travelling with person in wheelchair

bubbadogmom

I am so sorry about your dad. I hope he will able to go on the cruise.

On 12-04-2010 I fell off the ladder while hanging the Christmas lights. I shattered my heels, fractured my back and my hands. [ATTACH]368714[/ATTACH][ATTACH]368715[/ATTACH][ATTACH]368716[/ATTACH]. We had to cancel our 2011 world cruise on the Queen Mary 2. I was so disappointed. But so thankful that I'm alive and not paralyzed.

Since then I had five surgeries on my feet. The last one was on 09-09- 2013. The doctor removed the plate and screws and fused with a bolt.[ATTACH]368717[/ATTACH][ATTACH]368718[/ATTACH]. My foot was in cast for 10 weeks and walking boot for two weeks. I went on a world cruise on the Queen Victoria three months later. Yes! I wore heels on my cruise [emoji1].

Very best wishes to your dad and your family.

Marie

OMG!

I love the dark blue casts - they look cool!

I'm hoping he will still be able to go - we just have to see how it goes - he might be in a cast, or just walking cast/crutches - who knows. Too early to know anything. I'm just glad he's ok.

:)bubbadogmom, here is Celebrity's info on Special Needs (contact info, Boarding Accessibility, Accessible Staterooms, etc.): http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-special-needs?cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility. Celebrity requires guests to acknowledge the need for an accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form. (No later than 30 days prior to sailing). You can also note the w/c pier assistance request on that form.

Wishing your dad all the best, I hope that he is able to safely and comfortably take the cruise. :)

Thank you.

I'm just looking at the options.

In the event he needs "something", I'm getting the impression a scooter will be better than the wheelchair.

Thank you.

In the event he needs "something", I'm getting the impression a scooter will be better than the wheelchair.

If you/your dad decide on the scooter, please get it in plenty of time for him to get used to operating it before the cruise. Onboard the ship is not the place to learn how to operate it.

If your dad is otherwise healthy/active, you might look into a "knee scooter". It's a 4-wheeled mobility device where the operator rests the damaged lower leg on the scooter's padded shelf(?), on his knee, propels himself with his good leg and steers with his two hands. This is way smaller than a scooter where the operator sits on it, but it's man-powered rather than battery powered and it takes up way lot less room in your cabin, or wherever he goes.

Edited by Treven

Thank you.

Note that per Coast Regulations, SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Regulations as well the Cruise Line regulations the scooter MUST be stored in the cabin when not is use. It CANNOT be left in the hallway to impair the safety of other people.

It's also important to note that though some of the rental scooters do fit through a standard cabin door all scooters are rented based on the weight and height of the individual. The person that's renting the scooter does not decide what type of scooter rather the rental provider will make the determination. Therefore it's important to note a full size or standard size scooter will not fit through a standard cabin door if that's what's required.

Think I read that you're cruising Celebrity . Following is copied directly from the Celebrity Website:

'Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers."

Also suggest you contact Celebrity and ask to be placed on a wait list for the category of accessible cabin you're looking for. On occasion there are last minute cancelations but know if one becomes available there may be a cost adjustment.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you/your dad decide on the scooter, please get it in plenty of time for him to get used to operating it before the cruise. Onboard the ship is not the place to learn how to operate it.

It's also important to note that though some of the rental scooters do fit through a standard cabin door all scooters are rented based on the weight and height of the individual. The person that's renting the scooter does not decide what type of scooter rather the rental provider will make the determination. Therefore it's important to note a full size or standard size scooter will not fit through a standard cabin door if that's what's required.

I could get him some practice at a local store, etc - but it sounds like we wouldn't even know which type/kind we would be given so he'd never be able to practice on that "specific" scooter.....

Edited by bubbadogmom

I could get him some practice at a local store, etc - but it sounds like we wouldn't even know which type/kind we would be given so he'd never be able to practice on that "specific" scooter.....

