Movie Classes

jwh

Can anyone give me some insight into the movie classes on board. Am going on Zaandam and wondering if there is a cost involved or any special equipment and just generally how difficult it is for a technophobe. Would love to come away with a movie as reminder of the cruise. Advice and info is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Can anyone give me some insight into the movie classes on board. Am going on Zaandam and wondering if there is a cost involved or any special equipment and just generally how difficult it is for a technophobe. Would love to come away with a movie as reminder of the cruise. Advice and info is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Curious about this one. I don't recall any classes on shooting your own movie while on board. The contract photographers go around and shoot some video during the cruise, mix it with some stock video, and sell it at the end of the cruise but I don't recall there ever being a class. Maybe some contractors do this?

I was looking at my Eurodam "On Location" programs.

The Digital workshop did offer a class:

"Make Movies with Windows 10" -- Use Windows Live Movie Maker to create a video slideshow from your photos and videos.

It is a free class.

That makes sense. Personally we live almost 24/7 with our computers because of work and personal interests so we've never paid any attention to the computer workshops while on a cruise. It's our chance to take a break from computers.

Edited by Randyk47

That makes sense. Personally we live almost 24/7 with our computers because of work and personal interests so we've never paid any attention to the computer workshops while on a cruise. It's our chance to take a break from computers.

I have found that if you use a computer for work, you probably are "over-educated" for many of the workshops. They tend to aim the presentation at the least experienced computer user. I'm not an IT person, but I pick up computer stuff pretty quickly. I find myself thinking, tell me something I don't already know.

From what I've seen of photo workshops, both on HAL and Cunard, they spend a lot of time on file management and not a lot of time on creativity.

On our last cruise, I went to the workshop on "choosing your next computer." I was hoping to learn about new developments in chips, new software, features to look for. Instead it was more like how to choose your first computer. Advice like, "If you travel a lot and want to take a computer with you, a desktop isn't a good choice." Reminds me of the days at work when we were just getting PCs. EVERY workshop, even a year after we had computers, began with "This is your keyboard, this is your monitor..."

To be fair to the teacher, it's difficult to teach to a wide spectrum of experience and I think they do get a lot of people with minimal computer experience. One man at the workshop on choosing a computer asked if Windows 10 will run on Apple.

JWH - to answer your question - yes the Techspert on board offers free classes on using free downloaded Microsoft products to turn your digital photos and movie clips into a video slideshow. As I recall they may have 2 or 3 different levels of the class. If you have a laptop onboard with you and have the "Windows Live movie maker" software loaded you could start working on your show during the cruise and then during the open techspert sessions you could have them help you with any issues you are having.

Exactly my thoughts in the one class I tried. I ducked out after 15 minutes.

You're smarter than I am, I was trapped in the middle of the second row. Must remember to lurk at the back in the future.

My other problem with class is is that you can't keep any "product." They don't allow any removable media, so if you make the slideshow, you can't take it with you to review on your own computer. You can't go back and practice on your own, because what you made is gone. Learning any new skill is best if you repeat it a few times soon after the first learning experience. By the time you get home, how much will you remember?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

He said it wouldn't. How does Apple let that happen? I thought there was a "Great Divide" that made an i-windows combination impossible.

I made the switch from PC to Mac a number of years ago, but found that there was some software simply not available for the Mac. Fortunately, Apple offers two solutions. The first is Apple's own Boot Camp utility than enables you to create a separate partition on your hard drive that you can boot into and run Windows directly on your Apple hardware. The second entails purchasing and installing third party software, such as Parallels, that enables you to run Windows on a "virtual machine". This approach does have the advantages of not requiring a reboot and letting you run Mac OS X and Windows side-by-side on the same screen, but in my experience, performance suffers. As I never need to flip-flop between the two operating systems, I'm much happier rebooting into Base Camp when I need to work with my Windows software.

I have never gone to one of their digital workshops on board either.

I made the switch from PC to Mac a number of years ago, but found that there was some software simply not available for the Mac. Fortunately, Apple offers two solutions. The first is Apple's own Boot Camp utility than enables you to create a separate partition on your hard drive that you can boot into and run Windows directly on your Apple hardware. The second entails purchasing and installing third party software, such as Parallels, that enables you to run Windows on a "virtual machine". This approach does have the advantages of not requiring a reboot and letting you run Mac OS X and Windows side-by-side on the same screen, but in my experience, performance suffers. As I never need to flip-flop between the two operating systems, I'm much happier rebooting into Base Camp when I need to work with my Windows software.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize those options existed, as I'm a PC user.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize those options existed, as I'm a PC user.

I've not succumbed to the lure of the iWatch, but I love my family of i-Devices. Not all items are the very best in its class, but as an integrated collection it's hard to beat.

I was able to take handouts from every session that reviewed what was shown to create a movie from your photos. A month or two later I used these to help me create a movie with transitions, captions and the clean up features they used. I was even able to remove people around me in my photo of Trevi fountain so I appear to be viewing it alone. I thought it was worth the time. And as I said, there were handouts.

Thanks to all for their responses and input. I was hoping I could use my own laptop during the class but get the impression from the replies that this isn't the way the classes are run. I usually sail Crystal and they offer free I-movie making classes but I only have a few sea days on board later this month and doubt it will be long enough tuition for me. Will be on Zaandam Sth America/Antarctic cruise in January and thought the huge number of sea days would be perfect in between berg and whale watching :) Oh well... I'll check it out anyway..no harm with no costs involved. Thanks again to all who replied so quickly. Much appreciated.

I was looking at my Eurodam "On Location" programs.

The Digital workshop did offer a class:

"Make Movies with Windows 10" -- Use Windows Live Movie Maker to create a video slideshow from your photos and videos.

It is a free class.

That's it , make a video "slide show" from your photos.

I have gone to this and you use their computers and learn from photos they have there. Then you make your own on your own computer. But it is a slide show.

It was a constructive workshop.

Helen

I went to a couple of sessions about using Windows 8 on my April cruise. I truly hated Windows 8 and often got lost and couldn't find my way back. The sessions on board helped me get back although I still never found 8 user-friendly. About a month ago, I updated to Windows 10 that is soooooo much better. I plan to take some classes on my next cruise considering they are free and I know there are many things I can learn.

Edited by Scrapnana