Dining room screaming baby

lprime60

you would be WRONG on that assumption.

as I have said a happy baby screech is PHYSICALLY PAINFUL for my husband. as in DEBILITATINGLY SO.

any sharp loud noise also triggers my panic response. so yes my husband and have serious issues with 'happy baby noises'.

while we understand and are resigned to the fact that we have zero control over being subjected to them in most places it doesn't mean we are willing to tolerate it for more than a one off occurrence.

Are you sure cruising us the correct travel choice for you and your DH? The anger coming from your post literally "screeches" off the page!

Everyone always brings up the "obnoxious adults" argument and that doesn't hold water. If that's the case, the security people step in to manage the behavior to the point of kicking repeat offenders off the ship but you don't ever see ship staff trying to manage unruly kids/babies. You can't kick misbehaved toddlers/babies off the ship like you can with adults.......or can they?

How is a mild statement of one person's opinion an argument? I wasn't arguing a darn thing. All I was doing was making a comment on what does and doesn't bother me. Nothing more than that. And nothing more than that should be read into it.

I agree. I have to wonder about a person's value system when they use one form of bad behavior to excuse another form of bad behavior. :rolleyes:

Bad behavior is bad behavior. It isn't a rational argument to claim that another is worse to somehow justify the bad behavior being defended. :mad:

Speaking only for myself and not for the other obnoxious adult commenter, you seem to be insisting on reading too much into my comment at least. I wasn't arguing a thing. I wasn't excusing a thing. I was making a comment on what does and doesn't bother me. It isn't a rational argument - using your own language here - to wonder about my value system for this simple statement of mine.

Not that it's okay for children to screech and scream, and I certainly feel terrible for your husband to have to endure blinding headaches.

Does the noise of the dining room overwhelm his senses in general? I know it can overwhelm mine with all of the clattering dishes and folks roaming around making noise, coupled with the occasional baby noises. currently it's annoying but not so bad that its RS or nothing. however he has been approved for these fancy pants hearing aids that have noise reducing technology and directional mics and he should have them soon. we are hoping thsi will mitgate factors

If I am feeling particular sensitive to noise on a given night, I will likely skip the dining room. It just gets too chaotic sometimes.

I don't expect others to scream and yell, or to allow their children to do so, but I also don't expect others (who likely have no idea if I am ill or could get ill from their noises) to be particularly sensitive to my needs. where do you draw the line between other people being clueless/rude and voicing your needs without coming across as a total douchebag? that's our problem in most cases

I would think a cruise ship, in general, would be quite an unpleasant experience for your spouse.

during the day we avoid the pool deck unless it is a solarium/adult only pool. same with any of the public ares. we stick to a quiet lounge or area and spend a lot of time on our balconies. it's part of the reason we only sail suites.

To clear it up it wasn't a happy scream, more like im annoyed scream. I don't want anyone to think I don't like children, but I do think parents should be responsible. I would be horrified if I thought my child was disrupting someone. Anyway, in no way did this ruin our cruise, I was just wondering why no one addresses it

Did it ever occur to anyone on this forum that since the pattern was not that of a typical screaming baby it was a disorder of some type ? Perhaps early signs of Tourette Syndrome? There are also brain disorders that can cause a child to produce involuntary loud screeching noises. Know this for fact as have a nephew that was born with a severe brain disorder that makes similar screeching noises. To me it's music to my ears since he's unable to verbally communicate and is now 11 years olds. One shouldn't always jump to the conclusion that it's bad parenting.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I think that a far reach that cruise guests seated in MDR should be expected to recognize (or frankly consider) a child may have a disease not easily recognized. All they knew was they were trying to enjoy a peaceful evening enjoying their dinner and the child's noise with no effective intervention by parents/guardians (how do we actually know they were the child's parents? ;) )prevented their peaceful enjoyment.

If the child has a condition, it was not for nearby diners to speculate to that extent. IMO

Here's a new thought Husky61! I was reaching back into the recesses of my memory and suddenly remembered my activity bag! My DDs would color for a while, look at children's books for a while, look at photos of people they know for a while (notice the phrase "for a while") play with a toy, snack on some goldfish crackers...by the time the bag was done, our meal was there and another distraction (food) was available. I even made my hand dance like a doggy (brought lots of laughs) when we were desperate.

Maybe I'll bring my bag of tricks and pass it on to the loud baby table:D

Edited by momonthego17

Why oh why do people insist on bringing babies & toddlers on cruises..... Leave the little ones with Grandma or Auntie.

Do yourself and your fellow cruisers a favor and leave the little ones at home where they belong !

Not everyone has relatives they could leave the young 'uns with. Or wants to. But if someone has a problem with being on a ship with "little ones," there are high end lines.

I was on one of my first few cruises (before having my child) and we had walked through the lido eatery for an ice cream or something else mid-afternoon. There were a group of kids participating in the kids' program in some activity there. It hadn't occurred to me that there were kids on board as I hadn't heard them running up and down the hall, screaming in the dining room, or any of the other atrocious things that people complain about it. I realized that it wasn't that there weren't kids in the dining room, etc., but that the kids were pretty well-behaved.