As xxoo mentioned, the sales person would be the one who is/should be knowledgeable enough to be able to determine just what your dad would need, or be best suited for his needs. Again this needs to be early enough so that if it needs to be ordered, there'd be enough time for that, then after he gets it, to get comfortable using it. Of course if you're looking into renting one, the dealer should have some available there.

As xxoo mentioned, the sales person would be the one who is/should be knowledgeable enough to be able to determine just what your dad would need, or be best suited for his needs. Again this needs to be early enough so that if it needs to be ordered, there'd be enough time for that, then after he gets it, to get comfortable using it. Of course if you're looking into renting one, the dealer should have some available there.

Sorry, I was totally not on the same page as you. I was talking about following the advice I received earlier on this post and on the disabled cruising forum to use "care vacations" and "special needs at sea" - they provide rental scooters/wheelchairs on the ship. My dad would not be buying or renting one for use at home, nor could we take it with us - we are flying in from Canada.

Thank you.

I looked for this thread last night to ask if your Dad had the surgery yet but I couldn't find it. Have no idea why I couldn't find it but, in any case, I hope he is safely through the surgery.

How did he do? What does he surgeon say about his plans to travel?

Yes - thanks for asking. He finally got the surgery yesterday morning. He's home (they boot you out fast), but he's mostly been sleeping. I haven't seen him - I live 5 hours away and had to work all weekend.

He has a follow up next week - he hasn't had a chance to even talk to the DR - he woke up in the recovery room and never saw anyone but a nurse. I'll have him ask when he goes but it's probably too early for the surgeon to say.

Yes - thanks for asking. He finally got the surgery yesterday morning. He's home (they boot you out fast), but he's mostly been sleeping. ...

Yes they do, don't they. I had surgery on my left foot a couple weeks ago, on a Friday morning. I was home Saturday afternoon.

Edited by Treven

Actually, as soon as one is stable and safe, I think it a fairly good idea to get out

of the hospital ASAP. With all the hospital acquired infections we hear about these

days, the sooner you remove yourself (obviously with medical consent) the better chance of avoiding infection.

They had me up and walking next day after Open Heart Surgery and home within 3 1/2 days.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks - they sent him home last night and said come back at 700am to wait for a surgeon - he couldn't eat anything after midnight. He sat in the waiting room at the hospital all day - waiting. At 300pm they said to just go home again- and come back tomorrow. I'm so frustrated for him. I know he's in pain - and starving too. :mad:

Anyways, so hopefully surgery tomorrow - it needs to be done ASAP - at least one plate and one pin they said.

We won't know how he heals for weeks - and the DR won't be able to clear/not clear him until much closer to the cruise. I have to make final payment by Dec 7 so I just have to decide. I've already bought airfare (which killed me - see my other threads:eek:) and of course, unless I wanted to pay 3000.00$ it is the non refundable type.

So, I guess I will keep it and hope for the best. Hoping maybe he will be good enough for short distances or maybe walking cast? Will get wheelchair for airport because it is like 2 miles to the gate, and maybe for embarkation/debarkation so he's not standing for a long time.

I looked - there are no accessible cabins left on my cruise except in suites - can't do that.

Fingers crossed and hope for the best I guess!

Even though your airfare is non- refundable, if necessary to cancel, instead of cacelling contact the airline with reason for changing and ask for extension. You can usually then use the tickets anytime within a year from date of purchase.

If you're going on the cruise call the cruise line and ask if there are non-handicapped passengers in an accesible cabin that they could move to another cabin since yours is a real need for the cabin.

That's correct that he'll not be able to practice on the type of scooter rented from either CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas. Though having him ride a scooter provided at grocery stores or other mass merchants does provide some helpful insight as to how a scooter handles.

• The scooter at stores will be much larger than a rented scooter but it will give him a sense of how he has to prejudge distances when turning and stopping.
  • The controls basically operate in the same manner as the rented scooters.
  • The store scooter as well as the rented scooter do NOT come to complete stop when the lever is released. Rather it's a rolling stop . The lower the speed the shorter the roll the higher the speed the longer the roll.