travelling with person in wheelchair

bubbadogmom

I wish I did not have to ask this question but I do.

Have a cruise booked - Celebrity Reflection February 20. It's me and my 70 year old dad - his first cruise. I was so excited.

Yesterday he fell off a ladder and broke his ankle and tibula. He is still waiting for surgery.

I know no one is a DR here and can't tell me how he will heal - I thought about just cancelling completely - but I would be so disappointed, plus a got a GREAT deal and I don't want to lose it. I don't really want to take anyone else.

But then I started thinking - on all my cruises I've seen, I always see people in wheelchairs and on scooters - so even if he's not in top shape and needs a wheelchair sometimes, could he still go?

Has anyone gone cruising while in a wheelchair?

Is it ok or would it be too much of a problem?

Looking for advice and experiences - thanks.

There is a forum here for Disabled Cruising, under Special Interest cruises. One thing to think about...If he needs a wheelchair you probably need an accessible cabin, and particularly the accessible bathroom for stability. they may be difficult to find this late. EM

I would quickly contact whoever you booked with TA or Cruiseline about changing to an accessible cabin...there is also a company that they use that rents wheelchairs or scooters for traveling. Best of luck.

Not to cast doom & gloom :( on this, but if he hasn't even had surgery yet, I think his Dr needs to weigh in on whether your dad can go on this cruise. I made the assumption the cruise would be before the surgery? If it's after the surgery, I guess it would be up to his comfort level with the cast on his foot/leg, etc.

Two weeks before a cruise I fell and broke my leg in three places and tore three ligaments around my ankle. I was in a series of casts for 4 months so there was no way I could handle a cruise shortly after surgery.

Edited by Treven

If the doctor gives him the "go ahead", then go and have fun. By Feb., he should be able to bear weight, even if he can't totally walk....who knows how quickly he'll mend! if that's the case, an HC cabin wouldn't be a necessity....

If he cannot bear weight, he'll need a HC cabin, so he can access the bathroom. Good luck to him!!!

The last cruise my late DH and I had together he was in a wheelchair except for when we were in the cabin. I purchased a 'transport chair' which folded up easily and it worked fine for us. I did not want to depend upon renting something from a company with which I had never dealt.

We had our usual suite in which we always sailed and no need for a HC cabin. He did depend upon me for some assistance.

It is impossible to say if your dad will be able to use the shower without help or if he'll need other help from you but merely needing a wheelchair does not seem a reason to not cruise.

All of this, of course, depends upon his doctors' approval.

Best wishes.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks - they sent him home last night and said come back at 700am to wait for a surgeon - he couldn't eat anything after midnight. He sat in the waiting room at the hospital all day - waiting. At 300pm they said to just go home again- and come back tomorrow. I'm so frustrated for him. I know he's in pain - and starving too. :mad:

Anyways, so hopefully surgery tomorrow - it needs to be done ASAP - at least one plate and one pin they said.

We won't know how he heals for weeks - and the DR won't be able to clear/not clear him until much closer to the cruise. I have to make final payment by Dec 7 so I just have to decide. I've already bought airfare (which killed me - see my other threads:eek:) and of course, unless I wanted to pay 3000.00$ it is the non refundable type.

So, I guess I will keep it and hope for the best. Hoping maybe he will be good enough for short distances or maybe walking cast? Will get wheelchair for airport because it is like 2 miles to the gate, and maybe for embarkation/debarkation so he's not standing for a long time.

I looked - there are no accessible cabins left on my cruise except in suites - can't do that.

Fingers crossed and hope for the best I guess!

I looked - there are no accessible cabins left on my cruise except in suites - can't do that.

Is there such thing as a waiting list for a HC cabin? I think I would still contact the cruise line and find out if there is. People sometimes have multiple cruises reserved at once and then cancel right before final payment if it turns out they can't go or find a better deal on a different cruise.

You may luck out and be able to get a HC cabin assigned if someone else cancels. Then if it turns out you will not need it, you can always call the cruise line and tell them you are willing to offer it to someone else.

I will keep your dad in my prayers and hope that he heals so quickly and so well that you have difficulty keeping up with him on your cruise!

Thanks - they sent him home last night and said come back at 700am to wait for a surgeon - he couldn't eat anything after midnight. He sat in the waiting room at the hospital all day - waiting. At 300pm they said to just go home again- and come back tomorrow. I'm so frustrated for him. I know he's in pain - and starving too. :mad:

Anyways, so hopefully surgery tomorrow - it needs to be done ASAP - at least one plate and one pin they said.

