Can someone please explain "My Time Dining?"

CAEkids

We'll be taking our first RC cruise on the Freedom on 12/13. We booked a little late and couldn't get early dining. 8pm is much too late for my little kids.

1) What are the chances we can change our time to the early seating once we're on the ship?

2) How does my time dining work?

Thank you!!

I couldn't guess at an answer for #1, but as for #2, picture the dining room as a restaurant. You can go online and schedule your dining time before your cruise, or once on board make the arrangements. If you'd rather not schedule anything, simply walk up when you're ready to eat.

Thanks!

So even though we're scheduled for 8pm, we can eat any time we want? Why do they have a scheduled time then? I'm new to this ;)

It sounds like you have traditional late dining. I'd confirm exactly what you have.

Yes Bob, that's what we have. Early was booked. How do I schedule the my time dining? Can I do once we're on the ship?

You need to contact whoever booked your cruise and try to change to My Time now. If they don't have room for you now, then try to change as soon as you board the ship.

Yes Bob, that's what we have. Early was booked. How do I schedule the my time dining? Can I do once we're on the ship?

If you think you'll prefer mtd, I would attempt to make the change asap...it is popular and will likely be full before the cruise date.

I tried to change from late traditional to mtd for a recent cruise. When I contacted rci customer service, I was informed that, if I had one, I would need to contact my travel agent to make any changes to dining plans. But, he also told me that it was already full for my sailing, so even if I were to contact my TA, there would be nothing they could do anyway. He was very friendly about it and simply recommended that I attempt to waitlist once onboard.

Before you sail, you need to call whomever you booked your cruise with and ask to be changed to MyTime Dining. If it can't be done before you sail for whatever reason, first thing once onboard, go see the dining room maitre'd and ask to either be changes to early traditional set dining (if that's you're preference), or to MyTime Dining if that's you're preference. They can make the change right then if space is available.

You will have either traditional set dining OR MyTime Dining, not both.

From our experience, with My Time booked in advance you have to pay the service/mandatory/gratuity/whatever daily fee upfront. RCL is "afraid" that folks won't pay the daily charge (or withhold some) if they don't have the same servers every night. I'm not sure how it works if you change once on board. We book My Time via our TA, pay the "fee" at final payment time and then have less to worry about during the cruise.

From our experience, with My Time booked in advance you have to pay the service/mandatory/gratuity/whatever daily fee upfront. ...

That's not the case anymore. Royal changed the policy several months ago, and you are no longer required to prepay gratuities when you choose My Time Dining.