Flight into FLL at 12 pm, going on independence?

krmlaw

Ugh. We have flights booked for the day before our sail, but of course that night is our sons Xmas pageant. And he is soooo upset to miss it.

We can take a flight out day of sailing, direct, from albany ny to FLL.

We would land at 12:10 (scheduled).

We have never done day of sail flight and worried about timing etc.

Thoughts? Doable? I know not ideal.

For almost four years, we flew regularly from Albany to SFO, most often through DC. Late departures often seemed like the rule rather than the exception. In particular, mechanical issues can take many many hours to address since parts and a mechanic often have to arrive on a different regularly scheduled flight from a major hub city. Trying a same day flight for a cruise embarkation would be a big mistake.

I've been on more delayed flights than I can remember, missed one due to security issue are airport too.

No way would I fly in the same day , especially not in winter.

Also in regards to travel insurance, I always read the complete terms and conditions. often in regards to missing your travel they have a 'reasonable time' clause, meaning you have to show that you left plenty of time to reach your cruise. So if you miss your cruise and they find out your orginal flights were for the day before they might not pay out. Please read all terms of conditions carefully of insurance before making any changes.

Also in regards to your son, which circumstance is going to make him more upset, missing his pageant or missing the cruise. If you miss the cruise are you able to board the cruise at next port? How much would it cost the family to get there? Will insurance cover the cost, are you sure your insurance will refund the whole cost of the cruise if you can't catch up with your cruise.

Think how your son would feel if you miss the cruise and have to come home. how would the rest of the family feel if you miss the cruise and have to come home. How will you feel if you miss the cruise, have to come home and can't get the thousands of dollars back you spent on the cruise.

Just think of the repercussions of missing the cruise then make a decision that you and your partner are happy with, whether this is flying in the day before or same day.

There's a lot to factor in IMO.

* What's the age of the child?

* What's his role in the pageant?

* Is it required for school (a grade)?

* What does my trip insurance allow (in case the ship is missed)?

* Is there another flight on another airline leaving earlier (or extremely late after the pageant)?

If I did this and I did miss the ship, I would NOT return home immediately. I'd use priceline or hotwire and get a nearby hotel on the beach for a week.

You are just wrong. There is no such thing as "elective maintenance." Things break in airplanes all the time. Some things you go back to the gate for, some things not. But if it breaks after departure, you rarely need to divert. But many times need to fix it to take off again. It's mandated by both safety and the FAA. Just because a plane arrives, doesn't mean it can legally take off again. Oh, by the way, if you think "el idiot" was working on it, maybe next time you can offer your "expertise" and do the job right. God knows you are probably way more talented than "el idiot" who works on an airplane that you are going to board, fly 7 miles above the earth, and safely land.... that is unless "el idiot" can't do the job. Then you're liable to end up in a smoking hole in the ground. But you got on the airplane knowing "el idiot" worked on it. Who's "el idiot" now?

All I know is the PILOT admitted when he was announcing that we were not going anywhere that they knew of this issue BEFORE they even left the gate much less took off in Akron. If it was that flight-threatening, why even take off when you know that it is an issue? THAT makes no sense. And definitely makes me even more likely to avoid Southwest to know that they are taking off with known mechanical issues.

And no... "Dallas" gave us the "only" aircraft they had - after it arrived from Atlanta at midnight. The one where el idiot couldn't figure out how to work the screwdriver correctly and without breaking a screw was out of service until they figured out how to remove the screw.

Didn't you already give your 2 cents in post 9? You aren't the parent. How did you get back so quick from last week anyway?

Get back from where? I wasn't away anywhere last week.

And this is a forum where we are all here to give our opinions about what is being discussed. I;m not here to worry about making you happy.

If you don't like me, then just skip over my posts.

Get back from where? I wasn't away anywhere last week.

And this is a forum where we are all here to give our opinions about what is being discussed. I;m not here to worry about making you happy.

If you don't like me, then just skip over my posts.

You should have said "I'm not here to make anyone happy"

We all know that!

All I know is the PILOT admitted when he was announcing that we were not going anywhere that they knew of this issue BEFORE they even left the gate much less took off in Akron. If it was that flight-threatening, why even take off when you know that it is an issue? THAT makes no sense. And definitely makes me even more likely to avoid Southwest to know that they are taking off with known mechanical issues.

And no... "Dallas" gave us the "only" aircraft they had - after it arrived from Atlanta at midnight. The one where el idiot couldn't figure out how to work the screwdriver correctly and without breaking a screw was out of service until they figured out how to remove the screw.

