What on earth is happening to royal caribbean

Quite a huge investment in new ships and few older ships going to the breakers or being sold.. So the company has to fund this somehow.. New ships have higher pricing so that's one way.. Reduce quality of service is another so expenditure is less. One would think there will be w tipping point at some stage where older and smaller ships will become unpopular and there will be a rather larger shake up across the industry.. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money - volume will eventually become the key.. Shorter cruises with higher fares to increase turnover with predictable itineraries and schedules will be the norm..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a dream last night that Royal bought one of the Maid of the Mist boats and converted it to a cruise ship because there was so much clamor for a more intimate experience. It was renamed "The Maid of the Seas" The newest member of the fleet looked ridiculous at the pier in Cozumel next to the Allure whose lifeboats hold as many people the Maid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamFritz

I had a dream last night that Royal bought one of the Maid of the Mist boats and converted it to a cruise ship because there was so much clamor for a more intimate experience. It was renamed "The Maid of the Seas" The newest member of the fleet looked ridiculous at the pier in Cozumel next to the Allure whose lifeboats hold as many people the Maid.

The old Maid of the Mist or the new Horn Blower? The HB's look modern and slick, but will still look tiny next to Allure.:D

Room service pizza last night. No sauce, 3 pepperoni, and maybe an ounce of cheese. Now I know why they sent Ketchup

Are they all getting cooked w/o sauce? I hated the pizza on Serenade's Windjammer. Just cheese and pepperoni. It took NO willpower to avoid.

We had some dreadful room service on the Grandeur. We were in a GS and opted to spend formal night in our room. Big mistake, because we couldn't send it back!

Are they all getting cooked w/o sauce? I hated the pizza on Serenade's Windjammer. Just cheese and pepperoni. It took NO willpower to avoid.

We had some dreadful room service on the Grandeur. We were in a GS and opted to spend formal night in our room. Big mistake, because we couldn't send it back!

Why couldn't you send it back? Regardless of whether you were in a GS or regular cabin, if the food was not good I would call room service and tell them and get something else, or have the original meal replaced.

We went on our first RCL cruise in 2012. Already then ppl were complaining about the service and food getting worse. We thought the cruise was perfect. Since then we've been on another two cruises, one on the Allure and another returning to the Radiance for a second time this past summer. On all three cruises the service was top notch and the food was great. And on all three cruises, while still onboard, we encountered other guests who were hating the cruise for what seemed to us like really silly reasons. For instance, we got to the Windjammer on the Allure a few minutes b4 opening time, so naturally a line started to form. The man in front of us went on and on about how annoying it is to stand in lines on vacation and this being a terrible ship bla bla bla, when this particular line could have easily been avoided if he just chose to show up five minutes later when the Windjammer had already opened (not to mention it's not a big deal to begin with to stand in a short line to get into a restaurant...we all do it at home).

We found that the ppl who were complaining were really nitpicking and ruining their own vacation.

I think a big part of a vacation is your attitude. If you're looking for reasons to get mad - you'll find them. We have enjoyed all three of our cruises immensely and have seen no decline in service or food over the past 3 years.

If you go in with low expectations, you won't be disappointed, hence no complaints.

The old Maid of the Mist or the new Horn Blower? The HB's look modern and slick, but will still look tiny next to Allure.:D

The problem with the hornblowers is that they keep running them into the docks. They already look pretty beat up.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who rant and rave against Royal, but continue to sail on their ships. I personally like Royal and I think that is evident in my cruise history.

If you don't like something and continue to subject yourself to it, you need mental health counseling. Give yourself and the rest of us a break and find a new cruise line. If you are still unhappy, the problem is YOU, not the cruise lines. Take up solitaire, then you will truly have nobody to blame but yourself.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who rant and rave against Royal, but continue to sail on their ships. I personally like Royal and I think that is evident in my cruise history.

If you don't like something and continue to subject yourself to it, you need mental health counseling. Give yourself and the rest of us a break and find a new cruise line. If you are still unhappy, the problem is YOU, not the cruise lines. Take up solitaire, then you will truly have nobody to blame but yourself.

