Allison & David's Babymoon: Norwegian Pearl 11/3/15

ucfalli

Intro:

This is the first review that I made a point to try to take photos of all our food (probably got about 90%), as many of the menu's on the ship as I could, and of the little things around the cabin/ship. The reason for this is because I had a hard time finding current photo reviews of the Pearl. Of the ones that I found, they were of Alaska (with more emphasis on the ports). This will be heavy photo review.

We have not cruised since our first anniversary trip on the Carnival Valor (Southern Caribbean 3/2/14). In October 2014 my sister somehow talked my parents into joining them on a the Norwegian Getaway (their first cruise). My parents offered to heavily supplement out fares since my mom wanted me to come along (they seem to be going crazy in their old age :p). However earlier in the summer we decided to put our townhouse up for sale and to buy a much larger single family home. Even with the heavy supplement from our parents, we decided it wasn't in our best financial interest. It also just so happens we ended up closing during the week of their cruise!

So we spent our time since ..... begin house poor and just getting settled into the new home. We did take a couple of quick getaways (St. Augustine and Amelia Island).

One of the main reasons for moving was that we wanted to start a family and early August this year I found our I was pregnant! :)

David sets his vacation days a year in advance (so I knew he had that first week of November off), but for the first trimester I couldn't even think of taking a vacation. Then something miraculous happened in early October at the start of my second trimester.... I started to feel normal!.....I could eat! I had started to lose faith that I would ever feel better .... :eek:

I busily started to look up cruises and convinced David that we needed to take advantage of this last baby free vacation chance.

We are not loyal to any cruise line. I pick our cruises by price and itinerary. Adding a new cruise line into the mix just sweetens it for me as it adds a new adventure.

The first affordable cruise that I found was a 5 day Princess cruise. I didn't want to book anything until I go a letter and the all clear from my doctor. The day I got it, I went to book the cruise and all the inside cabins had mysteriously disappeared. The ocean view was significantly more and we weren't willing to pay the difference. After waiting a couple days and nothing still popped back up, we resumed our search and came across a short 4 day cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. The price was too good to pass up and as a bonus it didn't go to Nassau or Free-port!

We booked an inside guarantee (the cheapest) and a couple days later the price somehow dropped even further. We were upgraded to an assigned ocean view (cabin 8108). Along with our rate, we picked the free bonus of the specialty dining, which included 3 free nights.

Then became the process of researching a whole new cruise line, which can be quite difficult at times due to the many questions and many searches I had to do. I hope the information in this review helps other newbies and other cruise enthusiast in general who may be looking at trying Norwegian.

Most of my comparisons will be to Carnival as that's what we have cruised the most and is the most recent in my memory. What you see are my opinions...take it or leave it! I believe all cruise lines have positives and negatives. :D

ry%3D400

Our Background:

I turned 33 on this cruise (I'm a physical therapist) and David, 31 (Auto adjuster for a major insurance company). We are from Orlando, FL. This is my 6th cruise (1 on Royal Caribbean, 4 on Carnival) and David's 6th cruise (1 on Royal Caribbean, 5 on Carnival).

If you have read any of my past reviews, you would know I am the planner of our trips. I was very happy that this trip would take basically no port planning! We have both been to Key West before (land based trips) and Great Stirrup Cay was a beach (only needed to try to research to good spots).

Unlike our past two reviews, we didn't fly out of Florida so there is no heavy pre-trip portion of this review.

On the Tuesday we embarked, I entered my 17 week of pregnancy. Of course a few week before we left there was a headline that popped up in the Sun Sentinel (South Florida newspaper) about a pregnant women having to be helicoptered off a cruise ship due to an emergency and my mom was in a fit of worrying. I assured her that many pregnant women go on cruises and that even though I was too lazy to look up the statistics.... I was pretty sure I was in more danger driving around Orlando :rolleyes:. I had my medical letter required for the trip, insurance, and my doctor made me copies of all my medical paperwork to take along with me. We were ready for this babymoon!

All photos except our day on Great Stirrup Cay were taken with my Canon T4i. On Great Stirrup Cay I used my old Canon Powershot SD1110

The Trip/Cruise Itinerary:

11/02/15: Leave Orlando for South Florida

11/03/15: Embarkation for the Norwegian Pearl (Bon Voyage!)