Not trying to hijack the thread or ruffle any feathers, and I'm certainly not defending Southwest (I am not a Southwest pilot, but am a pilot for another airline). But the FAA is very specific on what you can and can not fly with if inoperative. Flying with a mechanical issue? Well this is done all the time. If not, many flights would be delayed or cancelled. For example, aircraft have Auxiliary Power Units (APUs). If a generator fails, the aircraft can dispatch for a limited number of flights using the APU for the second generator. Tires are always worn from landings. If there is a "bald spot" on a tire you have up to 10 more landings before it can be changed, etc. So a plane dispatching with an item inop with the knowledge it will be fixed at the next station (your station) is nothing unusual. There are no "spare aircraft" just sitting around to be used. If they had delayed at the airport prior to yours, your flight still wouldn't have been on time.

As for breaking a screw? Well, that is unforeseen. But to call the mechanic "el idiot" is certainly insulting and disrespectful. An aircraft mechanic goes through extensive training and work experience before he is certified by the FAA. These are very professional individuals working on a hot or cold ramp, in often cramped and close quarters, in a hurried environment, to get an airplane back in the air in a manner that will ensure it's safe return. There are 150 lives counting on "el idiot" to do it right. But, stuff happens. Screws break. So, unfortunate for you, you happened to be on that flight. And I've had my share of mechanical delays over 28 years of flying. I can assure you that there have been any disgruntled passengers. But because of great mechanics, and the decisions of the pilots the company, and the FAA, each of those disgruntled passengers has survived to go on a public forum and use the term "el idiot" when describing the person on whose ability your life depended on.

A 12 noon arrival in Fort Lauderdale is not at all unreasonable.

Many here make it sound like every flight will be delayed. Here's the reality...

Latest government statistics show that Delta flights arrived within 14 minutes of schedule 90.5% of the time. Within 14 minutes!

If you stretch the scenario to arriving within an hour, it approaches 100%.

Given that Fort Lauderdale is an easy 15 minute taxi ride to the port, 12 noon is very reasonable. Sure delays do happen, but they are not as common as the naysayers make it out to be.

A 12 noon arrival in Fort Lauderdale is not at all unreasonable.

Many here make it sound like every flight will be delayed. Here's the reality...

Latest government statistics show that Delta flights arrived within 14 minutes of schedule 90.5% of the time. Within 14 minutes!

If you stretch the scenario to arriving within an hour, it approaches 100%.

Given that Fort Lauderdale is an easy 15 minute taxi ride to the port, 12 noon is very reasonable. Sure delays do happen, but they are not as common as the naysayers make it out to be.

What an irrelevant statement. Overall on-time percentages for airlines have little to do with current on-time data for any particular airport.

Just checked flightview.com and, at 11AM EST, ALB has approx. 50% of it's departing flights listed as "late" or "very late."

What an irrelevant statement. Overall on-time percentages for airlines have little to do with current on-time data for any particular airport.

Just checked flightview.com and, at 11AM EST, ALB has approx. 50% of it's departing flights listed as "late" or "very late."

You can't group other airlines in with Southwest. Southwest has excellent history of on time departures from ALB

Edited by SeaUs

What does that have to do with anything?

If the parents are already taking that child out of school for a week, they are already teaching him that a cruise is more important than school. And then the choice to prioritize flying out the day before is clearer.

That's what worries me - it's December 10 sailing.

We are on that same cruise, but flying in the day before. I've flown day of a couple of times and each time we've made it, but it's absolutely 10x as stressful and not the way I want to start my vacation.

Only you know what's more important. It's definitely doable, but it will be close. As long as everything goes as planned, or at least very close to plan, you should be fine. Any major delays and you'll be flying to Cozumel for a 2nt cruise. :eek:

It's a 4 night cruise leaving on Thursday

It's a Thursday - Monday cruise, so that's 3 days out of school leaving day of or 4 days out of school leaving day before. I'm sure by saying "week" Merion_Mom meant 5 days, so not far off.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

You are just wrong. There is no such thing as "elective maintenance." Things break in airplanes all the time. Some things you go back to the gate for, some things not. But if it breaks after departure, you rarely need to divert. But many times need to fix it to take off again. It's mandated by both safety and the FAA. Just because a plane arrives, doesn't mean it can legally take off again. Oh, by the way, if you think "el idiot" was working on it, maybe next time you can offer your "expertise" and do the job right. God knows you are probably way more talented than "el idiot" who works on an airplane that you are going to board, fly 7 miles above the earth, and safely land.... that is unless "el idiot" can't do the job. Then you're liable to end up in a smoking hole in the ground. But you got on the airplane knowing "el idiot" worked on it. Who's "el idiot" now?

I truly wanted to clap! Well said, sir!

When we were new to cruising we did same day flights at noon....not anymore. We never got burned, but the possibility was too real for us. We're even going up to Baltimore the day before our upcoming cruise because we just don't want to miss the boat! And we're only about 4-5 hours drive from there!

No one can tell you how important the play is to your son or to your family so, it's really up to what your comfortable with. You will find stories of this situation working and not working.

Were it my family, I'd skip the pageant, but ultimately it's what it means to you.

Safe travels, Sam

Edited by BunkerVA