or false?   Mike

Yes and No.  The Yacht Club is handled differently than the remainder ( a sort of 2nd class distinction) . In 2nd a number of items that are customarily included are charged for. IMO nothing whose exclusion would ruin the experience or break the bank. However, MSC's pricing for 2nd class is very attractive in comparison to other lines while still offering superior service, food and amenities. I understand MSC has adjusted their optional pricing for cruises starting in North America. Incidentally, trips I have taken originating from Miami have all had 50% +foreign nationals passengers which I rather enjoy.

No...the Costa Concorida was "Costa" Lines.  Both Costa and MSC have different price structures for sailing out of Europe and those sailing from the US.  On another note, my father sailed on the "Rex" in 1937.  I sure wish I had some memorabilia from that!

4 hours ago, sailingfinn said:

Yes and No.  The Yacht Club is handled differently than the remainder ( a sort of 2nd class distinction) . In 2nd a number of items that are customarily included are charged for. IMO nothing whose exclusion would ruin the experience or break the bank. However, MSC's pricing for 2nd class is very attractive in comparison to other lines while still offering superior service, food and amenities. I understand MSC has adjusted their optional pricing for cruises starting in North America. Incidentally, trips I have taken originating from Miami have all had 50% +foreign nationals passengers which I rather enjoy.

I the mix too.  So if I understand you correctly the Yacht club includes everything that say Princess or HAL does (perhaps more). In this two class distinction are dining rooms and parts 

of the ship reserved for them like in days gone by and 2nd class have lesser  amenities or do you buy those up once you are on board if you wish to ?   Thanks for answering and I don’t want to divert the thread but I will look up MSC

on CC.  They seem to have some interesting 

Itineraries that others don’t.  On the other hand I 

hate to be nickel and dimed to death or have to

pay for a bed pillow.   Again thanks!    Mike 

13 minutes ago, marco said:

No...the Costa Concorida was "Costa" Lines.  Both Costa and MSC have different price structures for sailing out of Europe and those sailing from the US.  On another note, my father sailed on the "Rex" in 1937.  I sure wish I had some memorabilia from that!

Thanks.  I had a feeling that might be the case!

Mike

On 8/14/2019 at 9:37 PM, Conte Di Savoia said:

Yes.. Leo caught fire in July 1980 while she was laid up... I co-incidentally was in Italy visiting someone I met on the Leo when we got the news.. very sad day.😢

leonardo on fire.jpg

10 hours ago, bobby3334 said:

if I understand you correctly the Yacht club includes everything that say Princess or HAL does (perhaps more). In this two class distinction are dining rooms and parts 

of the ship reserved for them like in days gone by and 2nd class have lesser  amenities or do you buy those up once you are on board if you wish to ?   

Having booked a cruise on MSC Meraviglia in Yacht Class, I expect a current up-step in what I experience on Princess as an Elite loyalty guess and in HAL as a 5 Star Mariner (their highest loyalty level other than President's Club).  Will the cruise experience be a mirror of First Class on  Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, Ile de France,  etc.  Probably not.  Those days are long gone, I think.  I am not expecting that.  I am expecting a 21st Century upgrade to such by-gone First Class services that are appropriate and appreciated by today's cruisers.

Thanks very much.  I lived in Italy from 68-72

and searching for as close as one can get to the

ships of those days.   I too am elite on Princess and cruise 

a great deal too on HAL.  Usually about five or six cruises per year.  Mike

Edited by bobby3334

56 minutes ago, bobby3334 said:

Thanks very much.  I lived in Italy from 68-72

and searching for as close as one can get to the

ships of those days.   I too am elite on Princess and cruise 

a great deal too on HAL.  Usually about five or six cruises per year.  Mike

Hi Bobby

As you know there is no real modern equivalent to the great liners, but I've heard reports that besides the large current luxury lines there are 2 that should be considered. Ponant , French, 12 ships including one with sails, 200-300 passengers. elegant and fine cuisine and very interesting itineraries.Also Vikings recent move into the ocean cruising market. I have not personally sailed on either, but have friends who have with rave reviews. Worth looking into.

Jack

• 9 months later...
On 2/18/2006 at 4:16 PM, tvaud said:

When I was a little girl, my grandparents sailed on the Michelangelo and I was fortunate enough to see them off on board. I remember the cabin being very tiny. Lots of people walking throughout the ship. In one of the main lounges, I remember looking around mesmorized...it was wonderful. When I strolled the deck with my family, I knew I didn't want to get off. My memories are so vivid for that long ago, but I was definitely smitten. I remember saying to my sister that day, "Maybe someday if I am very very lucky, I'll get to go on a cruise" Sadly, I never sailed on the Italian line, but later was able to enjoy cruises on Costa and SITMAR. By the way, that was the historic day, so I was told later by the son of an Italian Line executive, that the Michelangelo and Raphaelo were in port together....berthed right next to each other.

Maybe someday, a cruise executive will see these postings and bring back some of the style and service we once loved and now long for...

Cindra

Cindra, I had a very similar experience.  It was in the mid 60's, maybe 1965 when my grandparents left for a 2 month visit to Italy on the Raffaele.  It was their first time back to Italy since immigrating here in the early 1920's.  We too were able to go on board to see them off.  I also remember the very tiny cabin with a bunk bed. What I remember most was seeing all the things they had for children to do and the pool with a slide. I remember that I did not want to get off that beautiful ship. I think that is probably what sparked my love for cruises, though I can't cruise as often as I like.  My mother told me many years later, that my grandmother wanted to take me and my cousin with them to Italy that time, but they decided against it for fear we might get homesick or get "sick from the drinking water in Italy".  When I became an adult and took my first cruise it was on a Home Lines ship with all Italian crew.  The three Home Lines cruises were the best ever.  Nothing since has compared.

1 hour ago, SueseaQ said:

When I became an adult and took my first cruise it was on a Home Lines ship with all Italian crew.  The three Home Lines cruises were the best ever.  Nothing since has compared.

Home Lines was special, indeed.  On which Home Lines/itineraries did you sail?

Also was a fan of home lines, I took itilian line Marconi on ten day Caribbean cruise from nyc in 1979, it was cheaper than Holland America Rotterdam 7 day cruise and had a great time. Then ship was sold to Costa and became the Costa Rivera which I cruised in mid 80’s . 

22 hours ago, George C said:

Also was a fan of home lines, I took itilian line Marconi on ten day Caribbean cruise from nyc in 1979, it was cheaper than Holland America Rotterdam 7 day cruise and had a great time. Then ship was sold to Costa and became the Costa Rivera which I cruised in mid 80’s . 

Wasn't the Marconi being operated by a recent merging of the Italian Line with other Italian cruise companies?  I recall a name of something like Italian Cruises International.  I know the Leonardo da Vinci got "caught up" in that consortium and eventually failed.