It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I think Celebrity has always been similar to many mass market cruise lines. For the upscale, "special" cruise lines, you pay two or three times what X charges

Celebrity used to provide that upscale experience for a very nice price. Now that they have bigger and more ships to fill, they have to go down a few notches! Now its more expensive but not quite upscale....Still our best affordable choice.

Edited by hcat

You can still rent the tux ... every night doesn't have to be the same. Rejoice and embrace the options.

I realize that, but now I no longer feel "obligated" to do so because it's no longer required. I might bring a jacket with though because I'll be in Alaska on the next cruise. ;)

Designer jeans are OK. Further down they say not torn, stained, etc jeans. Most folks who want to wear jeans won't read any further than that first sentence. I want to be a fly on the wall for the discussion the night a passenger shows up in the MDR wearing $3-400 designer jeans which have rips, tears, bleach spots and frayed bottoms. I can hear the conversation now with the passenger arguing that the dress code says "designer jeans" and my jeans are from fill in the name of some designer no one has ever heard of. The dining room manager or whoever has door duty will be saying but the policy says no torn, frayed, etc., etc. Since everybody has a different definition of dress jeans (to me dark blue or black denim and pressed with creases), this is going to create even more confusion. Personally a man in nice dress jeans and a sweater or open collar shirt is better dressed than one in wrinkled khaki cargo pants and a faded polo shirt. I have seen both on Celebrity under the current dress code. I don't think much is going to change other than fewer tuxes and floor length gowns.

Edited by Straughn

...but not enforced. IMO RCCL will be following Celebrity's lead.

We saw more people dressed and following the dress code on our 10/22 - 10 night RCCL Liberty cruise than we did our 9/6 - 14 night Celebrity Summit cruise and way more than our 5/24 - 7 night Celebrity Summit Bermuda cruise where they let people in the MDR at dinner with shorts on. Very disappointing.

To answer another poster, I do not have any Celebrity cruises booked to cancel.

Edited by CruisingChick

Geez my $16:98 Costco jeans that stretch are designed to fit me so of course they must be classed as Designer Jeans! Have fun with this! Remember a day cruising is to be enjoyed including dinner not matter what your wearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that it is a non issue for the vast majority of people. And that majority is Celebrity's target market.

I would tend to agree with you - Most cruise lines are now trying to make the transition to the 'younger' set -

You will not see suits and ties in the San Francisco offices any more - you will not see women with nylons and gloves...

Times are changing - DH wore his tux-dinner jacket until 2012 - wore dress slacks tie/coat until 2014 and now he just wears dress slacks/nice shirts -

Those that want can still wear their tux/formal gowns - those that don't want to won't

Either way it is your choice - :)

We are EXCITED and Happy with this new change!

BTW - I am 65 and I remember wearing gloves and dresses to take the bus downtown or uptown - never wore a pair of heels without nylons - BUT

I have entered the 21st century and glad to see Celebrity follow!

Personally a man in nice dress jeans and a sweater or open collar shirt is better dressed than one in wrinkled khaki cargo pants and a faded polo shirt. I have seen both on Celebrity under the current dress code. I don't think much is going to change other than fewer tuxes and floor length gowns.

You made the perfect point. Some people demonstrate pride in their appearance, and some don't. My office was once shirt & tie, and there were always guys with stained, wrinkled shirts and century old ties. We are now business casual, and those who dressed well in suits now dress well in crisp wool slacks and button down shirts.

I must admit, I never carried a long formal with me on a cruise, but admire the couples who are decked out. I've always worn a nice cocktail dress, or black skirt with a fancy top. If I were cruising with a handsome man in a tux, I would be thrilled to kick it up a notch, but I'm usually solo or cruising with one or both of my sisters, who I am not out to impress ;).

I think the policy change, at least on Celebrity, will make little difference. I think those who enjoy looking good will continue to, and those who don't, weren't looking good anyway.

Edited by Goes Cruising

Curious if this will effect Specialy restaurant and Aqua Class prices. Many people book these to avoid dressing up, will they now go back to MDR and lower demand.

Funny, the the threads on the change are a microcosm of the entire dress code sticky thread.

Geez my $16:98 Costco jeans that stretch are designed to fit me so of course they must be classed as Designer Jeans! Have fun with this! Remember a day cruising is to be enjoyed including dinner not matter what your wearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been saying that for years, there are others who agree. The only time I took jeans on a cruise was to Alaska. Stand next to someone in fancy designer jeans in my kirklands, can't tell the difference.

I've been trying to keep this comment, but I cannot do so now. It definitely appears that Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has brought her Royal Caribbean mentality to Celebrity. She, and her terrible marketing ideas like the BBB and now no more formal nights, is turning a once elegant Celebrity into a more expensive version of Royal Caribbean. I'm so happy we're moving on.

BTW, my two cousins just got of their 6th Celebrity cruise and said "no more". They were so disappointed in how bad the food was (steaks that were tougher than shoe leather and chicken that when cut, was still pink inside and showed blood, and pasta that could be used as paste), and how overworked the staff was that many were unruly, that they said they could get the same things, for a lot less money by cruising on RCI. Pathetic.

