SHARE: Are you ready for a $49 cover charge?

rbt001

Reading all the comments ,I will say just getting off the Crown,we did not do the specialty restaurants. They were always advertising the Crown,made us wonder if it was not crowded and no reservations necessary. The Mdw does not always have wonderful food, but like was said , are the meals different to steer you to the specialty restaurants. Never cleaned my plate at nights,as the meats were tough or never cooked enough to make it tender,or the lamb trying 3 times was a wash out for me. My favorite thing usually on a cruise,this never taste like lamb. I did get enough,but would not pay the 98.00 for the two of us.

While I am not prepared to say that the small sample size represented in this thread portends doom for the $49 fee, I am prepared to say that the price hike at the Chef's Table is in no way indicative of what will happen with Share.

What I was trying to say was that big whining on cruise critic

did not affect what price passengers would actually pay.

True then.

Probably true now.

People here want to cruise for free, and then cash out

a shipboard credit to take home.

Since Princess does read these boards, this gives them another data point in their evaluation. Basically, if Princess advertises on this website, and they do, they believe their advertisement can influence - and its logical to assume that posts can also influence, so whether they like the answer or not, they will take these comments into consideration.

I was not aware that Celebrity charges so much for specialty restaurants. (I guess I have to get out more.) What really concerns me is the price point and its affect on other prices on the ship's specialty events. For example, Stone is redoing the Chef's Table menu. How likely is that price to stay at $95 PP? The Gastropub concept costs $19 PP, but the portion size was pretty small and we did not care for the food. On the other hand Crab Shack is great at $20 and a lot of fun. The Sushi menu on the Diamond is not exactly bargain rate either, but then not as much as high end Sushi restaurants in the states.

I think people are willing to pay more for a different menu, great atmosphere and excellent service - that really is different from the MDR. That's why we liked Chef's table at the $75 price point, the UBD at $50 PP, Crown at $25 PP and Crab Shack at $20. But it has to shine in some form or fashion and be unique and/or over the top. A simple rebranding of Sabatini's with a celebrity chef's name, menu and decore just isn't exciting to me.

Now a Singapore style Hawker Center or a Moroccan style sit down or an Indian street food scene or a Mongolian BBQ or a Szechuan Chinese buffet - now that would be different and exciting.

No way!! I don't mind paying $25 pp for Crown Grille because I feel the meals I get there are definitely worth more if I were to have them in a regular restaurant.

But if I am going to be charged $50 pp to dine at Share, I would much rather spend $100 pp and do the Chef's Table. I feel that is a truly unique experience.

I am underwhelmed at the idea of a "celebrity chef" meal with a fat surcharge ..... UNLESS said celeb chef is preparing MY dinner with his/her own two little hands, and personally serving it to to me. If that's not the case, then all I am paying for is food prepared using some hot shot's recipe and served by a member of the Princess dining staff.

Edited by flamomo

People here want to cruise for free, and then cash out a shipboard credit to take home.

Word! :cool: LOL

Couldn't believe it when I saw someone ask how they could cash out their $100 OBC Veteran's Credit for cash. I didn't even know that was possible. Mine will be spent within 15 minutes of stepping on board. :p

People here want to cruise for free, and then cash out

a shipboard credit to take home.

I hear what you're saying, but my recent cruise on the REGAL wasn't free. I spent $100 on the UBD; we went to both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's; took a shore excursion in Aruba; spent over $100 in the gift shop and on photos, and we had a slew of drinks.

I have no problem spending money on board. My not being willing to spend $50 per person on SHARE is based solely on the fact that I won't pay nearly double because a celebrity chef's name is attached to it.

-Russ

What I was trying to say was that big whining on cruise critic

did not affect what price passengers would actually pay.

True then.

Probably true now.

I understood that. And what I was saying is that the whining didn't affect the price because the Chef's Table is on the far, far, far end of the supply/demand curve. There are only 8-10 seats per cruise. Princess could charge $200 per person and still fill those slots. But trying to do 700+ covers per cruise at a specialty restaurant is an entirely different dynamic.