In eleven cruises, we had misbehaving kids on just one cruise -- all of them from the same extended family, and their parents were also misbehaving too.

Yes, babies will cry and toddlers will have temper tantrums. Good parents will try to remove them to a neutral space. They understand that they will have to cut short a meal (many of us will have one parent take the stroller out while the other parent asks for the food to be packaged to go) or leave a movie and just catch up when the DVD comes out.

Did it ever occur to anyone on this forum that since the pattern was not that of a typical screaming baby it was a disorder of some type ? Perhaps early signs of Tourette Syndrome? There are also brain disorders that can cause a child to produce involuntary loud screeching noises. Know this for fact as have a nephew that was born with a severe brain disorder that makes similar screeching noises. To me it's music to my ears since he's unable to verbally communicate and is now 11 years olds.

And that changes what??? Unnecessary noise is still unnecessary.

One shouldn't always jump to the conclusion that it's bad parenting.

The bad parenting doesn't come form the child making noise (for whatever reason). The bad parenting comes from not reacting to the noise and removing the discomfort from the others around them....i.e. taking the kid back to the cabin.

I wonder how long this thread will go with most everyone saying the same thing over and over?:confused:

Probably as long as people keep trying to justify bad behavior by both the child and the parents. ;)

Edited by Who Cares?

Not everyone has relatives they could leave the young 'uns with. Or wants to. But if someone has a problem with being on a ship with "little ones' date='" there are high end lines. [/b']

I was on one of my first few cruises (before having my child) and we had walked through the lido eatery for an ice cream or something else mid-afternoon. There were a group of kids participating in the kids' program in some activity there. It hadn't occurred to me that there were kids on board as I hadn't heard them running up and down the hall, screaming in the dining room, or any of the other atrocious things that people complain about it. I realized that it wasn't that there weren't kids in the dining room, etc., but that the kids were pretty well-behaved.

In eleven cruises, we had misbehaving kids on just one cruise -- all of them from the same extended family, and their parents were also misbehaving too.

Yes, babies will cry and toddlers will have temper tantrums. Good parents will try to remove them to a neutral space. They understand that they will have to cut short a meal (many of us will have one parent take the stroller out while the other parent asks for the food to be packaged to go) or leave a movie and just catch up when the DVD comes out.

And if a child can't control themselves and the parents refuse to, there are other vacation choices for them as well.......camping in the middle of the woods comes to mind so that only the animals will have to listen to the screeching of a small child. :rolleyes:

We were recenty on a cruise and had the 6 pm dining and the table next to us had a baby that would just let out a loud scream several times during dinner. Nothing was said by any of the the staff to the parents and this happened every night. Why is it that we saw people being put out on formal nite for wearing shorts. And no one cared about babys screaming.

My dear Mother lost two babies, she would turn in her grave if she read some of the baby stories on CC.

And if a child can't control themselves and the parents refuse to, there are other vacation choices for them as well.......camping in the middle of the woods comes to mind so that only the animals will have to listen to the screeching of a small child. :rolleyes:

I am a crotchety old thing, and sometimes have to try REALLY hard to find my inner peace in the face of other humans and all the annoying stuff they do.

But I recognise that's largely my problem, and one I have to deal with if I'm going to climb onto a boat with a few thousand others in close quarters.

So I while I understand where you're coming from, I disagree. I think it's actually the people who can't hack sharing a public space with other humans, and those unpredictable and sometimes outrageous things other humans do, who would be better off camping in the middle of nowhere.

I've decided not to ever let those things ruin a well earned holiday.

not everyone agrees with your assessment and would be willing to tolerate it.

sorry but would you accept "a" loud screech every ten minutes if this was at the movie theater?! I think not and no there is not much difference in situations. both are public venues where certain standards are to be expected.

and not everyone agrees what 'happy noises' means.

since the overall societal mindset is me me me and all about MY enjoyment, I now have to be the rude one and go out of my way to expend time and energy to enjoy MY self by sacrificing MY comfy spot by the window since everyone around me has no empathy for anyone but themselves.

A movie theater and a restaurant are two totally different venues. Everyone is expected to be completely silent is a theater and even adults talking at a normal volume continuously should be asked to leave. A happy screech in a restaurant once every 10 minutes that lasts less than a second is NOT the same thing.

A movie theater and a restaurant are two totally different venues. Everyone is expected to be completely silent is a theater and even adults talking at a normal volume continuously should be asked to leave. A happy screech in a restaurant once every 10 minutes that lasts less than a second is NOT the same thing.

Ditto!!

Doesn't really matter. Happy screech, pissed off screech, screeching is still screeching and is unwarranted and unwelcome by all those around it. If a baby is going to make noise above that of a normal conversation level, please take it back to the room or somewhere so that others are bothered by it.

Edited by Who Cares?

It is all so simple......be considerate of others and remove a screaming or crying child. It's not rocket science. It's simple consideration:rolleyes:

End of thread.

Seems in recent years, our society has deteriorated in the areas of courtesy, consideration of others and common sense.

Those three traits can solve a multitude of problems. :)