When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

For me, it's not the venue. It's the fact that it was listed as a complementary venue when I booked the cruise. It was listed as a complementary venue when I paid in full for the cruise. Now, when I go and cruise in January, it's a 'pay' venue.

For me, it's the fact that it was advertised one way then changed after the fact.

Things change, I get that. But when so many things change it can make one wonder what else will change? What else did I believe, think, advertised, etc. was included with my cruise cost that is no longer...or will be no longer.

For me, it's the trust I have in a company.

Yes, they absolutely have the right to change things. It says so in the contract. I agree to that contract. But morally, I have to wonder sometimes what is really 'right'.

Don't get me wrong. I love NCL. I always have a great time and am always treated well. I'm just not 'in love' with some of their practices which, even though the contract allows, I, at times, consider false advertisement and/or bait and switch.

Some may think how can I still cruise with them? I do so knowing what I'm getting into...what I may have today and may not have tomorrow. Until I no longer enjoy cruising with them, until they no longer treat me the way they have been, I'll continue to do so.

What I have done.....is started branching out and will be trying different lines.

Royal and Celebrity are already booked for the future.

Harriet

I completely understand your position and frustrations. And I appreciate your sincere response. Im not saying Im in agreement with advertising the venue as complimentary and then almost as soon as its launched to start charging for it (and substantially by cruise standards). I guess Im just a little surprised about the "attraction" of this venue. I truly don't see it. But it appears many took this place into grave consideration when booking their cruise. That's what was puzzling to me. Again, it may just be me :)

Branching out is always a good thing in my opinion anyway. Over the past few years I hadn't cruised, did some different types of trips for a change and now am wanting to go back to cruising for a bit. I was also looking at a Celebrity cruise that looks very appealing as well. Happy travels!

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-adds-cover-charge-to-margaritaville/

This article state that guests were notified by email of the changes. I have NOT received any notification - have you?? :mad:

The article said nothing like that!! The article said in an email, the following change was noted. Not an email to every guest. Where are you reading that?:confused:

The article said nothing like that!! The article said in an email, the following change was noted. Not an email to every guest. Where are you reading that?:confused:

Yikes - read several accounts, must have attached the wrong one. [emoji37] Will track back and see if I can find it again.

Best burgers at sea are Guy's on Carnival. They are so good I would actually pay for one, but thankfully there is no charge. Proof that a massive cruise ship can serve excellent burgers fresh and quickly, and complimentary at that!

I agree. I loved Guy's Burger Bar on Carnival. I think I had a burger each day and some days I had two. The burgers were exceptional and the fries were fantastic. I never had to wait more than a few minutes for a burger as well.

in regards to what he charges at his restaurants, that is CRAZY

I ate at BURGR, Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in Las Vegas, and one of his burgers was less than the fish and chips for 19.00, and honestly, I think Ramsay knows a little bit more about Burgers than Margaritaville hehe

Either way, the 6.99 plus service charge is too much considering you are technically paying for food on the ship, in addition to paying extra for the specialty venue, and then 13.50pp per day for the service charges that in part pay the other restaurant workers, and then an ADDITIONAL 18% in top of that - it becomes a REALLY expensive burger then

Well the burger on the ship will come to 8.25 with the 18%. In his land based it is $20.15 with tax. So there is a rather large discount by buying it on the ship. Only you can decide if you're interested. It is an option of course not mandatory.

Sounds like there are quite a few on here that are claiming to have only booked this cruise ship for Jimmy's place? If that's so, why not skip the cruise and use some of that money to go buy his $20 hamburger on land? Like all the other complaints, there is plenty of "free" food on board, same for "free" drinks and "free" entertainment. Why not take advantage of that and let the folks that want to buy an $8 hamburger go buy one?:confused:I like the earlier post that mentions that Kevin S. wanted this to be free, but the new management wants the money. Margaritaville and the cost/no cost was not even a glimmer in the eye of Kevin. He was long gone before this was decided. It's a specialty venue, NCL charges for specialty venues. And I'm sure everyone knows a percentage of every burger goes to Jimmy, not all for NCL?