I wish there was a like button.

Totally agree!

I have friends that are always complaining. One of them always says how they were so impressed with Disney. Told her, then go on Disney. She told me back "Oh, they are too expensive and I have to buy drinks on there". Ok... then quit complaining each time you are on Royal Caribbean!

Fixed.

Pretty childish to change someone's statement. If you don't agree fine to change someone's opinion is wrong and probably against the law, but why would I expect anything less from the cheerleaders. My opinion is based on what I experienced on my first 30 cruises we took. That's were my expectations were formed. They set the bar, not me.

If you go in with low expectations you won't be disappointed. This is an opinion, which last I heard is my right to give it.

The problem with the hornblowers is that they keep running them into the docks. They already look pretty beat up.

Good thing I know that now, not before we rode on it in September.:eek: I haven't been to the falls in 10 years so to see the Maid replaced it was a surprise. I actually like the old boats, call it retro or throwback.

I took my family on Oasis this summer and had a marvelous time. I contacted Royal Dining ahead of time and they made sure my family had the best table and servers on the ship. I was so happy with the experience. It was my younger son, wife and grandchildren's very first cruise! They will forever be Loyal to Royal. The older son and his wife, who have sailed many lines, thought it was wonderful. Like me, they usually do Celebrity, but I got a kick about the youth, energy and fun on Royal. I love them all. There is so much to like about sailing, the food is the least important thing to me, but my family thought it was great. This was a great time for us, and I am thankful to Royal for making it special for us. With Oasis moving to Cape Canaveral next year, you can be sure I will make this an annual tradition. People are as happy as they choose to be.

...People are as happy as they choose to be.

Very happy to hear that your family had a great time.

I do get tired of posts that suggest everyone can have a great time on every cruise. It just isn't the case. Even those who generally try to made the best of any experience.

What would you do if you had to spend five nights sleeping in a cabin that stunk of sewage? Would you choose to be happy? Is that really a choice?

My problem is that some people who have sailed on only one cruise line seem to think and say that it is the best. ??? Sure, they may like it, but how can they say it's the best? I'm on a terribly boring thread now about the Harmony T/A next October, and everyone seems to know everyone, and so they are a tight-knit community who sail on only RCCL.

Why don't people try different cruise lines in order to compare snd then choose a favourite?

Personally, I am fed up with RCCL. The Harmony will probably be my last cruise wth them, and I am doing it only to experience a mega-ship. I think they are cutting corners by nickel and diming us, and their entertainment is the pits! And, I was not at all impressed with their food!

I could go on and on but why bother?

M.

Edited by BabaSails

Very happy to hear that your family had a great time.

I do get tired of posts that suggest everyone can have a great time on every cruise. It just isn't the case. Even those who generally try to made the best of any experience.

What would you do if you had to spend five nights sleeping in a cabin that stunk of sewage? Would you choose to be happy? Is that really a choice?

Oh, I am so sorry this happened to you. No, I certainly would not be happy in that terrible situation. I have had good cruises on Cunard, Premiere (now defunct), Admiral (probably also defunct), and Carnival. I am planning to try Norweigan when it bring the Epic to Canaveral. It's fun to try other lines. There are always challenges on every cruise, but sewage? I remember a Celebrity Cruise where the plumbing kept getting stopped up. Less than pleasant. My sympathy.

I think you have summed this up quite nicely...K.O.:)

My problem is that some people who have sailed on only one cruise line seem to think and say that it is the best. ??? Sure, they may like it, but how can they say it's the best? I'm on a terribly boring thread now about the Harmony T/A next October, and everyone seems to know everyone, and so they are a tight-knit community who sail on only RCCL.

Why don't people try different cruise lines in order to compare snd then choose a favourite?

Personally, I am fed up with RCCL. The Harmony will probably be my last cruise wth them, and I am doing it only to experience a mega-ship. I think they are cutting corners by nickel and diming us, and their entertainment is the pits! And, I was not at all impressed with their food!

M.