We won't know how he heals for weeks - and the DR won't be able to clear/not clear him until much closer to the cruise. I have to make final payment by Dec 7 so I just have to decide. I've already bought airfare (which killed me - see my other threads:eek:) and of course, unless I wanted to pay 3000.00$ it is the non refundable type.

So, I guess I will keep it and hope for the best. Hoping maybe he will be good enough for short distances or maybe walking cast? Will get wheelchair for airport because it is like 2 miles to the gate, and maybe for embarkation/debarkation so he's not standing for a long time.

Hoping for the best for you both and that everything works out in the end.

So sorry to hear about your father's bad fall.

If I were you, besides getting wheelchair help through the airports, I would rent one for the ship. You can make arrangements for wheelchair help for embarkation and debarkation days through the cruise line. But the cruise lines will not loan you a wheelchair during the cruise.

I rent a walker/rollerator -- which also rents wheelchairs and scooters -- through Care Vacations. Never had a problem with that company.

I feel so bad to hear the hospital keeps sending him home. Don't they consider this emergency? How can they tell a senior gentleman to not eat for days especially given he is facing surgery? Not eating will weaken him. Can you go to a different hospital?

I feel so bad to hear the hospital keeps sending him home. Don't they consider this emergency? How can they tell a senior gentleman to not eat for days especially given he is facing surgery? Not eating will weaken him. Can you go to a different hospital?

No, sadly that is the best hospital in the area. As it is it is an hour's drive and he's been back and forth 3 times now. Thankfully he has a friend that can drive him as my mom can't drive in the dark or on highways (she's 75).

He just got home now - has to be back at 700am tomorrow.

He asked if he could stay in a bed overnight as he is so weak and tired and in pain - they said no, no beds available.

So frustrating not being able to do anything for him.

No, sadly that is the best hospital in the area. As it is it is an hour's drive and he's been back and forth 3 times now. Thankfully he has a friend that can drive him as my mom can't drive in the dark or on highways (she's 75).

He just got home now - has to be back at 700am tomorrow.

He asked if he could stay in a bed overnight as he is so weak and tired and in pain - they said no, no beds available.

So frustrating not being able to do anything for him.

Ugh. That IS frustrating. Is there any chance he could get admitted through the Emergency Room if the wait is unsuccessful tomorrow? A gurney in a hallway is better than having to go home and try to manage with a broken leg. This sounds like bizarre/poor/unacceptable treatment of an older patient with a pretty serious injury, to be honest. Can you get to the hospital and request a meeting with a social worker? Sometimes the social workers can help navigate the system.

As for a wheelchair, I've rented from Care Vacations a couple of times and found them to be excellent. The ones I have rented fold up so they don't take up a lot of floor space when not in use.

As for "Is it ok or would it be too much of a problem?" we see people in wheelchairs on every cruise we take. If you are up to pushing the w/c when needed, it should be fine.

About airfare. If you DO need to cancel, your airline might offer a credit of part of your airfare, which would have to be used within a specific time. I know Westjet does that. They charge something like $75/person cancellation fee, and the balance of the fare that you paid goes into a "travel bank" (I think that is what they call it) and it has to be used within a year. Whoever you booked with may have something similar.

I wish I did not have to ask this question but I do.

Have a cruise booked - Celebrity Reflection February 20. It's me and my 70 year old dad - his first cruise. I was so excited.

Yesterday he fell off a ladder and broke his ankle and tibula. He is still waiting for surgery.

I know no one is a DR here and can't tell me how he will heal - I thought about just cancelling completely - but I would be so disappointed, plus a got a GREAT deal and I don't want to lose it. I don't really want to take anyone else.

But then I started thinking - on all my cruises I've seen, I always see people in wheelchairs and on scooters - so even if he's not in top shape and needs a wheelchair sometimes, could he still go?

Has anyone gone cruising while in a wheelchair?

Is it ok or would it be too much of a problem?

Looking for advice and experiences - thanks.

It is 95 days until your cruise. He may not be dancing by then, but unless he has real major complications he will be getting around without too much effort. You might want a wheelchair to move long distances, but he should have no problem in the cabin.

No - he started in emergency. I guess it's just the way it works - they tell everyone to show up at 7 for the fracture clinic and then they fix who they can. Just not enough surgeons I guess.

He went for 18 hours without water for nothing.

And I'm no help. I live 5 hours away and can't get the time off work. Obviously if it was more serious, I'd just go anyway but they say they are ok - thank goodness they have friends to help them out.

Our flights are Air Canada. No changes allowed, even if I could get celebrity to change the dates for us. We are no one special - I'm sure worse things happen to other people every day. I'll ask but I doubt they will do anything.

