Theft and Safe's on the Radiance?

Of course there is sometimes an exception, but I've always found that hotel housekeeping folks and ship's stewards take great pride in the position of trust that they enjoy. Of course in those exceptions, it's really very easy to tell if a pattern developes. Yes there is a safe, but I've rarely used them and never had anything disappear.

All of the cabins on the newer ships have a safe. I would say that the reported rate of thefts from the cabins is very low. If you have valuables, be sure to put them in the safe and be sure to lock the safe. There was a thread a couple of years ago where someone complained about they a theft from the safe while at the same time admitting that he had failed to lock the safe. The safes are electronic and you pick your own code to lock them. You need to keep in mind that there are people on the ship that do have the ability to override your code and open the safe. This is necessary since there are always passengers that forget their code and can't open the safe or leave it locked when they leave the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed the Grandeur last week and had no problems. Our safe was the "magnetic strip locking" kind. Hubby used his drivers license to lock and unlock it...don't use your room key. We kept my jewelry and our cash in there anytime we weren't in the room. I kept the spare camera in a bag behind closed doors so it wasn't obvious.

I would think that the cruise lines want to make sure they don't have stealing problems on any of their ships. Not good for business.

The room stewards are the only ones in your room, other than you. (Well, room service, momentarily, but you are presumably there at the time.) And the room stewards prop your door open when they are in there, to avoid the impression that they are taking your stuff.

And realistically, they can't very easily take and hide something in their quarters, nor would they likely jeopardize their job anyway. But I use the safe for big items like camcorders, passports, and cash.

Empress of the Seas was the only ship I've ever sailed on that didn't have an in-room safe. Although there were safe's available for rent behind the guest relations desk. Free of charge of course.

When we sailed the Nordic Empress (now renamed Empress of the Seas) some years ago, there was a safe in the room. It was located on the floor of the closet which wasn't very convenient. However, it was there.:)

It's never the crew that I'm worried about, but when your door is propped open there is the chance that someone else could access part of your cabin, or take something that is accessible from the open door.

This, of course is unlikely. Most people are not thieves.

When we sailed the Nordic Empress (now renamed Empress of the Seas) some years ago, there was a safe in the room. It was located on the floor of the closet which wasn't very convenient. However, it was there.:)

Not in my ocean view room it wasn't. I'm sure a rich guy like you were in a suite or something. ;)

Not in my ocean view room it wasn't. I'm sure a rich guy like you were in a suite or something. ;)

I have to have a safe in my room because stuffing all my cash under the mattress too makes it too uncomfortable and difficult to sleep.:D

Actually I think it may have been a category C before they called them Junior suites.

I have to have a safe in my room because stuffing all my cash under the mattress too makes it too uncomfortable and difficult to sleep.:D

Actually I think it may have been a category C before they called them Junior suites.

Oh, those are those Aft balcony's? I always wanted to try one but DW says she likes to see where the ship is going. Now if only these Royal ships would have self service laundry's. I'm joking, I'm joking. :D

Oh, those are those Aft balcony's? I always wanted to try one but DW says she likes to see where the ship is going. Now if only these Royal ships would have self service laundry's. I'm joking, I'm joking. :D

No, actually it was on the port side just forward of the Centrum if I remember correctly.

You may get your wish with the Freedom. Enchantment installed them during the stretch (or at least alloted some space for them) but have not made them available (reportedly to protect the jobs of the workers in the Chinese laundry).:)

Hope you enjoy your Jewel (Norwegian) cruise as much as we expect to enjoy our JOS. Check out the green-cushioned lounges in the Spinnaker Lounge, but make sure you don't have anything planned for the rest of the day - you might not want to get up out of them.:) Enjoy the Garden Villa.;)

No, actually it was on the port side just forward of the Centrum if I remember correctly.

You may get your wish with the Freedom. Enchantment installed them during the stretch (or at least alloted some space for them) but have not made them available (reportedly to protect the jobs of the workers in the Chinese laundry).:)

Hope you enjoy your Jewel (Norwegian) cruise as much as we expect to enjoy our JOS. Check out the green-cushioned lounges in the Spinnaker Lounge, but make sure you don't have anything planned for the rest of the day - you might not want to get up out of them.:) Enjoy the Garden Villa.;)

I'm working on getting a tour of the Courtyard Villa from one of my fellow Roll Call members. I'd like to know who was the genius who decided to put the suite staterooms under the gym. My mini suite is nearly underneath the treadmills.

I'm working on getting a tour of the Courtyard Villa from one of my fellow Roll Call members. I'd like to know who was the genius who decided to put the suite staterooms under the gym. My mini suite is nearly underneath the treadmills.

Probably cheaper than putting alarm clocks in the suites.:D

When we toured one of the Garden Villas wasn't occupied so it was possible to get in to see it. If you get an opportunity don't pass it up.:)

Archived