I am on that roll call for Harmony that you refer to in this post. I for one do not consider it 'terribly boring' and I do not ONLY sail on Royal Caribbean. I have had sailings on both Princess and Celebrity.

Enjoyed those other sailings but I have found a comfort zone in RCI. The Oasis class and Quantum class entertainment is top notch. I can speak from experience about that. Hope you will enjoy that aspect as well on Harmony.

M.

"I could go on but why bother", all I can say is thank god you won't go on!!...Entertainment the pits, is certainly one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in quite some time. That being said I have to laugh at this whole post as a whole. Can't wait to hear your moaning regarding your next cruise line.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"I could go on but why bother", all I can say is thank god you won't go on!!...Entertainment the pits, is certainly one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in quite some time. That being said I have to laugh at this whole post as a whole. Can't wait to hear your moaning regarding your next cruise line.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As I said, I'm giving Royal one more try in order to experience the Harmony. I'm relieved to hear that the entertainment will be better than on other RC cruises! Looking forward to a new, exciting and a little bit scary experience on such a huge ship. But, my previous comments were based on past and truthful experiences. Guess what's good and what's 'the pits' is just a matter of personal opinion and comparison; for example, the cruise directors and the entertainment on the Jewel were at least 90% better than what I experienced on the Explorer, which had, IMHO, the second worst cruise director ever, whom I had to put up with for three weeks! (The worst was on my one and only Carnival cruise.) And, the entertainment reaaly was sad for the three weeks I was on board, perhaps because it was a repositioning cruise?

No one is right or wrong. We all have opinions, which thankfully differ widely, and I have stated mine. Some look forward to getting together with former sailing buddies; I do not. Call me a snob, but there are very few I'd like to meet on another cruise ... well, maybe some Aussies I met on the Explorer, but I will still choose to dine alone. And, age is probably a factor, too; some older folks (like me) have higher expectations when we spend our pension income snd savings. As our days are limited, we want and look for good quality. I have yet to find it on RC.

M.

Edited by BabaSails

M.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most people have tried at least 1 or 2 other cruise lines. Many people enjoy RCI and choose to stick with them.

I for one have tried Princess, Carnival, and NCL.

Princess - food and service was comparable to Royal, activities (other than MUTS) were subpar at best.

Carnival - is Carnival. Wasn't a fan of the fellow passengers, hated the looks of the ship, activities were ok, but too party boat for us.

NCL - nickel and diming at its finest. Food, service, activities were all good, but I think that Royal offers an overall superior product.

Have to ask were your entertainment comments come from. Oasis and Quantum Class entertainment is the best of the best. Other class' entertainment isn't as amazing, but it definitely is not in the pits.

You can be fed up with Royal all you want, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is.

Just my thoughts...and i am one of the folks BabaSails is on the "boring" RC cruise with. You know, my Momma raised me not to say negative things to people to their face...but maybe some don't have that luxury.

We have sailed on three other lines besides Royal Caribbean but prefer it to the others. Honestly, if a person finds a line that hits their niche at least 90 percent of the time, they should stick with it.

Before I would spend 13 nights on one of the big ships, and airfare to get to Europe, I would try Oasis or Allure in FL first, and save some money. A person would know in 7 days if the big ships suit them or not.

I always go looking for the best in cruises, and I find when my attitude is positive, others reflect that back to me, at least I find that true on RC.

Edited by internetwhiz

Internetwhiz, I agree. I have sailed more than 20 times, mostly longer cruises now that I am retired. Since I live here in Florida, the Caribbean is close and convenient, no flying! I have logged hundreds of days at sea, transatlantic and longer southern Caribbean. I like the reciprocity of status within the RCCI community. I achieved Elite on Celebrity awhile ago, and now get the Diamond benefits on RCL. I have only done 4 RCL cruises. It does tend to make you loyal to a brand but I am open to trying others. As I am getting older, I often just go for the ship, not the ports. In fact, I haven't even gone into port on the last two. I enjoy ship amenities and wish more were open on port days. I love those big ships for that reason. There are lots of things to do, good shows and nice places to stroll in Central Park. I agree that attitude is everything. After all, you are on vacation!