Starting to get concerned about our day at AC

cruisingwith4littles

Well, "concerned" probably isn't the best word to use, as I'm fully aware that just being on a cruise vacation in a beautiful port with my family is really no cause for concern, I was hoping to be more confidently planning our day.

We'll be in AC in Mar 2016, and was hoping that we would've seen more reviews flowing in by now. I'm finding it hard to find any excursions that suit what we are interested in. I was considering a beach day at Coconut Cove, but the few reviews I've read have referenced the fact that the long drive (which I don't mind... I try to always take any opportunity for my kids to see a new area), isn't worth the short amount of time spent at the beach. None of the other excursions are really appealing to the combo of fun/relaxing/interesting that we're personally looking for, and I'd have a hard time spending money or committing a day of vacation to an excursion that has no reviews. And the feedback I have hard about nonstop timeshare sales pressure during excursions sounds like quite a headache.

So I guess it's possible that we'll end up at the port/pool all day. I feel like solid info and feedback is hard to come by. What restaurants are there? What's the price range? Are the water sports rentals close in proximity to the pool? How long are the rentals for? Trying to figure out if a pool cabana makes sense....we have 4 kids, would 6 chairs by the pool by hard to come by if we decided against a cabana? Would a cabana make sense if we're up and moving the whole day? Is the included food the same type as what's offered in the HMC cabanas? Is it possible for my family of 6 to try and snag a cab for a quick tour? Is this a reasonable price?

So basically I'm pleading for any and all info, even if you haven't been yet and are still planning your Amber Cove day....share what info you have, what you're considering, or what you've ruled out. Just throw it all at me!!!! I'm a "planner" by nature, and this is starting to drive me nuts!

Edited by cruisingwith4littles

I will be there next month and I don't know what we are going to do either :confused: As you said, not many reviews, pictures, etc. I think we are going to stay at the port and maybe book a poolside cabana but I just don't know. I wish there were more people posting about their experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

We found a place called Country World Adventure Park that we are thinking about booking for our early February cruise. We will be traveling with our two little boys (8 and 3). This place is supposed to be about 10 minutes from the port and has zip lines, horseback riding, lunch, a petting zoo, and you can also do the waterfalls if you want to (I don't think we will). I believe it was $90 for adults and $80 for kids (plus $30 each if you want to do the waterfalls).

We are a family of six that spent Thanksgiving day at the pool. We did go straight there and were the first at the pool. Greeted by a nice man who dried our chairs off and explained where everything was. We got six chairs right by the waterslide. Restrooms are near there. The pool cabanas were right behind us. We were glad we didn't rent one and thought it wouldn't be worth it. The Waterslide and ziplining walk up was right there too, so it was perfect with our grandkids. Our grandson ziplined all day for 6.00. It was nice going straight there because as the day went on the lines were longer. He probably ziplined 10 times before any lines and used the slides also.

We got hamburger sliders with fries that cost $6.00. Chicken quesadilla with fries 10.00. Beer and drinks expensive. 6.00 beer/ 7.95 mixed drink. We were only in port till 4:00...so we didn't want to take the time to go back on the ship and eat and then go back. We were glad we ate a little then just got a snack when we got back on the ship at 3:30.

We loved it there. We all want to go back and are looking for another cruise with a stop there.

My two daughters and I went shopping and even went back to a couple stores a few times. It is a close walk so that made it nice. I also took 2 inner tubes and we blew them up when we got there and they let us use them in the pool. We floated on them all day. They rent rafts for 8.00 all day and also other things like umbrellas, etc..

It was the perfect day for our family. We flew in from different states so it was a great way to spend the day together!!

Thanks so much for the info about your pool day! Sounds like it was a great time, hopefully our day goes as smoothly as yours!

I'm still not thrilled about the idea of being in a country we've never been to before and not taking the opportunity to have a look around, but the lack of information and reviews about the excursions makes me hesitant to spend our valuable vacation time and money.

Sounds like a day at the port is what it's going to be for us...Thanks again!

I going to be at Amber Cove the week after Christmas. Not planning a tour. Just staying in the port area. In May my ship docked in La Romana(sp?). Not a great area. We went to an open air market in town. Trinkets and very poor people. I can see why Carnival has made their own docking area in Amber Cove.

Thanks so much for the info about your pool day! Sounds like it was a great time, hopefully our day goes as smoothly as yours!

I'm still not thrilled about the idea of being in a country we've never been to before and not taking the opportunity to have a look around, but the lack of information and reviews about the excursions makes me hesitant to spend our valuable vacation time and money.

Sounds like a day at the port is what it's going to be for us...Thanks again!

There is a city tour that is around $30 and is only about two hours. We are thinking of going to the pool where my husband and boys will stake out chairs and the DD and I will go off on the tour. When we get back, we'll join the boys who may go back to the ship at that point. (We are more adventurous than they are.) you could do a quick morning tour and then hit the pool.

Are you definitely looking for beach type of adventure? If not, check to see if they have the "Outback Safari" from AC. I believe they do. I've done this tour a couple of times from Punta Cana and I recall them having it from the Puerto Plata area as well. It's fantastic. The ride in the large vehicles is so much fun and you make plenty of stops, they have refreshments onboard, it's open-air, you get to see how the locals live and make a living, generally visiting a school as well.

