REVIEW 10-17-2015 Crown Hawai, Samoa, Tahiti

ccrain

Glad you saw what we saw with the scheduling and the number of people that interest in the shows.

Are you and your wife the ones that sat next to us the day we checked in and I asked about your beads?? So many at the CC meeting never got to see the people that posted a lot.

We weren't wearing beads. The CC meeting was a bit crazy. There were a lot of people there. We probably could have done it in the theater!

The scheduling is the CD's responsibility.

I know everyone talks about their personalities and whether they're out and about or not but this is how I judge just how good a CD is.

That's why I don't mind CDs who are not as 'public' as others. If they schedule stuff in a way that we can see and do a lot, then I am happy. In fact some of the less 'public' CDs are some pretty good schedulers.

Scheduling was completely up to the CD and Deputy CD on this Crown cruise. We've sailed with Kelvin twice before and never had this kind of scheduling issues, including an 8 day transpacific at sea. Not sure what the deal was, or if it was a double whammy FIGMO issue - both Kelvin and Matais were leaving the Crown within 2 weeks.

However, now the Crown is trying out the new organization. Samantha Bockar (Hawker-Thomas) is on board as the Entertainment Director (ED) and I think Dan Appleby is the CD.

The ED will basically eliminate the role of Deputy CD and handle all scheduling, booking and paperwork, leaving the CD to host and participate and be the 'public face'.

We'll see how this works...

Ahoy there Charles & Judy,

This is my first post since our return to "real" life.:eek: Mahalo for the links and I will try to find time this afternoon to begin reading through them.

Coffee klatches were fun and got going way before 0700 hrs. If I came in at 0615 hrs. I was considered late.:p Having Victoria as barista was super, she was one of the reasons this whole coffee klatch got started on my cruises back in '11. She did like seeing her photo from then at the I/C bar in my employee favorites album.

Just a note on Dengue Fever and wearing mosquito repellant, we have had a large outbreak here that started in Hilo on Sept 11 and is continuing. The CDC is here now to help determine what can be done. There have been more than 108 cases and it is being spread around the island. So for anyone considering coming over here soon, wear your bug juice!;)

That's all for now,

Cheers,

Herb

It was a bucket list cruise.

This review is geared towards those booked or contemplating booking the 2016 or beyond 28/29 day itinerary. Hopefully it gives you some flavor of what to expect, the things to do and the sights you'll see.

I do have the patters scanned and will upload the Google Drive link later in this thread.

The review is fully illustrated with photos from the cruise and is in pdf, in two parts.

Here's the first part.

Fabulous detailed review and photos as usual.

You mention 2016 and beyond, but I don't see this itinerary anywhere... just a 21 day from Auckland to L.A. on the Pacific Princess...

How far in advance did you book? What does the per-day expense break down to on a trip of this length?

Thanks again for sharing your experience, it's a wonderful way for those of us who can't do these long cruises to travel vicariously through your eyes and your words!!!

You mention 2016 and beyond, but I don't see this itinerary anywhere... just a 21 day from Auckland to L.A. on the Pacific Princess...

How far in advance did you book? What does the per-day expense break down to on a trip of this length?

Thanks again for sharing your experience, it's a wonderful way for those of us who can't do these long cruises to travel vicariously through your eyes and your words!!!

Try looking under Hawaii. Also they only have the 2016 listed for now. The 2017 will not be listed until around the middle of May, 2016.

We booked the 2015 cruise in May of 2014. Had to cancel 3 hrs before we were to board. Now we are looking at the 2017 cruise and will book it the first day it becomes available. (May 13 or 14 or 15 of 2016.)

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

We booked in May 2014.

I keep a detailed Cruise Evaluation Spreadsheet, a symptom of my OCPD, to trade off costs of cruises. This one was on the high side of my typical cruise selection, but since it was a one off unique cruise, cost wasn't that big a driver.

My bottom line, because of our dogs and heavy tipping, plus photos and the bar bill, came out to about $14k for the whole cruise. (I used FF miles for the airfare and HH points for the hotel.) That's about $250 per day per person. That also includes a $50 elite OBC, a $200 FCC deposit, a $300 FCC OBC and a $250 Stock OBC. This does include all of our excursions - Wings Over Kauai, Patrick's, Hiro's, Manano Island and various lunches and dinners. We also had a Caribe balcony.

If I take away all the voluntary stuff and just make it bare minimum for the cruise, its about $11k or $180 per day per person.

For an inside cabin, you could be as low as $8k or $130 per day per person.

This is why we like cruising. Its actually very economical and very convenient for the places you can see, and far, far less nerve racking than a similar itinerary via land and air. Can you imagine just the travel time, airport headaches and packing time wasted on a non-cruise itinerary similar to this one?

We booked in May 2014.

