What is your all time favorite ship that no longer exists?

On 12/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, cruise_mojo said:

we've sailed on a few of these in this blast from the past pic of the old docks in nassau

Cunard-Adventurer-Sunward-II-Ships-Nassau-1986.jpg

That photo surely is a "blast from the past"!

I can recognize some of the ships.  I think.

Oceanic in her Big Red Boat disguise, Sunward II, Emerald Seas, a Chandris vessel--maybe Marconi, a Carnival vessel--maybe Mardi Gras, the other two--unsure, maybe one or both were NCL vessels.  

the chandris ship might be the galileo a bit sleeker I think than britanis, emerald seas in board of that and either the mardis gras or carnivale and sunward II the other NCl ship I think is the southward Im guessing and the dolphin most likely is the last one as Oceanic\big red boat 

we sailed on sunward 2 twice, carnivale, oceanic as the big red boat, many of our friends sailed on the emerald seas and IF that chandris ship is britanis my mom and dad sailed on her out of wilmington NC 

but if that ship is the amerikanis we sailed on her but she was a tiny sleek  ship so Im pretty sure that's the galileo 

I think I may have posted that pic after searching for a sunward II pic on the net. my folder on my computer says its from 1986  but I don't know that for sure but it seems about right to me 

we went to nassau several times on party cruises right about that time frame 

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Chandris ship is Meridian (Galileo).

I'd love to know what year this was taken.  Is it a postcard?

Yes, I agree that I was wrong about thinking that ship was the Marconi.  After I posted what I said, I started having "second thoughts" and the more I thought about it, the more sure that I was mistaken.  

22 hours ago, cruise_mojo said:

we sailed on sunward 2 twice,

Only sailed on her once, but it was a good cruise experience.  I have rated that cruise as being the best cruise value that I have ever experienced.  Our cruise experience exceeded the price we paid.  

in or about this era chandris had a ship called victoria I think that they'd base in san juan some times of the year, and galileo and britanis out of miami and maybe ft lauderdale 

we sailed the amerikanis out of new york to bermuda early in the season one year in about 89 I think 

the Dolphin's specialty was FREE wine with dinner each night! cute little ship but we just never got around to sailing on her 

2 hours ago, cruise_mojo said:

a ship called victoria

I remember this ship and first became aware of her when she sailed for Incres Lines.  She was "old world" before she left Incres Lines, but she appealed to me and was under consideration for my first cruise.  Rotterdam V won that competition.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I remember this ship and first became aware of her when she sailed for Incres Lines.  She was "old world" before she left Incres Lines, but she appealed to me and was under consideration for my first cruise.  Rotterdam V won that competition.  

The Victoria became “the oldest ship still sailing“ at one time.  She really was “old world” and much loved by all who sailed in her.  I had a lawyer friend of mine who took a ten day cruise on her and he swore it was the best cruise of all the cruises he had taken.  It didn’t hurt that he was of Italian descent and all the crew were Italian.  He told me that his son had sent him a case of Champagne for the cruise...so he literally floated along with the ship.  The dining room was completely paneled with a paneled vaulted arched ceiling and a small balcony for the orchestra to sit and play during dinner.  The menus were exquisite with that special Italian influence.  I probably had more than 100 of those menus in my collection.  

RK, that ship was the Gallilao which became the first Celebrity ship...Meridian.  I sailed on her when she was Gallilao.  If that picture was 1986 then she was definitely Meridian.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

TSS Atlas in 1982 Greek Isles, Egypt, Israel, and Turkey from Athens ( Piraus, Greece). It was part of the Epiritiki  company. 

After that, several years later, we went on the Dolphin IV, the Seabreeze, and the Ocean Breeze.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, catlib55 said:

TSS Atlas

She was once a Holland America Line ship.  Built with a sister ship the Ryndam in the early 1950's and provided economical trans-Atlantic passage fares.  Their very slender funnel was a noticeable feature of their design.  

• 1 year later...

you know sadly with covid..... Imma gonna have to add some ships to this list!

without going back thru the whole thing, me and the wife have been super fond of the whole FANTASY CLASS ships of Carnival especially the Fantasy, Fascination and now sadly the Ecstasy is looking like its going away too? Our buddies cindy and gerry just sailed on one of the last Ecstasy sailings a couple weeks ago and we met up with them on Elation to discuss a week ago 

Aslo we really liked Sensation too and the smaller Jubilee and Celebration though only sailing j once. 

DSCF2419.JPG

• Like 2

how many peeps gotta pic of the celebration in costa livery with its italian crew? 

they had just delivered it to freeport and we'd just sailed in there i think on ecstasy maybe from jax, the nassau or ( bahammas celebration) is listing and tied up in front of us at the dock a couple weeks after its accident a few years ago and everything was in limbo for them at the time 

I had more pics, but a lost camera in jamaica, and photobucket changing their rules may have doomed me to only this one today. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sitmar's Fairsky built in 1984, also loved the old Costa Riviera. Holland America's Westerdam which was originally Home Lines Homeric was also a great ship.

Speaking of Home Lines, we always wanted to sail on the Oceanic but things never worked out.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2018 at 2:03 PM, cayman09 said:

Sitmar's Fairwind. Our first cruise was 10 days with Mel Torme as the star attraction back in 1976. Two formal nights where just about all of the men were in tuxes. We thought it was huge, got lost daily with those lomg corridors where you had to climb to another deck to continue forward or aft.

Our first cruise in 1982 was also on the Fairwind, great cruise and we were hooked.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, cruise_mojo said:

you know sadly with covid..... Imma gonna have to add some ships to this list!

without going back thru the whole thing, me and the wife have been super fond of the whole FANTASY CLASS ships of Carnival especially the Fantasy, Fascination and now sadly the Ecstasy is looking like its going away too? Our buddies cindy and gerry just sailed on one of the last Ecstasy sailings a couple weeks ago and we met up with them on Elation to discuss a week ago 

Aslo we really liked Sensation too and the smaller Jubilee and Celebration though only sailing j once. 

DSCF2419.JPG

Loved the Fascination!  Took a weekend getaway for me and 8 of my best girlfriends about 18 years ago... had an absolute blast!

just getting ready to sail on the mardis gras this weekend, and in june we sail on the vision of the seas, wonder when royal will retire more of these older ships like vision we like ships like this and enchantment and across that range but also the larger royal ships too, I know from their loyal customer base that they have super faves in those smaller ships vs the mega ships styles 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Another vote for the SS Norway here.  We sailed on her for our Honeymoon and had planned to go back for an anniversary...  sad what happened.

We did our honeymoon on SS Norway in 1991, in a brand new mini- suite, great ship sailed her 7 times from mid 80’s to 90’s