"Aging down" for autistic teen on RCI?

batt01

I am traveling with a 15 year old daughter who has autism. I chose RCI because I had read that they allow kids with autism to adjust their Ocean Adventure group depending on their needs. This is huge for us. I have spoken with RCI special needs representative who reiterated that she will be able to "age down". However, I just came across something on the RCI website for autism that has me worried they will not do this for a15 year-old. This is not what i have heard or was verbally told; but the person i spoke with that told me she would be fully taken care of never asked her age and might have assumed she was a child and not a teen. Now im a little worried. (Not that we plan on putting her in OA very often, but my husband and I have a few avtivities planned on our sea days that we can not do together unless she is supervised.) Our daughter would likely be happiest where a 8-10 year old would be. She loves to play on computers/wii, color and play with figurines (If they still have Little People toy she would be thrilled.) She is extremely easy to manage and prefers to be by herself playing quietly. There is no way she would enjoy or be safe in the minimally-supervised teen areas.

Can anyone tell me if there is going to be a problem aging her down when we get there? I'm afraid to call and confirm and get the answer that they only do this under age 11. We will adjust accordingly, of course, but I would love to know of any experiences out there.

if the younger age group is full she will NOT be permitted to join that group.

but it is highly unlikely that she will be permitted to join the pre teen group regardless.

unless you are on a sponsored Autism at Sea cruise they are not as flexible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you considered taking along another person to stay with your child while you are off the ship? Since she is 15, she will likely be with the 15 to 17 yr olds. Perhaps you know a responsible 17 yr old that would be in the same age group, but could stay with her and sit alongside your daughter while she colors and plays on an iPad or device?

Alternately, take along a trusted adult (perhaps in an interior room) to stay on board in your room while you are off the ship.