Really, Really a cool excursion.

We are hoping to do one from LaRomana next winter on our stop there.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

We are a family of six that spent Thanksgiving day at the pool. We did go straight there and were the first at the pool. Greeted by a nice man who dried our chairs off and explained where everything was. We got six chairs right by the waterslide. Restrooms are near there. The pool cabanas were right behind us. We were glad we didn't rent one and thought it wouldn't be worth it. The Waterslide and ziplining walk up was right there too, so it was perfect with our grandkids. Our grandson ziplined all day for 6.00. It was nice going straight there because as the day went on the lines were longer. He probably ziplined 10 times before any lines and used the slides also.

We got hamburger sliders with fries that cost $6.00. Chicken quesadilla with fries 10.00. Beer and drinks expensive. 6.00 beer/ 7.95 mixed drink. We were only in port till 4:00...so we didn't want to take the time to go back on the ship and eat and then go back. We were glad we ate a little then just got a snack when we got back on the ship at 3:30.

We loved it there. We all want to go back and are looking for another cruise with a stop there.

My two daughters and I went shopping and even went back to a couple stores a few times. It is a close walk so that made it nice. I also took 2 inner tubes and we blew them up when we got there and they let us use them in the pool. We floated on them all day. They rent rafts for 8.00 all day and also other things like umbrellas, etc..

It was the perfect day for our family. We flew in from different states so it was a great way to spend the day together!!

Is this right near the port or do we have to take a taxi? Is it one set price or pay as you use the amenity..ex: zip lining ?

Is this right near the port or do we have to take a taxi? Is it one set price or pay as you use the amenity..ex: zip lining ?

The Amber Cove port area is right at cruise ship dock, the pool and chairs are free to use, I believe there are additional charges for zip lining, an umbrella, renting a cabana, etc.

If you Google Amber Cove, you will find several websites with info, maps and pictures of what is available at the port area.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in AC during 12/15 we loved it there we took a taxi to Sosua about 35-40 minutes drive, self hubby kids (19,16). We asked our taxi to show us the town for a few extra bucks and he was nice enough to do it. Beach is beautiful !!!!! Sosua is a beach town we walked around did some shopping. Restaurants both in town and on the beach were good. We visited the supermarket my daughter wanted to buy a few things that she was able to purchase at a cheaper price than the tourist shops.

All and all we really loved our time there. When took our ride through town very colonial and beautiful. We look forward to our next visit to AC the city of Puerto Plata is beautiful. The people were all very polite and friendly. Hope this helps you guys. I'll be glad to help with any questions. Our taxi dropped us off in the center of town we took public transportation back to the ship. If you just need to grab a ride to and from town you can do this at a much cheaper price. Just grab a pubic bus Named: JAVILLA TOURS and it will drop you off at the entrance of the AC Port and at their bus stop in Town for $5 pp.

• Like 1

Well, "concerned" probably isn't the best word to use, as I'm fully aware that just being on a cruise vacation in a beautiful port with my family is really no cause for concern, I was hoping to be more confidently planning our day.

So basically I'm pleading for any and all info, even if you haven't been yet and are still planning your Amber Cove day....share what info you have, what you're considering, or what you've ruled out. Just throw it all at me!!!! I'm a "planner" by nature, and this is starting to drive me nuts!

Check out Marisol Tours. He set up a custom day for us; however, we have a large group. Also check out Fun City Action Park. He may also work out a fun day for you. I have quotes from both.

Just got off the Valor yesterday and had a great trip! Our first port stop was Amber Cove, had a blast! DS (13) and DH totally enjoyed the pool and slides, the pool was wonderful, plenty of space and chairs, bathrooms clean and waiters were plentiful and attentive. Very nice setup and we could have easily stayed here in port if we did not have an excursion for later in morning. They also have a zip line in area as well but we did not have time to try it but there were a lot of people doing it while we were there.

We also did the day pass to Ocean World, it was fun and the shows (especially the dolphin show) were entertaining and professional. DH and DS snorkeled in the reef tank and as they were in the tank when one of the shows were going on, they were able to stay in for a much longer period of time than more crowded times. We also enjoyed the beach area at OW and they had a couple of great slides that DS enjoyed there as well (extra money $10 unlimited for the triple slides and included some other of the water things you could do as well but he loved the bigger slides and had a lot of fun).

This day pass was a Carnival excursion and it was for half a day, transportation was on nice air conditioned bus. You could catch one of several going back to port if you did not want to stay the whole time.

Edited by Drazil65

I going to be at Amber Cove the week after Christmas. Not planning a tour. Just staying in the port area. In May my ship docked in La Romana(sp?). Not a great area. We went to an open air market in town. Trinkets and very poor people. I can see why Carnival has made their own docking area in Amber Cove.

La Romana was our favorite by far. We booked seavis tours and would recommend them hands down if you ever go there again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have booked a tour for 18 of us with Francisco (Marysol Tours). We are going to be in the DR in March. He has been awesome answering our many questions. We are doing a 4 1/2 tour that includes the Damajaqua Falls first and if there is time leftover, a few local stops on the way back to the port. We made a deposit through PayPal and will pay the balance when we get there.

Edited by footfixer1