Cat. 1 vs. Cat. 2 Staterooms

Cortesefam

We are excited to see the Star Clipper Asia itineraries for 2017--we can't imagine a better way to enjoy the Thai Coast and Andaman Sea islands! We're booking the Feb. 4 Northern itinerary, which looks spectacular.

We last traveled on the Star Clipper several years ago (Greek Islands), and were in a Cat. 2 on that trip. The great prices on offer tempt us to select one of the Cat. 1 "Deck" staterooms, but we're a little concerned about deck noise and privacy. We would welcome any recommendations/advice on the merits/drawbacks with these staterooms. We are thinking about one of the six staterooms on the Main Deck.

Thanks for all help and guidance.

As I recall the cabins on the Main Deck have a window and a door with a window in it. You can pin the cabin door back and sit outside too on a section of the deck outside your cabin. It is a hybrid balcony/promenade deck so people walk past. Not that easy to see inside cabin while walking past. They are good cabins in my opinion.

Regards John

We had a category 1 on the Main Deck on Star Flyer last time. It was great and I loved the "big" bathroom with a tub compared to the tiny showers in the other rooms. I would say Go For It!

*also, we are booked again in Cat 1, Main Deck

Edited by Sassy Chassis

Thank you both for your very helpful replies! We looked at the pictures on the Star Clippers site, and the larger bathroom is appealing. We're going forward with stateroom 505 for our cruise, which being on the end, should minimize "traffic" issues. We're traveling with another couple on this trip, and they decided to go with 533 on the Sun Deck--we will compare and report back on our experiences.

Such a long wait!

Thanks

Got2Cruise: We had the same thoughts as we were deciding--we normally think of being "on" the ship meaning the freedom to move around and enjoy all the amenities despite the weather. We concluded the fun of the sailing experience means dealing with it--and remembered that we spent virtually all our time on our last Star Clipper cruise on deck (and at the Tropical Bar!).

Got2Cruise: We had the same thoughts as we were deciding--we normally think of being "on" the ship meaning the freedom to move around and enjoy all the amenities despite the weather. We concluded the fun of the sailing experience means dealing with it--and remembered that we spent virtually all our time on our last Star Clipper cruise on deck (and at the Tropical Bar!).

Lol. Go for it! We had a storm leaving Venice the first night and I became seasick for the first time in my life. Of course Peter said during his story hour that our storm was nothing compared to what they've experienced. lol. I couldn't deal. Haha

Don't you have to walk outside on the deck to get to the dining room with those cabins? What does one do in rough seas or inclement weather?

Getting wet. (Another part of the fun.)

Four Weeks until Star Clipper... :-)

You just roll with it! I always take a packable rain jacket just in case.

I know this type of cruising isn't for everyone, but we like it BECAUSE it is not standard, Big Boat cruising. It's a sailing ship!

And yeah, we do spend a lot of time on deck... at the Tropical Bar, mojitos in hand. :D

• 4 weeks later...

We went 4 times with SC and the northern Thai route was our best cruise ever (we've been with our lines too..) stayed in 504 on main deck and it was just great - we enjoyed the larger bathroom space. The cabins are well screened so that you can see out but no-one can see in. I never sat on the deck outside - it's an area the crew are often maintaining.