Jewel vs Adventure

Looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise - 7 night, comparable price/ports, one is on Jewel of the Seas, one on the Adventure of the Seas.

Any comments on the ships to help me decide between the 2?

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with either. Jewel is smaller, less passengers, more glass to see outside. Adventure has inside Royal Promenade.

Can't go wrong with either. Jewel is smaller, less passengers, more glass to see outside. Adventure has inside Royal Promenade.

That about sums it up:) We've sailed on both. Have Adventure booked for next year and Jewel in 17' so I guess we like both:D

If I had to choose I'd take Adventure for the Royal Promenade, it's just a nice area to hang out, take a stroll, and see the events there.

Oh Adventure does have the ice skating rink too.

Looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise - 7 night, comparable price/ports, one is on Jewel of the Seas, one on the Adventure of the Seas.

Thanks!

Kids or no kids???

Been on both and Adventure has more things for them.

No kids - usually just me (40) and my mom (75).

Unless I actually manage to find someone on those terrible internet dating sites that I like enough to travel with! LOL :(

I agree Adventure probably has more for kids (I've been on the similar Voyager and Navigator) But for me and my wife I would pick the one that had the ports I am interested in the week I want to cruise. In 2014 that was Jewel, in 2017 that will be Adventure.

We had the same dilemma and like previously suggested we took the one that fit our time frame and preferred ports(more that we hadn't been to or not for alot longer time). That became Jewel in February. Haven't done a 'small' ship so wanted to try that too. Guess will let you know.

No kids - usually just me (40) and my mom (75).

Unless I actually manage to find someone on those terrible internet dating sites that I like enough to travel with! LOL :(

My guess would be you and your Mom will really enjoy the southern ports to explore more then the ice rink and BB court!! ;) Either ship is great but Jewell has way more windows to see the outside world where Adventure has more on board activities for kids.

Hey you never know who you may meet on a cruise!! :D

I would choose Jewel since we enjoy listening to live music in the evening. The Adventure since it leaves from San Juan skews toward a lot of Latin music which is totally understandable since many of the passengers will be Puerto Rican. It is just not my favorite music genre. I am not crazy about the Promenade either. The Jewel offers more sea view vistas which we prefer. That being said, I am sure you and your mom would have a good time on either. :)

Have been on both. Adventure was my FAVORITE SHIP EVER...until I cruised on Serenade, the sister of Jewel. I chose Serenade for the itinerary, expecting to feel a little let down by the ship. I was completely wrong.

I still love both ships, but prefer the Jewel. You'll see I'm sailing on her again next month! Here's my two cents (which may be worth significantly less than that!)

ADVENTURE:

• Has the ice rink which allows you the opportunity to ice skate at sea (kind of cool, actually) and features a great ice show.
  • Features the Royal Promenade, which is an area which resembles a pedestrian street with shops, restaurants and an English-style pub. It's kind of a cool hang out, but it is entirely INDOORS with no visibility to the ocean. (Hence some cruiser's description of it feeling too "mall-like")
  • I believe there are a couple of parades on the Royal Promenade which I've enjoyed.
  • Has a much larger main pool than does the Jewel.
  • Has an open adult pool area.

JEWEL:

• No ice rink or Royal Promenade, as the vessel is designed to draw the passengers' focus outside, to the sea. LOTS of glass with ocean views from practically EVERYWHERE on the ship. (Including the elevators!)
  • Outdoor seating is available at the Windjammer Buffet, which is an enormously big deal to me. I LOVE eating breakfast outside and watching the ship pull into that day's port of call. It's not the same sitting indoors, even by a large window.
  • The adult pool area has a retractable clear roof, which is more often than not, closed. Some people don't like that as it negatively impacts their tanning ability, but I love it. It's a really gorgeous area and entirely climate controlled.
  • The main pool is very small. If you like to swim on the ship, you may find the pool disappointing.
  • I've personally found the service on the smaller ships to be superior.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with either choice. I've loved both my Radiance Class and Voyager Class cruises.

We have been on both ships and have cruises booked on both again.

The big negative on the Adventure for us (and it is a BIG negative in our opinion) is that the balconies do not have the see through view to the water like every other ship we have cruised on. The Adventure has a painted metal wall so you cannot see the water unless you are standing at the rail. Similar to Carnival's cove balconies. I enjoy my morning coffee on the balcony watching as the ship pulls into port and a glass of wine when we leave in the evening. Unfortunately, all you can see from your balcony chair is sky and a white wall. :(

We like the Promenade on the Adventure vs the Centrum Shops on the Jewel. Since we don't go on a cruise to the southern Caribbean to ice skate, the ice rink holds little value to us. Menus are identical in the MDR and food/service is comparable.

We chose the Adventure in January, 2016 for the itinerary alone. Otherwise we would have gone with the Jewel.