I was not aware that Celebrity charges so much for specialty restaurants. (I guess I have to get out more.)

What concerns me is the "we have to charge what the other cruise lines charge" mentality. I was aware that X charged that much for some of its Specialty Restaurants....and that is one of the reasons why I choose Princess over X. It troubles me that corporate execs don't fully appreciate that certain differences in the lines are what draw people to their product. But what I see lately from Princess is: "Other lines are building ships without Promenades, so we should too." "Other lines are charging $50 for Specialty Restaurants, so we should too." "Other lines are building tiny balconies, so we should too." The "we should too" attitude is beginning to remove all of the unique niceties that made it so easy to choose Princess over its competitors.

But what I see lately from Princess is: "Other lines are building ships without Promenades, so we should too." "Other lines are charging $50 for Specialty Restaurants, so we should too." "Other lines are building tiny balconies, so we should too." The "we should too" attitude is beginning to remove all of the unique niceties that made it so easy to choose Princess over its competitors.

Exactly.

We usually eat at a speciality restaurant 2-3 times depending on the length of the cruise. We would try Share at least once.

I'm with you.

I'll certainly try it once and if it is a great memorable meal then it will have been worth it and we'll eat there again. I'll still fit in a Crown Grill meal as that is such a great deal you could never get on land.

I'm sailing Celebrity in 43 days and although we'll have a free Suites-Only restaurant and one free Specialty restaurant dinner which we'll have in Tuscan Grill with an aft view, I forsee us trying at least two more (Murano and Lawn Club grill) and those are in the Share price range.

With 300 OBC X will be paying for the dinners anyway. From all I have read they discount the Specialty restaurants on a daily basis to attract more customers who feel the prices are too steep.

I feel cruising is such good value that it encourages me to splurge when on board to get the best experience possible.

But we're all different....

Norris

Word! :cool: LOL

Couldn't believe it when I saw someone ask how they could cash out their $100 OBC Veteran's Credit for cash. I didn't even know that was possible. Mine will be spent within 15 minutes of stepping on board. :p

!5 minutes ! really, that long LOL;)

I think one problem is Sabatini's is not a seller IMHO. My two Princess cruises this year Sabatini's was a ghost town at night. I think part of the problem is the aesthetic. It's like dinner in a funeral parlor. I am not sure that assetic attracts a new generation Princess has to attract to remain in business and fill a restaurant. Also there are lot of assumptions such as no tables for two, small portions etc. I have been to many tapas joints and never left hungry. If one looks at the Share concept pictures on Instagram there are plenty of tables for two as well as long 'shared' tables. This is pretty consistent of what one finds in trending restaurants today. I suspect part of the problem is that an older generation may not be used to eating at a tapas type restaurant.

If Share brings in $1 more than an empty Sabatini's it will be a success.

Edited by MrMan

But Celebrity has to offer "half off" specials very often to fill their restaurants.

We've enjoyed Sabatinis in the past but at $49/pp those days are probably over. I'd rather spend that $100 on a good bottle of wine with dinner in the MDR.

not too often just on first night on your cruise. maybe more often for some VIP members .

What concerns me is the "we have to charge what the other cruise lines charge" mentality. I was aware that X charged that much for some of its Specialty Restaurants....and that is one of the reasons why I choose Princess over X. It troubles me that corporate execs don't fully appreciate that certain differences in the lines are what draw people to their product. But what I see lately from Princess is: "Other lines are building ships without Promenades, so we should too." "Other lines are charging $50 for Specialty Restaurants, so we should too." "Other lines are building tiny balconies, so we should too." The "we should too" attitude is beginning to remove all of the unique niceties that made it so easy to choose Princess over its competitors.

What he said !!

Good take

Srpilo

Imho cruising is not about the food, but rather the chance to get away, relax, visit new or familiar countries, ports and cultures.

You cannot prepare food for 2000-4000 guests or more and expect to serve world class cuisine. If you choose to disagree with me that's your right but I'd be willing to wager that you have never eaten in a 3 or 4 star Michelin restaurant. The food on ships sometimes is quite good but more often than not just adequate. But as I say that is not why we cruise.