Edited by rvsullivan

Well the burger on the ship will come to 8.25 with the 18%. In his land based it is $20.15 with tax. So there is a rather large discount by buying it on the ship.

That is absurd beyond belief. you don't pay $1K per person to enter Margaritaville on land:rolleyes:

Margaritaville on land didn't advertise it self as being complimentary for over a a year:rolleyes:

If the issue was being able to provide decent service they should have upped the staff and added hours.

They branded the former Uptown Grill as Margaritaville to have a name brand to attract people to the ship. Now they flip on the charges. Pure bait and switch.

Well the burger on the ship will come to 8.25 with the 18%. In his land based it is $20.15 with tax. So there is a rather large discount by buying it on the ship. Only you can decide if you're interested. It is an option of course not mandatory.

Sounds like there are quite a few on here that are claiming to have only booked this cruise ship for Jimmy's place? If that's so, why not skip the cruise and use some of that money to go buy his $20 hamburger on land? Like all the other complaints, there is plenty of "free" food on board, same for "free" drinks and "free" entertainment. Why not take advantage of that and let the folks that want to buy an $8 hamburger go buy one?:confused:I like the earlier post that mentions that Kevin S. wanted this to be free, but the new management wants the money. Margaritaville and the cost/no cost was not even a glimmer in the eye of Kevin. He was long gone before this was decided. It's a specialty venue, NCL charges for specialty venues. And I'm sure everyone knows a percentage of every burger goes to Jimmy, not all for NCL?

That's amazing information, why don't you share your sources for:

1) KS was long gone before this was decided - did he tell you this?

2) It's a specialty venue - even though NCL continually said it was complimentary

3) A percentage of every burger goes to Jimmy - a percentage of zero is zero - are you implying that Jimmy just signed a new contract? Wow, where did you see that?

I'll start! Here's the answer for #1 http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Escape-getting-Margaritaville-restaurant

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I'm not sure if it's fair to compare a margaritaville restaurant with what's on the Escape. I was in the Orlando restaurant MANY years ago, and back then you paid for the theming way more than the food. The food was the unfortunate consequence of the barely worthwhile theming.

From what I've seen, the Escape's version is an existing complimentary dining venue with a sign here or there to suggest that it's something different. Personally, the draw for any margaritaville experience has little to do with the actual food. For NCL to discard everything but the food, and then charge a surcharge for it, is truly laughable. I'm slightly embarrassed to be an NCL loyalist with this current decision.

Edited by TheDougOut
3 IPAs

As much as I saw this coming, per comments from the transatlantic and first sailings from Miami cruisers, it is still most annoying. The only saving grace for me is, that I have eaten at Margaritavilles, and the food was just average, IMO, and I would never even consider paying for it on a ship. It just means one less non extra charge dining place on Escape. For several reasons though, not just Margaritaville, I am beginning to regret not keeping my original booking on Getaway.

So, many posters seem to think there is not enough to entice them to pay for this venue. Free, it was perhaps viewed as a decent place to grab a bite or a drink. It seems the consensus is that its fair to middling food sans ambience of the "real thing". So now that its a la carte, (and for a family, it could become an expensive lunch quite quickly), just how successful will it really be? Those long lines people spoke of may disappear to the point of a non revenue generating location. And that wont make anyone happy!

I wonder how long the a la carte pricing can last. Not to mention of course the severe backlash this has created.

Sorry ... we were probably part of the problem.

We sailed on 11/14 and went to Mville on the first sea day. We waited about 20 minutes in line before it opened at noon. We had a great lunch and no bill except for my cocktail and DW's soda. Liked it so much we went back on another day when it opened at 1130 - arrived 30 minutes early to be in the first seating.

If there was a charge, then we would definitely not have gone the second time.