11/04/15: Key West, Florida

11/05/15: Sea Day

11/06/15: Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas (Norwegian Private Island)

11/07/15: Debarkation

My husband and I did a babymoon 4 day cruise when I was right around the same time frame as you are in my pregnancy, only I was still sick daily (and continued right up until my sons birth). Even though I wasn't feeling my best at all, we made a go of it and actually have really fond memories of being lazy, and watching movies in our cabin! Congrats on your pregnancy. My son is now 14 1/2 and when I say the time flies, it really does!!!!

Pre-Trip:

11/02/15

We had most things packed from Sunday, which was my most dreaded day of all. Not due to the fact that we had to pack.....but as I would have to figure out what on earth I would wear :eek:. I'm in this horrible awkward phase in which almost none of my clothes fits me and I'm not really needing maternity clothes. My friend luckily gave me some maternity clothes, so I found a few things to wear and spent the rest of the time trying to find anything in my closet that would fit!

We spent monday morning getting all the last minute things together and getting the house in order. Most important of all making sure Poko was set up for the week. David's parents would be checking in on her during the week so she would have a little company. If you read our Alaskan trip, then you know Poko is our (sorry I mean my :rolleyes:) cat that had us both worried sick before embarking on our cruise. Since we were to be gone for two weeks we brought her with us to South Florida for my parents to cat sit. She ended up not eating/moving for almost 4 days.

I figured I would find a photo in her natural state ....of course she has to sleep on a magazine!

ry%3D400

A little after lunch we headed out and about 3 hours later were in South Florida. We stayed at my parents house, who also dropped us off for our cruise. We went out for dinner with my parents, my sister, and 2 of my nephews were able to join us. Then it was off to bed. Tomorrow was cruise day!

Embarkation:

11/03/15

After breakfast we got our things back together and headed off to the port of Miami. This was our first time leaving out of the port of Miami so we didn't know what to expect. All I know is that I avoid flying out of Miami at all cost (even me the cheapest of cheap will pay a little extra to leave out of Ft. Lauderdale). My parents weren't excited about driving to Miami instead of Ft Lauderdale and neither was my husband (who doesn't like to leave anywhere besides Port Canaveral due to proximity).

Right before we left my parents:

ry%3D400

Day: 1 Embarkation Continued

11/03/15

Turns out that ride went smoothly (we took the Turnpike most of the way due to checking Google maps and seeing that I95 had multiple accidents). We had no trouble finding the ship drop off location. Signs were very clear after clearing the direct tunnel to the port.

The following photos are from our debarkation day (had time to kill waiting for my parent to pick us back up).

The Pearl was in the same berth fro embarkation and debarkation

ry%3D400

Terminal B

ry%3D400

View of the drop off/pick up location. Limited seats. So get off early if you're going to be waiting awhile for someone to pick you up. Taxis were at the end to right (after getting out of the terminal). There were workers to direct people.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Looks like Terminal C parking. There were several parking garages forward of us and down to the right.

ry%3D400

My husband and I did a babymoon 4 day cruise when I was right around the same time frame as you are in my pregnancy, only I was still sick daily (and continued right up until my sons birth). Even though I wasn't feeling my best at all, we made a go of it and actually have really fond memories of being lazy, and watching movies in our cabin! Congrats on your pregnancy. My son is now 14 1/2 and when I say the time flies, it really does!!!!

Thanks!...Oh goodness!!! My mother in law was the same for her first child. I can't imagine :eek:. For the most part I felt good. I was just got more fatigued (we took naps almost every afternoon) and went to bed much earlier then normal. We were most definitely more lazy this cruise. :D

11/03/15

We arrived at the port a little after 11am. It took about a half an hour to check in and find some seats upstairs. I figured boarding would happen later on this cruise due to the prior cruise begin a Kiss music cruise. This was a random 4 day short cruise sandwiched between 2 different music cruises. I figured that the process of getting all the equipment off the boat, along with the most likely late sleepers would delay the boarding process. We boarded (Zone 10) at approx 1:10pm. The boarding process was quick and we entered the ship through the atrium on deck 7.

I gotta say I didn't mind the two story atrium (I am use to the multi-story Carnival ones). It was pretty and simple.

They had a parade of flags on the promenade when you first got on the boat, along with a fancy red carpet......

ry%3D400

Very first glimpse of the atrium

ry%3D400

Holy line!!!! This is the line when we first boarded the boat. I don't quite understand what needs to be taken care of at that very second...

ry%3D400

We immediately went up one flight to deck 8 (where our cabin is) from the stairs in the atrium. They seating your see up top is O'Sheehan's. As soon as we got up there they opened up the doors to the cabins! So we went to drop off our belongings before lunch.

ry%3D400

First impression.....Are the hallways on Carnival this narrow?!?!?

