It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I have no skin in the game (we don't eat in the MDR)...BUT...I don't understand why people are so concerned about the dress code being "lowered"?

The dress code doesn't say you can't dress "better" than the code.

If you want to wear a Tux or a Oscar dress, please do...I don't expect you will see anyone pointing and laughing at you.

just my two cents.

I don't own a suit, but I will never judge you because you do!

I also just received this email. If you click on the link that says learn more, it still list the number of formal nights by length of the cruise.

Per the email:

Evening Chic evolutions include

Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captains Reception

Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new officer hosted tables

Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update check!)

Evening Chic sailing departing December 4 and beyond.

So, what does this mean??? DW just bought a new dress for formal night on our upcoming Dec 6 sailing.

Have her wear it. She'll look better than anyone in "evening chic", whatever that is.

I say a big "hooray" as packing just got easier for our upcoming 12 night cruise plus 6 and 2 day pre and post plans.

Turns out I have been dressing "chic" all along on the non-formal nights by wearing slacks and a collared sport shirt.

Thank you Celebrity!

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

YES YES YES!!:D

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line but this makes it even better! I think the majority of cruisers these days prefer smart casual to formal. Even Oceania has been smart casual for years.

Thanks Celebrity!

I'm really happy with this news. Our next Celebrity cruise leaves Nov 30, so I assume that means we will still do the traditional formal nights on that cruise. I might just go ahead and just in "elegant chic" anyway and see how that goes.

I am happy too. My cruise is December 13 and they sent me an email saying the change is effective Dec. 4 and affects my cruise!. Hip Hip Hooray!

Edited by Charles4515

I am happy to see this change, they say they are Modern Luxury and being Modern means no formal nights. We leave on 11/21 and for the husband not having to pack a jacket would be nice. I wonder if we can get an official comment from Celebrity about enforcement. We might just try the MDR on our first Evening Chic night in pants and a button down shirt no jacket and see what happens.

New motto..."Celebrity, the line that used to be special, now is just ordinary"

I agree!

Also, I just realized this is a "Sticky" .

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/news/news.cfm?ID=6642

In the body of the announcement is this:

There is such a thing as too casual though.

While designer-looking jeans will be acceptable,

ripped jeans will not; nor will shorts and t-shirts be permitted in the dining room on evening chic nights.

So shorts , tshirts and ripped jeans will be fine every other night.

I don't even know what to say........

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile.

So, well said. Totally agree!

What email???

(captain's reception, not captain's club reception)

Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic.

It's your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Evening Chic evolutions include:

   • Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captain's Reception

   • Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new

   officer-hosted tables

   • Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update—check!)

Get Evening Chic on sailings departing December 4 and beyond.

EM-123-Final_17.jpg

EM-123-Final_41.jpg

We're available to talk modern luxury vacations

all over the world—give us a call.

1-888-752-7762

Edited by dodger1964

I received an email about this from Celebrity. The link to learn more takes me to FAQ where the number of formal nights is still listed. Go figure.

Yeah, I even did a page search for the word 'chic', and it was nowhere to be found.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Don't like it all! It will be difficult to enforce due the subjective nature of what is Chic. We love formal nights and understand that we can continue, however, I feel most people will no longer go the formal way, and we will just stand out like a sore thumb. I was once approached by a male passenger on board the Century, and he sarcastically asked me why I was so dressed up.

For many of us this is great news. As so many have discussed, due to the limitations of baggage when flying this makes more sense. It's much more sensible to approach dress code this way. The article is in the news section.

DW and i are so happy, we love being chic. Not stuffy!

There is such a thing as too casual though.

While designer-looking jeans will be acceptable,

ripped jeans will not; nor will shorts and t-shirts be permitted in the dining room on evening chic nights.

So shorts , tshirts and ripped jeans will be fine every other night.

I don't even know what to say........

As much as I am not a fan of this, I don't think they are saying shorts and ripped jeans etc. are ok, rather they just did not think through their statement. Or are they?:confused:

Don't like it all! It will be difficult to enforce due the subjective nature of what is Chic. We love formal nights and understand that we can continue, however, I feel most people will no longer go the formal way, and we will just stand out like a sore thumb. I was once approached by a male passenger on board the Century, and he sarcastically asked me why I was so dressed up.

Oh dear, did you ask him if he'd got lost in port and ended up on the wrong ship?

Yeah, I even did a page search for the word 'chic', and it was nowhere to be found.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

That's because they haven't updated the website. Do a page search on "formal" and all the old text is there.

Not surprising, as even the website's "News" section has nothing.