Thank you everyone for your replies and well wishes.

It is 95 days until your cruise. He may not be dancing by then, but unless he has real major complications he will be getting around without too much effort. You might want a wheelchair to move long distances, but he should have no problem in the cabin.

Hoping so!!

I travel in a wheelchair or scooter all the time. It is not that bad, but it can be trying on the patience at times.

I recommend that you don't rely on the website for whether or not there are handicapped rooms available. You need to call Celebrities special needs department and ask for them to check and make sure that all who are booked in a handicapped room actually needs it if there is not one available right now. The special needs department has the information you would need.

Being that it is a new injury, you might want to look at a wheelchair that has leg rests that can be raised to help with reducing swelling. Even 8 years after my last surgery, and I can still have swelling that just increases pain.

Just some things to keep in mind, but just because he might need a wheelchair it is no reason to cancel your trip.

Be aware of any shore excursions you planned. They may not be doable depending on how he recovers and not all places are handicapped friendly.

Our flights are Air Canada. No changes allowed, even if I could get celebrity to change the dates for us. We are no one special - I'm sure worse things happen to other people every day. I'll ask but I doubt they will do anything.

Thank you everyone for your replies and well wishes.

I hate to be negative but if you made a decision not to take the proper insurance, you also made a decision to accept any losses if you had to cancel the cruise. That's the way it is.

DON

I was back in the gym 8 weeks after my ankle ORIF with just a brace on. I did a week in Disney World at 5 months with only icing it one night.

I would not hesitate at all on the cruise. Transport chairs are not expensive at all, it can be worth it. Having been there done that and knowing a second surgery is coming. Knee walkers are the way to go. Independence with a place to carry things.

I was back in the gym 8 weeks after my ankle ORIF with just a brace on. I did a week in Disney World at 5 months with only icing it one night.

I would not hesitate at all on the cruise. Transport chairs are not expensive at all, it can be worth it. Having been there done that and knowing a second surgery is coming. Knee walkers are the way to go. Independence with a place to carry things.

It's not my business to ask your age and I won't but OP mentioned her Dad is 70 something. The older we get, the slower we heal.... particularly broken bones. Without expertise of reading and having x-rays available we cannot know the comparison of severity of the breaks and other conditions which may impact the surgery and recovery. Not all broken bones are the same. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We have booked cabins not knowing they were for the handicapped. Each time after we booked we were told that if someone needed a handicapped cabin we would lose ours and be moved to a non handicapped cabin.

Have your TA explain his situation and see if they will move you to a handicapped cabin. They have no threshold and there are bars and a chair in the shower and it's a huge bathroom. Some only have two closets but that's not a problem for us.

Tripped on dock while on cruise this summer. I am older active Female. Ship got me a wheelchair. I found my arms not strong enough to push myself around. So someone will probably have to push him around.A handicapped cabin will be mandatory. Consider trying for an exchange further out. A cruise while reccovering is a challenge for a Senior, especially a first cruise. Will he be able to enjoy it?

Edited by zoncom

I am so sorry about your dad. I hope he will able to go on the cruise.

On 12-04-2010 I fell off the ladder while hanging the Christmas lights. I shattered my heels, fractured my back and my hands. ImageUploadedByForums1447606621.022541.jpg.17e44ee07d430a3a6069e5201adbe3a0.jpg. We had to cancel our 2011 world cruise on the Queen Mary 2. I was so disappointed. But so thankful that I'm alive and not paralyzed.

Since then I had five surgeries on my feet. The last one was on 09-09- 2013. The doctor removed the plate and screws and fused with a bolt.ImageUploadedByForums1447606899.266735.jpg.3e230c504019d7805372165a593f2d63.jpg. My foot was in cast for 10 weeks and walking boot for two weeks. I went on a world cruise on the Queen Victoria three months later. Yes! I wore heels on my cruise [emoji1].

Very best wishes to your dad and your family.

Marie

ImageUploadedByForums1447606583.948633.jpg.f90bbac32305970a328542a0725d9c81.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447606606.681197.jpg.60fc6e037d6754acfc3518b8a7f78a34.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1447606862.181123.jpg.5c3f2b6ffc04039676c5bde6db64a884.jpg

Edited by Porthopper101

:)bubbadogmom, here is Celebrity's info on Special Needs (contact info, Boarding Accessibility, Accessible Staterooms, etc.): http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-special-needs?cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility. Celebrity requires guests to acknowledge the need for an accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. (No later than 30 days prior to sailing). You can also note the w/c pier assistance request on that form.

Wishing your dad all the best, I hope that he is able to safely and comfortably take the cruise. :)