When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

Ridiculous. On BA and GA they have delicious burgers up at the grill. Will they start charging for those next? Whose going to pay $6.99 and $3.99 for a burger and fries and of course the 18% for your conveience fee. Absurd. I certainly won't be paying for this. Trust me I can afford the $15 but at this point it's the principal. I'll pass

Geri

I agree completely. And if I want to pay for chain restaurant food I'll just do it on land!

Can you also check for those that have the UDP and booked this cruise months and months ago if we're 'grandfathered' in and it will be 'no charge' for us??

Thanks!

Harriet

I will most certainly check that easily, as I booked back in February with the UDP promotion. I will say, though, if the UDP doesnt cover it, I probably wont go!

If his objective was to reduce the crowds, then problem solved!

I don't eat at Johnny Rockets on RCI and similarly will not eat at an extra fee Margaritaville on Escape. Bring back the Uptown / Flamingo grill.

exactly - and at least JR is a cover charge, at least it was when I sailed. 6.99 for a burger with NO fries, and a 18% cover charge? for a BURGER joint - if it was a Gordon Ramsay restaurant quality burger, yes. Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet, NO! I would much rather pay to eat at LeBistro, Teppanyaki, Moderno, Cagneys, EVEN La Cucina (and I really didn't like my food there)

If the objective was to reduce the crowds, he should have just made it a cover charge of less than 5.00 pp, not make a burger, fries, and dessert cost 15.00 pp plus gratuity.

and why the service charge? when it was complimentary, did the crew not get paid or something? I mean, I EXPECT and HOPE when I am eating in a free venue, my servers and staff are getting paid by my 13.50pp per day gratuity. Seriously now, this is all so ridiculous.

But the whole purpose was to reduce the crowds/wait times - so that seems really unlikely!

I agree it is unlikely. But a crowd reduction is likely to happen, even if included in UDP and SDP. Only those with UDP and unlimited visits would benefit. Anyone with a SDP would probably not waste a visit here. I certainly would not waste one of my 5 meals for a burger and fries.

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-adds-cover-charge-to-margaritaville/

This article state that guests were notified by email of the changes. I have NOT received any notification - have you?? :mad:

Did you book direct or with a TA?

If you booked through a TA, then the TA will be the one getting the email, not you.

What is the difference between the burger that costs $8.00 at Margaritaville and the included restaurants? I eat burgers all over the ship including the Haven and its the same burger. Is this charge just for the novelty for eating there?

I would gladly pay a charge for the coconut shrimp but this Margaritaville is not even a real Margaritaville based on the menu. One of the most popular features that they sell in the grocery stores is their coconut shrimp.

I was never excited about this venue being on a cruise ship. They are at all the tourist traps on land. Not sure why anyone wants to have them both in port and on the ship.

I hope someone reports back with a taste test and comparison LOL ;)

Edited by david_sobe

I thought Margaritaville "good" but not great. Good enough I'd have been willing pay a cover charge of $4.95-6.95 but definitely NOT good enough to pay the new a'la carte prices. I skipped Food Republic for the same reason. Had it been a flat fee venue I would have eaten there several times, but at the a'la carte pricing Levels it was more than I cared to spend.

I will most certainly check that easily, as I booked back in February with the UDP promotion. I will say, though, if the UDP doesnt cover it, I probably wont go!

Thank you. Please do report back what you find out.

Safe and Happy Cruising!

Harriet

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-adds-cover-charge-to-margaritaville/

This article state that guests were notified by email of the changes. I have NOT received any notification - have you?? :mad:

I received the following notifications:

1. CC saying they were thinking of charging a 'base' fee in the near future

2. CC saying it went a la carte

No e-mails or notification from NCL at all. But does this really surprise anyone????

And I DID book directly through NCL

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Ill be the first to propose that they take down the margaritaville sign and give us back an Uptown Grill option.

100% agree. I think Uptown grill burgers are better anyway. NCL completely bombed on this venue. Now they want to charge for a salad?? Go to the buffet, not the "Buffet" restaurant, and make one exactly to your own specifications. Ridiculous!! Now they put the rock wall back.

Well, looks like I'll be wasting away at the Garden Cafe.

Will the bar be accessible for walk up service? I'd still grab a specialty drink, assuming they're included in UBP. I hope that doesn't change - that was one of my go-to bar locations on the BA.

But a crowd reduction is likely to happen, even if included in UDP and SDP. Only those with UDP and unlimited visits would benefit. Anyone with a SDP would probably not waste a visit here.
Actually last week on the Epic they told us that the UDP is no longer unlimited visits, but only one restaurant per day. I don't know if they are telling the same story on Escape or other ships. And I don't know how they count à la carte places, hopefully they will give you the 25% discount but still let you have another fully included specialty meal on the same day.

What is the difference between the burger that costs $8.00 at Margaritaville and the included restaurants? I eat burgers all over the ship including the Haven and its the same burger. Is this charge just for the novelty for eating there?

I would gladly pay a charge for the coconut shrimp but this Margaritaville is not even a real Margaritaville based on the menu. One of the most popular features that they sell in the grocery stores is their coconut shrimp.

I was never excited about this venue being on a cruise ship. They are at all the tourist traps on land. Not sure why anyone wants to have them both in port and on the ship.