I can see the casualites taking this all casual all the time atmosphere, and we all know that many will take this to mean they will be able to wear whatever they want, to new lows in what they'll wear to the MDR. More Pathetic.

Celebrity's standard never was "Penguin Suit" only. Those who have gotten their wish can be assured that they will receive a cruise to match. No reason to be anything special to people who don't care. It is what it is and for those who don't know any better, it won't matter.

Exactly. Thank you for expressing what I am feeling so succinctly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another dumbing down of cruising for me very sad. Oh well, we are on Eclipse a week today and the tux is still being packed and will continue to be packed even after the changes. Really only Cunard are now sticking to many of the old traditions.

I think it's a good idea. I stopped renting tux's when we discovered aqua class years back. I might bring a jacket but that's about it. Last cruise I got caught off guard as we were invited to dine with the captain. I went down to give our regrets to the CC hostess, she smiled and said no worries, our captain is having his dinner in Tuscan grill, so dress smart casual.

Edited by Patrick IL.

I've been trying to keep this comment, but I cannot do so now. It definitely appears that Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has brought her Royal Caribbean mentality to Celebrity.

Not sure if it's her RCCL mentaltiy of if she is just bad at her job. But I agree she is ruining Celebrity.

If she wants to bring something over from RCCL, than make Elite and Elite+ lounges like RCCL has Diamond and Concierge lounges.

Edited by CruisingChick

Celebrity's standard never was "Penguin Suit" only. Those who have gotten their wish can be assured that they will receive a cruise to match. No reason to be anything special to people who don't care. It is what it is and for those who don't know any better, it won't matter.

I guess I agree, it's another step down and of course people will push the boundaries of the lower standard so they then drop another level and you end up with shorts and a tee shirt.

And if the passengers can't be bothered/ don't care about standards why should the crew. It's only going one way I'm afraid and it's not upwards.

Another dumbing down of cruising for me very sad. Oh well, we are on Eclipse a week today and the tux is still being packed and will continue to be packed even after the changes. Really only Cunard are now sticking to many of the old traditions.

Traditions like, good manners, good behaviour, respect for other guests, dress codes, impeccable service, the lack of pomposity etc, etc.

Known to many, but not adhere to, are the unwritten cruise codes and protocols, with the exception being on Cunard.

20+ years we have been sailing on Celebrity and have yet to meet anyone in "T-shirts" in the MDR on any night. It has been "ENFORCED" on every cruise we have taken.

We've been cruising on Celebrity for nearly as many years, and in the last 5 or so, we've seen all kinds of clothing in the MDR on formal nights. On our last cruise, we saw a man in cargo shorts and a t-shirt and his wife in capri pants and a tank top on formal night. I've seen many a man in cargo pants and t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights and I've seen the same number of women in short-shorts and camisole tops in the MDR on formal nights. Can't wait to see what people will wear now that Lutoff-Perlo has come up with another silly name for cruise wear that most people will not understand. I guess the word "Chic" is her version of Modern Luxury. Sorry, but some of the clothes people now wear on Celebrity, even on formal nights, does not say "luxury".

So disappointing. Celebrity has always been a step above some of the other lines - but they are on a slippery slope now. I have two booked - and most likely my last two. And if anyone is wondering where this dress change is taking them - just look in the work place. I have always worked in a professional setting - suiting up for my job every day. A few years ago corporate America went to "Business Casual" first on Fridays, then everyday. Most people have no idea what that means - with people coming in to work in capris, flip flops, tank tops, etc. Give someone an inch they take a mile. Why are people too lazy to dress for dinner. And forgive me but the excuse of packing is ridiculous. I take formal wear and my husband a tux when we travel to Europe for week prior to our two week cruise and we each only carry one checked bag and one carry on and I never repeat clothes. I just know how to pack. Anyway - I see lots of people prefer to go casual - so you are happy. For those of us that like to make our vacations a little different from everyday at home..... its disappointing. That is why its nice to have choices of other cruise lines!

I see a lot of people complaining about the reduced standards and, in almost the same breath, complaining that people don't follow the formal dress code.

This seems a bit contradictory. If people were already wearing shorts and such on formal night, it's not like this change means anything. They broke the formal night rules and will likely break the new rules.

What all the rule breakers does seem to say is that there are a lot of people who don't want formal night. It seems like Celebrity is striking a compromise: they didn't completely do away with it, but relaxed the minimums. They could have just cancelled them completely and said all nights had the same dress code. Even if the differences are minimal, there will still be some nights that are designated to dress better than the night before.

And maybe this will actually elevate the dress. People who don't like formal night may have said "screw it I'm not wearing a suit or a tux" so they wore whatever they had on. But black pants and a button down isn't as intimidating, so maybe they'll go for it.

Personally, I'm excited. I enjoy formal nights, but we have an upcoming TA with 3 formal nights and that's a lot to prep for. It'll be nice to be able to just go all out for 1 and then dress nicely for the others. But those who want to go all out for all 3 can as well. It seems like this affords more options to more people