Recent Vision cruise

ksuds

I don't typically do full reviews. But I would like to share a few things we experienced during our Thanksgiving cruise (9 nights).

Arrival to port- upon arrival at 10:30, the Tampa police were not very nice. They told us we had to leave and come back at 11:30. So we got dropped off about a block away and brought our luggage over. We were checked in and boarded the ship by 10:50. I was a little disturbed that he wouldn't let us exit our vehicle that was driving us. But at 11:30, I did see the same officer was the first one on the ship hitting his free buffet.

Once on the ship, we grabbed a table for the 6 of us and enjoyed the nice weather by the pool. For several hours, the music playing by the pool was your basic easy listening instrumental (elevator music). I was nearly falling asleep. That pretty much stayed on until the live poolside music started.

Our stateroom- we had one of the Royal Family Suites. The room was very nice for an older ship. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large living room and an extremely small balcony. When I say small, I mean small! It was smaller than the standard balcony room size. I think we were the only suite that our stateroom attendant had. He really didn't do anything special or different. We actually thought he was on the slower side getting our room made up for the day even though we were always out by 7:00 or 8:00 am and had the make up room sign in the door. Also, we had to request lotion, hand soap and towels because he forgot to place them in our room on day one.

We didn't eat in the dining room for any dinners except the one night we were invited to eat at Capt. Marek's table. The dinner and his company was exceptional. The other nights, the menu really didn't look appealing. We were on the Freedom in September and none of the menu's seemed the same.

Three of the nights we ate at Giovanni's. Staff was great! However, were disappointed that on our first and last night we were told we couldn't order certain things off the menu. Gnocci, Shrimp, Crepes were some of the items. The lamb chops were extremely small, but still tasty.

Breakfast- most of our days we took advantage of the suite breakfast. I can honestly say that that was the best meal we had each day. They even offered a NY strip steak daily.

Entertainment- I am not a production show person, but did attempt to watch it. I lasted about 10 minutes. But the magician/comedian was really good. He involved several passengers and put on a good show. Schooner had a good piano guy. Not a lot of people hung out there unless trivia or football was on. The centrum music wasn't my thing. I compare everyone to the Enchantment. This group didn't even compare. They were nice to listen to, but you couldn't dance unless you wanted to "couples" dance.

Overall the entertainment was really geared toward an older crowd. It seems that with the longer cruises, it will stay a little calmer.

The Captain, officers and staff are all very good on this ship. Most of them recognized and greeted us by name daily. The ship overall was in good shape and clean. Talking to a lot of guests during the sailing, they had most of the same "opinions" as myself. But those people were all within my age bracket. I wouldn't recommend going with younger children and the kids that we had run into were extremely bored.

If given the option, I personally wouldn't do this sailing again even though I like the ship and all the staff. It just didn't offer what I am typically used to on RCI.

Thanks for the brief review.

Just about everything you write sounds really nice. I'm not sure what about all of it cause you to not want to take the same sort of cruise again?

"Arrival to port- upon arrival at 10:30, the Tampa police were not very nice. They told us we had to leave and come back at 11:30. So we got dropped off about a block away and brought our luggage over. We were checked in and boarded the ship by 10:50. I was a little disturbed that he wouldn't let us exit our vehicle that was driving us. But at 11:30, I did see the same officer was the first one on the ship hitting his free buffet."

I really don't understand this. Why did you encounter police? Why did you go against what the officer said, and get dropped off to walk back to the port area well before what you were told? And the same police officer was then on the cruise with you?

I wouldn't sail this again because everything was geared toward an older crowd. I don't prefer the older, easy listening music selection. The ship closed down very early each night and the disco was empty. It just wasn't my thing as I indicated.

The police were at the port directing traffic. The reason I didn't listen to him and go home and get another Uber an hour later was because I knew we could board at the time we did. If you knew the ship was boarding would you turn around and go home just because someone directing traffic told you?

No he wasn't sailing on our ship. He came on to get free lunch, which most security do.

We were 2 of the "older crowd" and found Vision to be perfect for us. service was excellent in the cabin we had, (Jr Suite on deck 8), as well as in the specialty dining rooms where we ate most of our dinners.

The Diamond Lounge was usually very crowded at cocktail time, but Schooners was handy for a pre-dinner drink.

We only attended 2 shows and they were so so.

We liked the ship so much that we have another cruise booked on her for next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Our stateroom- we had one of the Royal Family Suites. The room was very nice for an older ship. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large living room and an extremely small balcony. When I say small, I mean small! It was smaller than the standard balcony room size. I think we were the only suite that our stateroom attendant had. He really didn't do anything special or different. We actually thought he was on the slower side getting our room made up for the day even though we were always out by 7:00 or 8:00 am and had the make up room sign in the door. Also, we had to request lotion, hand soap and towels because he forgot to place them in our room on day one.

Can I ask what cabin # you had? We are in a Royal Family Suite (8520) for the 9 night sailing in January. Would love to see any pictures!

Breakfast- most of our days we took advantage of the suite breakfast. I can honestly say that that was the best meal we had each day. They even offered a NY strip steak daily.

Was this room service? Or a separate menu offered in the restaurants?

Thanks

Laurie

Thanks for the brief review.

Just about everything you write sounds really nice. I'm not sure what about all of it cause you to not want to take the same sort of cruise again?

"Arrival to port- upon arrival at 10:30, the Tampa police were not very nice. They told us we had to leave and come back at 11:30. So we got dropped off about a block away and brought our luggage over. We were checked in and boarded the ship by 10:50. I was a little disturbed that he wouldn't let us exit our vehicle that was driving us. But at 11:30, I did see the same officer was the first one on the ship hitting his free buffet."

I really don't understand this. Why did you encounter police? Why did you go against what the officer said, and get dropped off to walk back to the port area well before what you were told? And the same police officer was then on the cruise with you?

You're misunderstanding what the op posted. We were on Vision Nov 30-Dec 10 and the police tell everyone to come back to drop off people and luggage at 1130. They are there to direct traffic. We parked in the garage and walked our luggage over and were onboard by 11:00. The police only tell people that because they're trying to get those departing the ship out of the port area. There are also lots of cabs and vehicles picking up people and there flat out just isn't enough room at that point to drop off and pick up. There's no rule against arriving early, but you can't go through the pull through area to drop off.

Edited by BND