Sorry ... the 70/30 burgers were good.

The only saving grace for me is, that I have eaten at Margaritavilles, and the food was just average, IMO, and I would never even consider paying for it on a ship. It just means one less non extra charge dining place on Escape. For several reasons though, not just Margaritaville, I am beginning to regret not keeping my original booking on Getaway.

COMPLETELY AGREE 100%!!

Having never sailed on her, the Escape still has a slight edge for me with the District Brew House and the new shows. But man, I'm really bummed we've lost the outside dining venue.

I'm sailing on the escape tommorow and will not be paying for this restaurant.

Maybe food republic,but this is wrong ncl.

Will there be waits,probably not.will I be buying a future cruise reward,probably not.

Edited by Tedj6050

Argh. I really loved Flamingo Grill on Getaway. Can't get decent Cuban food in my region. I suppose that won't be long for this world.

I've never understood themed or celebrity restaurants. The food is always mediocre. I say this as a former Orlando resident.

I'm sailing on the escape tommorow and will not be paying for this restaurant.

Maybe food republic,but this is wrong ncl.

Will there be waits,probably not.will I be buying a future cruise reward,probably not.

Please let us know if the restaurant is busy or not, as it will be interesting to know if the a la carte pricing is accepted or not.

These prices are higher than Food Republic. Seriously!? Although we truly enjoyed Margaritaville and enjoyed it several times, it's not even close to being on the same level as Food Republic. Heck, they are charging for the pretzel sticks which are the same ones everyone raves about in the buffet. This is stupid. The prices are way too high. I'd have paid a $5 cover, but not this.

Also, this means that despite there being more passengers than Getaway and Breakaway, there are less complimentary options. Stupid.

We agree! Imagine that :) It's been happening a lot lately.

Harriet

I completely understand your position and frustrations. And I appreciate your sincere response. Im not saying Im in agreement with advertising the venue as complimentary and then almost as soon as its launched to start charging for it (and substantially by cruise standards). I guess Im just a little surprised about the "attraction" of this venue. I truly don't see it. But it appears many took this place into grave consideration when booking their cruise. That's what was puzzling to me. Again, it may just be me :)

Branching out is always a good thing in my opinion anyway. Over the past few years I hadn't cruised, did some different types of trips for a change and now am wanting to go back to cruising for a bit. I was also looking at a Celebrity cruise that looks very appealing as well. Happy travels!

Thanks for understanding! I *never* took into consideration when I booked this cruise this restaurant or any other. I booked simply because it was a new ship I haven't sailed on.

However, the fact still remains.......I paid for ABC and now am only getting A & B for the same money I was getting AB and C. I could care less, specifically about this venue. More so, it's the fact of what they did and how they did it.

The 'reason' as I understand it is because it's so popular that there is a long wait time. However, as I've also been told there are many empty tables not being used simply because they don't have the proper staff either in the kitchen or on the floor. So, in order to CUT DOWN on the people going there they are charging. That, in and of itself, proves that they KNOW that people won't go there because it's a pay venue now. ::shaking head:: makes no sense to me.

Harriet

The 'reason' as I understand it is because it's so popular that there is a long wait time. However, as I've also been told there are many empty tables not being used simply because they don't have the proper staff either in the kitchen or on the floor. So, in order to CUT DOWN on the people going there they are charging. That, in and of itself, proves that they KNOW that people won't go there because it's a pay venue now. ::shaking head:: makes no sense to me.

Harriet

Exactly - and it's one thing to charge for it to cut down on popularity, but why the 18% gratuity as well? I think even just a simple 5.00 cover pp would have cut down on people going.

Other solutions, like you said

-More people in kitchen

-More Servers

-Simplified Menu for Kitchen Staff

Please let us know if the restaurant is busy or not, as it will be interesting to know if the a la carte pricing is accepted or not.

I will let you all know if people are willing to pay for this, or not when we get to st.thomas.

Edited by Tedj6050