We do visit "specialty" restaurants on board periodically, however for a $49pp cover charge the experience would have to be far in excess of what I believe it would be.

I'm not sure, but

After looking at fine dining prices at good restaurants for 7 courses on Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve, this may be a bargain

Well, sure if you compare it to special event dinners. Those get a premium where they inflate the prices because they can. But this is an every day dinner AND you already paid for your dinner in the MDR. This is extra. Oh, and you only get three courses.

Since Princess does read these boards, this gives them another data point in their evaluation. Basically, if Princess advertises on this website, and they do, they believe their advertisement can influence - and its logical to assume that posts can also influence, so whether they like the answer or not, they will take these comments into consideration.

I was not aware that Celebrity charges so much for specialty restaurants. (I guess I have to get out more.) What really concerns me is the price point and its affect on other prices on the ship's specialty events. For example, Stone is redoing the Chef's Table menu. How likely is that price to stay at $95 PP? The Gastropub concept costs $19 PP, but the portion size was pretty small and we did not care for the food. On the other hand Crab Shack is great at $20 and a lot of fun. The Sushi menu on the Diamond is not exactly bargain rate either, but then not as much as high end Sushi restaurants in the states.

I think people are willing to pay more for a different menu, great atmosphere and excellent service - that really is different from the MDR. That's why we liked Chef's table at the $75 price point, the UBD at $50 PP, Crown at $25 PP and Crab Shack at $20. But it has to shine in some form or fashion and be unique and/or over the top. A simple rebranding of Sabatini's with a celebrity chef's name, menu and decore just isn't exciting to me.

Now a Singapore style Hawker Center or a Moroccan style sit down or an Indian street food scene or a Mongolian BBQ or a Szechuan Chinese buffet - now that would be different and exciting.

We like specialty restaurants but won't be trying this one. Aside from the cost we are not excited about communal dining. We get that at Horizon Court.

Let's be realistic...this is the "creep"...the beginning of increased prices for ALL premium dining venues. It has to start somewhere and SHARE and GASTROPUB are new, so Princess will start there and then move onto Chef's Table, UBD, Crown Grill, etc.

I feel sure there was same reaction when premium dining for a fee/surcharge was first introduced...no one claim to be interested in spending one extra cent when they already have their meals included in their fares.

Basically, its all a marketing strategy...

In answer to the OP we go to Sabitini's at least once every cruise and love it. We tried the CG and did not like it as neither of us are red meat aficionados. We tried the crab shack once and were not moved by it but it was not too bad. It may be a while (long?) before we try the gastopub. We don't have any interest in the pub lunch after trying it several times. We will miss Sabitini's and seriously doubt we will be shelling out $49 PP for its replacement if that is what the charge will be. Our 10 cents worth.

Imho cruising is not about the food, but rather the chance to get away, relax, visit new or familiar countries, ports and cultures.

You cannot prepare food for 2000-4000 guests or more and expect to serve world class cuisine. If you choose to disagree with me that's your right but I'd be willing to wager that you have never eaten in a 3 or 4 star Michelin restaurant. The food on ships sometimes is quite good but more often than not just adequate. But as I say that is not why we cruise.

We do visit "specialty" restaurants on board periodically, however for a $49pp cover charge the experience would have to be far in excess of what I believe it would be.

Food is pretty high on our list to cruise.

Michelin Stars are capped at three. I've eaten at 1 and 2 star Michelin starred restaurants and price isn't always a factor. I've been disappointed in a 2 star, and thought some 1 stars were better. It all comes down to what the individual reviewer enjoys, even if that is you.

Supply and demand, as opposed to corporate greed, will dictate the prices in the specialty restaurants. Because of the lack of available reservations in the Crown on our last two cruises, it indicates a need to increase the price.

This is just my opinion and my two cents.

To answer the question, we would try Share at the established price and then decide if we will be repeat customers. Time, supply and demand will ultimately establish the price.

Paul