I keep a detailed Cruise Evaluation Spreadsheet, a symptom of my OCPD, to trade off costs of cruises. This one was on the high side of my typical cruise selection, but since it was a one off unique cruise, cost wasn't that big a driver.

My bottom line, because of our dogs and heavy tipping, plus photos and the bar bill, came out to about $14k for the whole cruise. (I used FF miles for the airfare and HH points for the hotel.) That's about $250 per day per person. That also includes a $50 elite OBC, a $200 FCC deposit, a $300 FCC OBC and a $250 Stock OBC. This does include all of our excursions - Wings Over Kauai, Patrick's, Hiro's, Manano Island and various lunches and dinners. We also had a Caribe balcony.

If I take away all the voluntary stuff and just make it bare minimum for the cruise, its about $11k or $180 per day per person.

For an inside cabin, you could be as low as $8k or $130 per day per person.

This is why we like cruising. Its actually very economical and very convenient for the places you can see, and far, far less nerve racking than a similar itinerary via land and air. Can you imagine just the travel time, airport headaches and packing time wasted on a non-cruise itinerary similar to this one?

All of us ocd cruise planners really appreciate your sharing all the details!! Thank you:)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

It is coming along. I have the basics and animation, now have to import all into the editor and start really creating.

It will be more of a travel log, not a review. Sort of hit the highlights, but even that will be about 30 minutes long. Just trying to squeeze the animation in is 15 minutes.

So hopefully next week if I get to work on it all weekend...

It is coming along. I have the basics and animation, now have to import all into the editor and start really creating.

It will be more of a travel log, not a review. Sort of hit the highlights, but even that will be about 30 minutes long. Just trying to squeeze the animation in is 15 minutes.

So hopefully next week if I get to work on it all weekend...

Animation?!?:eek::cool:

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I love to report live from onboard, so those following my cruise can have information they'd like prior to sailing. But boy do you knock it out of the park. I really enjoy your format and content. Your summary review was just so well written and a pleasure to read. Ever think of being a travel blogger? Mark

I love to report live from onboard, so those following my cruise can have information they'd like prior to sailing. But boy do you knock it out of the park. I really enjoy your format and content. Your summary review was just so well written and a pleasure to read. Ever think of being a travel blogger? Mark

...that's the plan anyway...

First attempt at video is uploading to Google Drive now...

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, I will watch for the opening for the 2017 cruise in May. Maybe we will get to go this time! Hopefully we can use some of what we learned for this cruise, and that I can actually help.

Glad to hear your wife is doing better. David just finished his last chemo on Wednesday. We will let it work it's magic, then do testing at the end of the month.

Mike, I will watch for the opening for the 2017 cruise in May. Maybe we will get to go this time! Hopefully we can use some of what we learned for this cruise, and that I can actually help.

Glad to hear your wife is doing better. David just finished his last chemo on Wednesday. We will let it work it's magic, then do testing at the end of the month.

So glad to hear that David has finished the chemo and we wish him the very best and the Magic that you call for! Please keep us informed. Kristy, we will keep David and you in our prayers. Prayers can do wonders, as we all know.

As for the opening of the 2017 Edition, well we're not sure that we can wait until the middle of May! :eek:

It seems like our CC RC was started by Terri, aka GoVolsTB, late April. By the time the cruise opened for bookings on May 13th we already had 7 1/2 pages and 126 posts. Here is hoping that we will be able to have as successful a CC RC! ;) All it takes are a few excited and interested cruisers and quite a bit of effort!

Maybe we will have more cruisers from the 2015 Edition looking at booking the 2017 Edition!

Just Mike and Betty

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I'm sure this will get a lot of review when the 2017 Tahiti cruise opens for sale in a few months.

Waiting with baited breath for that to happen.

Most of my FCCs expire in February - any chance they'll announce by then?

(Otherwise it's call Princess and beg for an extension )

Waiting with baited breath for that to happen.

Most of my FCCs expire in February - any chance they'll announce by then?

(Otherwise it's call Princess and beg for an extension )

There has been discussion that Princess will extend, but I typically bounce them between cruises. You might want to talk to a TA, book a cruise with the ones about to expire, then transfer them to this cruise when it is announced.

That worked last year for me, but they might have caught on by now and eliminated the "loophole"...

Good Luck...

There has been discussion that Princess will extend, but I typically bounce them between cruises. You might want to talk to a TA, book a cruise with the ones about to expire, then transfer them to this cruise when it is announced.

That worked last year for me, but they might have caught on by now and eliminated the "loophole"...

Good Luck...

Thanks! Last night my husband gave me the ok to throw caution (and the budget) to the wind and book for the 2016 cruise!!! :D:D:D

Color me HAPPY!

I just hope there's a decent cabin left!

Edited by chamima