I hope someone reports back with a taste test and comparison LOL ;)

Trust me you are missing nothing. The burgers in Margaritaville are mediocre at best. They are actually better in the buffet IMO. I would never pay for one and never wait in line for one. On the ESCAPE crossing Margaritaville was no charge, but I still received a check that listed my food items with all the amounts zeroed out. I knew even then that the venue was geared to be a la carte pricing and it was only a matter of time. It took all of a couple cruises! I honestly think NCL had intentions of charging for this venue all along, but for initial PR reasons it sounded better to tout it as complimentary. Margaritaville was one of the very few disappointments with NORWEGIAN ESCAPE.

Best burgers at sea are Guy's on Carnival. They are so good I would actually pay for one, but thankfully there is no charge. Proof that a massive cruise ship can serve excellent burgers fresh and quickly, and complimentary at that!

Edited by eroller

Well here is the official answer....a la carte, effective tomorrow!

ry%3D400

Hey, not a problem,,,,

Anybody who is an Anybody, knows that NCL has been there since the beginning of cruising, the early 1970's.....These guys know how to "provide"....

If it's good, it's gonna sell!

No email at all. I booked directly with ncl

I received the following notifications:

1. CC saying they were thinking of charging a 'base' fee in the near future

2. CC saying it went a la carte

No e-mails or notification from NCL at all. But does this really surprise anyone????

And I DID book directly through NCL

Harriet

Hmmm...two different people both reporting the same thing. That could only mean one thing....

The article stating that all guests were notified by email is incorrect. Looks like whoever authored that article shouldn't be trusted to be a reliable source for accurate information.

Hey, not a problem,,,,

Anybody who is an Anybody, knows that NCL has been there since the beginning of cruising, the early 1970's.....These guys know how to "provide"....

If it's good, it's gonna sell!

Hmmm...two different people both reporting the same thing. That could only mean one thing....

The article stating that all guests were notified by email is incorrect. Looks like whoever authored that article shouldn't be trusted to be a reliable source for accurate information.

Posted while you were typing :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

So now a cheeseburger, fries, and a slice of key lime pie will cost $16.50 (with the 18% tip)? Uh, no. I'll pass.

Trust me you are missing nothing. The buffet actually has better burgers and you will save yourself $16.50. Sometimes the buffet even has curly fries which are a thousand times better than anything Margaritaville serves. Most of my food at Margaritaville arrived cold as well. Pass.

Actually last week on the Epic they told us that the UDP is no longer unlimited visits, but only one restaurant per day. I don't know if they are telling the same story on Escape or other ships. And I don't know how they count à la carte places, hopefully they will give you the 25% discount but still let you have another fully included specialty meal on the same day.

No. NCL does not get to change the Terms and Conditions of a package you have already purchased on a whim, or because they have decided it's better for THEM, before you have even had a chance to use it! I bought what I bought based on the terms and conditions as spelled out the day of purchase, and I expect that to be honored. If you want to let NCL get away with this, your decision. They will have a battle on their hands if they try this on my cruise.

Trust me you are missing nothing. The burgers in Margaritaville are mediocre at best. They are actually better in the buffet IMO. I would never pay for one and never wait in line for one. On the ESCAPE crossing Margaritaville was no charge, but I still received a check that listed my food items with all the amounts zeroed out. I knew even then that the venue was geared to be a la carte pricing and it was only a matter of time. It took all of a couple cruises! I honestly think NCL had intentions of charging for this venue all along, but for initial PR reasons it sounded better to tout it as complimentary. Margaritaville was one of the very few disappointments with NORWEGIAN ESCAPE.

The above boldly highlighted text makes me agree with you 100%. Sounds like it was indeed part of the plan all along.

I have no plans in my future of cruising on the Escape but I do feel bad for those that were looking forward to this venue. They will either have to scrap the idea entirely or go forward and visit the venue...at a price.

Four months before my next cruise and I wonder what changes they might be able to surprise me with before then.

As an added I thought I wonder if the change of this venue to a la carte means that there will be more swim suit clad people in indoor venues looking for food??

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I agree with all of the above. This is the one change that really disappoints me the most. Have been looking forward to this COMPLIMENTARY venue since I booked last February. I feel this was planned for a while but they needed an excuse to change from free to fee since so many cruises were sold based on this being free. I bet this was originally set up free under different management and when FDR took over and wanted to get his extra $50 pp this was added to his list for extra revenue. Just can't believe as soon as Escape hit the water talk of charging was discussed, if it had not been in the works for awhile. I don't normally eat at the land based Margaritavilles since none in Minnesota. As someone else said they could afford to to eat here but will not just for principle. Wonder if you can use your UBP for margaritas in Margaritaville? When I called NCL this morning the rep said it would be included in the UDP package, but why would you waste a day on this venue. Sounds like Margaritaville opened a location in Nassau. If you really need a fix visit their land restaurant when we visit Nassau. I suggest we all boycott Margaritaville. No crowds, no customers at all, and maybe they'd reverse their decision. Princess at one point started charging for Alfredos but after much uproar went back to a complimentary venue, a very popular place, too. NCL will not change its' ways until it affects their bottom line. We have the numbers to change this. Lets make it a ghost town. I really feel they've gone too far with changes. Bet we haven't heard the last regarding District Brew House either. Another gift from NCL to make for a better cruise experience, Right?