I liked the tropical color scheme. The boat was in excellent shape.

ry%3D400

11/03/15

You can see that the fish are pointing at me. We were towards the aft of the boat right by the stairs/elevators. We really liked our room location as we were in the middle of the boat and the stairs gave us easy access to pop into the room for a quick moment.

ry%3D400

You can see how close we were here. To the left is the opening to the stairs. We didn't notice a problem with noise from people due to this.

ry%3D400

Instead of using door hangers, Norwegian has this handy turn wheel that you put to "Turn cabin down", "Makeup cabin", "Do not disturb", and "Welcome" which your steward turns it too after they have made their stop.

ry%3D400

The first view of our cabin 8108. I have heard that Norwegian has smaller cabins. I would say that our room felt comparable in size to our inside rooms on Carnival. Once again I liked the tropical colors.

ry%3D400

There was one outlet by the desk along with the hairdryer. The hairdryer I though was much better then the standard "hotel" one that attaches to the wall. There was no notepad or pen in the room, which I though was odd.

ry%3D400

11/03/15

Looking back from the bed towards the door.

ry%3D400

Can see the itsy bitsy TV (with the chair that gets in the way), along with the closet area.

ry%3D400

The safe used a key code instead of a credit card, which I prefer. Had plenty of room for our passports, my jewelry, our phones, and the iPad/kindle.

ry%3D400

The mini bar, which the room steward unlocked later in the day and locked during the last sea day.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

11/03/15

Ice bucket (which the room steward filled daily) and more items you can buy.

ry%3D400

Mini bar prices, which sorry didn't get a good photo of:

ry%3D400

Directions on where your muster station actually is on the back of the door, along with safety instructions.

ry%3D400

Life jackets are inside the closet.

ry%3D400

Phone instructions. You can stay in touch for the bargain price of $4.99 a minute........

ry%3D400

Yes, and the one we have booked for next November on the Sky is also a 4 day cruise. Our only experience with cruising is on the Carnival Ecstasy...and we LOVED the Ecstasy!

This was actually our shortest cruise to date, but it was perfect for a quick getaway. Felt like we got a lot out of this vacation.

Actually our least favorite cruise was the Carnival Sensation, which is a sister ship to the Ecstasy. Our bathroom flooded every time we took a shower.... was miserable. Maybe we'll have to give the Ecstasy a try one day. :D

Edited by ucfalli

Did they ask about your pregnancy at check-in. I realize with your first you might not really be showing unless you were super skinny to begin with. How did that go?

On the health questioner there is a question of "are you 24 weeks or more pregnant at the start of this cruise". Just a yes or no question. No further questions. To anybody that didn't know me... I wasn't showing, there would be no way for them to even think I was pregnant. Like you said for your first child you usually don't show at this point. I did see a couple of very noticeable pregnant women on the ship, but I don't know if they were further questioned. I highly doubt it. That would be dangerous territory!! :eek:

11/03/15

You can see the size of the window. When you have beds pushed together to make a king, the window is directly above.

On a side note, the window is deep and has a little perch which one can sit in and look out.....not saying it's comfortable.

ry%3D400

Next onto the bathroom. WOW. I couldn't believe how small the bathroom was. I am most definitely spoiled by Carnival. The sink area is half the size and the toilet room has no point to it. There is glass door you can close (which provides very little privacy) and if you could close it, you would have to have very short legs. I am 5'5" and I could barely fit without spilling into the sink area. It was also very hard to close. I had to go into the sink area to even turn around...:eek:. I did appreciate the glass shower door. I hate shower curtains that attack!

ry%3D400

Take note of the one bath towel....that will come into play later...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There was liquid bath soap in the shower along with shampoo. The hand soap is liquid as well by the sink. If you like to use a bar of soap bring your own! My husband is a bar soap user and wasn't a happy camper with that.

ry%3D400

11/03/15

There was liquid bath soap in the shower along with shampoo. The hand soap is liquid as well by the sink. If you like to use a bar of soap bring your own! My husband is a bar soap user and wasn't a happy camper with that.

Did you ask your steward if he could bring you a soap bar? They sometimes can accommodate this request.

Edited by Sauer-kraut