We have been on both ships and have cruises booked on both again.

The big negative on the Adventure for us (and it is a BIG negative in our opinion) is that the balconies do not have the see through view to the water like every other ship we have cruised on. The Adventure has a painted metal wall so you cannot see the water unless you are standing at the rail. Similar to Carnival's cove balconies. I enjoy my morning coffee on the balcony watching as the ship pulls into port and a glass of wine when we leave in the evening. Unfortunately, all you can see from your balcony chair is sky and a white wall. :(

We like the Promenade on the Adventure vs the Centrum Shops on the Jewel. Since we don't go on a cruise to the southern Caribbean to ice skate, the ice rink holds little value to us. Menus are identical in the MDR and food/service is comparable.

We chose the Adventure in January, 2016 for the itinerary alone. Otherwise we would have gone with the Jewel.

I agree!! We have sailed on both and the balconies were such a negative for me that I have exclusively booked on the Serenade, Brilliance or Jewel out of San Juan. There were things that we preferred on the Adventure; i.e.,the pool area, the Promenade Cafe and the cigar lounge (DH) but not enough to make up for the balcony.

OP...as others have mentioned can't go wrong with either ship. We've Cruised on both and like them both. Whatever itinerary and ship you choose do the other ship and itinerary the next time you Cruise. Also consider doing B2B Cruises. That's what we do.

Edited by davekathy

I would choose Jewel since we enjoy listening to live music in the evening. The Adventure since it leaves from San Juan skews toward a lot of Latin music which is totally understandable since many of the passengers will be Puerto Rican. It is just not my favorite music genre. I am not crazy about the Promenade either. The Jewel offers more sea view vistas which we prefer. That being said, I am sure you and your mom would have a good time on either. :)

Interesting discussion: We sailed Freedom of the Seas (about the same size as Adventure of the Seas) out of Port Canaveral in October and just got off Jewel of the Seas last Sunday Nov 29th in San Juan. Let me start by saying that Jewel is our favorite RCCL ship because of its size and elegant design. We chose this itinerary because we had never sailed out of San Juan before and wanted to spend some time in the city.

However, I certainly agree that Royal not only adds more Latin music on ships out of San Juan, they also turn the volume up “A LOT”. I’M NOT YELLING FOR EMPHASIS, I’M YELLING BECAUSE MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING. In fact we couldn't wait to get off the ship to find a quiet hotel and beach in San Juan. Which isn't hard because their is no hotel or beach as loud as the ship.

What we usually like about the Jewel is that a person can find a quiet place somewhere on the ship to relax. Not on this cruise. Music is played from the centrum most of the day, so all the rooms near the elevators are treated with the music all day until 12:00 am. Not all music on the ship was Latin, but it seemed the volume of all the music was raised. Our kids said they had rooms near the elevators and they couldn’t get to sleep until around midnight.

While we enjoyed our stay in San Juan and enjoyed friendly Porto Rican people very much, the volume of the entertainment on the ship will likely prevent us from cruising out of that port again. And it’s not just RCCL, we met our kids for dinner in Old San Juan and we were surprised to find that the loud music entertaining much of Old San Juan was coming from the Carnival Cruise deck. It was even louder than RCCL. Boy that was close, we almost chose Carnival for the itinerary. Most of the Porto Rican passengers on our cruise were families, is that really the entertainment they desire on a cruise?

Burt

You do realize the Jewel also leaves out of San Juan.

Edited by davekathy

I agree!! We have sailed on both and the balconies were such a negative for me that I have exclusively booked on the Serenade, Brilliance or Jewel out of San Juan. There were things that we preferred on the Adventure; i.e.,the pool area, the Promenade Cafe and the cigar lounge (DH) but not enough to make up for the balcony.

Is that balcony configuration just for Adventure or all Voyager class?

Thanks!

Cannot comment on price and ports (don't know enough); but we have sailed on both classes of ships and Adventure itself (several times). Both classes are completely lovely, and we are travelling on Independence this year and Jewel (both ships within class for the first time). Very excited about both. We completely adore Radiance class (Jewel) and very much adore Freedom(? is that the right class name?) (Adventure/Independence similar class); reasons: love the solarium in Radiance class, the centrium in Radiance class, and the wonderful lounges in Radiance class; very much like everything that Freedom class offers; but on balance if given a choice, with identical pricing and itinerary, we would choose Radiance class, whichever you choose, you will have a wonderful time for sure.

We love both ships. We choose between the two based upon ports for the dates we are booking! As a matter of fac, at this very moment I am on JW balcony looking out at Adventure. Both ships were in St Lucia today!

Do you prefer Saturday or Sunday departure/return?

Do you like the ice skating/ice shows?

What dates are you looking at?(before or after refurb)?

If before, then JW has two specialty restaurants whereas Ad only has one. If after rehab, then AD will have more specialty dining to choose, etc.