norwegian star, first time cruise ever

meggersuit

Hello! I've never been on a cruise, heck I've never been out of the states, and i feel as if I am over my head. My sister gave us a cruise to honduras, Belize, and two stops in Mexico. i understand the excursions, but my main question is, what if we don't want to plan an excursion, can we just walk onto the beaches? I guess if someone took a similar cruise, if they could help out with any information or tips!!! Thank you in advance!

megan

Hello! I've never been on a cruise, heck I've never been out of the states, and i feel as if I am over my head. My sister gave us a cruise to honduras, Belize, and two stops in Mexico. i understand the excursions, but my main question is, what if we don't want to plan an excursion, can we just walk onto the beaches? I guess if someone took a similar cruise, if they could help out with any information or tips!!! Thank you in advance!

megan

Go to the ports of call on front page, scroll down to find it then look for Carribean click on it and look for your ports. For Mexico ports click on Mexican Rivera in ports of call section then scroll down to the ports your looking for. You'll find a wealth of info, questions and answers.

Go to the ports of call on front page, scroll down to find it then look for Carribean click on it and look for your ports. For Mexico ports click on Mexican Rivera in ports of call section then scroll down to the ports your looking for. You'll find a wealth of info, questions and answers.

No.

The Mexican Riviera is western Mexico... Baja California, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta. OP is not going there. OP will be going to Tampa, Florida; Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Mexico; Cozumel, Mexico. OP would want to visit the Caribbean Ports of Call boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Edited by triptolemus

megan

We have taken many cruises, but this will be our first time to those ports also. When is your cruise? Join the roll call for ideas from fellow passengers on your cruise

We have gotten a lot of information from the ports of call boards for each port, and trip advisor(great source of info).

Scan and search on the board here, and you will find a lot of info too. We booked two private tours_ Victor Bodden in Roatan, and Native choice in Costa Maya. I believe in Cozumel and Costa Maya, getting to beach is just a short cab ride. We aren't interested in beach activities(although one tour has a stop at the beach) so that is something I didn't search - hopefully others will chime in too.

Relax and enjoy....cruises are the best

Safe sailing

megan

That's a pretty nice sister you have there. My sister usually gets me socks.

megan

In Costa Maya Mexico I highly suggest you go to "Maya Chan".......http://www.costamayabeachresort.com

Its Fantastic

In Roatan take an excursion to the "West End" The only place you can really walk to the beach is in Costa Maya,

Look here.......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Edited by Laszlo

In Costa Maya Mexico I highly suggest you go to "Maya Chan".......http://www.costamayabeachresort.com

Its Fantastic

In Roatan take an excursion to the "West End" The only place you can really walk to the beach is in Costa Maya,

Look here.......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Another vote for Maya Chan the mexican food is incredible as is the family who serves it and takes care of you.

There is are also NOT watered down and plentiful.

What a nice sister!!! I'm also going on the Star Western Caribbean Cruise - Feb 28.

Regarding DIY excursions, there really isn't any walkable beach options that I know of at these ports. The exception would be if your cruise goes to Harvest Caye instead of Belize City (but that's up for debate since the port isn't even open yet, so no one really knows).

The ports always have some sort of shopping area and restaurants if you don't want to book an excursion. Often times it is cheaper to book an excursion privately instead of through the ship but make sure you do your research and be mindful of time.

Costa Maya has an extremely crowded pool full of drunk adults in the middle of the port - I'd rather stay on the ship than swim in that thing....It's large, but if there are multiple ships in port, I definitely wouldn't plan on that. It's also very loud because it's right by Senor Frogs. The other option for an excursion right at the port in Costa Maya is swimming with dolphins.

Edited by PyrHeaven

We are on the Star sailing Jan 3.

I have scheduled the

ISLAND MARKETING LTD (CAYMAN)-Costa Maya Cruise Excursions EXCURSION: COSTA MAYA CHACCHOBEN MAYAN RUINS TOUR

Not on through the cruise line but I am confident that this is a good excursion

megan

I don't think anyone clearly answered your question. If you don't want to do an excursion you can simply get off the ship and walk around - if there are beaches at your ports, I have no idea. You aren't required to do a thing anywhere you go.

megan

As someone else also posted, you don't have to do excursions unless you want to. If you just want to go to a beach then do that. Be aware that some beaches you have to buy a drink or a meal to use chairs or umbrellas or palapas etc. to have some shade. You can enquire once you get to a beach about the costs involved.

Always make sure you know the time you have to be back on the ship and if there is any difference in the time zone you are in.

Lucky to have such a generous sister. Enjoy yourself.

megan

We have been to Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel at least 6+ times; Roatan 3 times.

What do you enjoy doing? That would help for CC members to suggest what you might want to do.

As far as walking around at the port, Roatan has a somewhat small shopping area but many other great things to do.

Costa Maya port is as described-large pool with too many people and touristy shops.

Belize is a tender port. You can stay within the gated port and there are some good restaurants and shopping.

I would book an excursion if I left the port area!

In Cozumel, you will dock and can walk the main shopping street-there are also taxis to take you to a beach. There are some great all inclusives.

I agree on Laszlo' Costa Maya recommendation. Maya Chan is fantastic.

Hope you find what it is that interests you.

We just came off the Star last week.

In Roatan we hired a van for the day. $25 He took us all over the island and then we went to a beach that provided everything except full meals for $25. I think it was RTT tours

In Belize I went cave tubing, but the rest of my group went to Caye Caulker. They loved it. Again beachy but a 20 minute water taxi ride.

In Costa Maya, I just went off the ship and shopped a little bit. Otherwise enjoyed the quiet ship.

In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sanchos. All-inclusive beach but has an inflatable water park.

In all of the ports you could just get off the ship and shop and go back on the ship.

We just disembarked this morning after doing that same itinerary. I feel like your trip will be more enjoyable if you do something at at least a few ports. Each port has some shops and a place to eat or get a drink-but they aren't destinations in themselves. We had never cruised before but after reading a lot here on cruise critic I felt confident enough to plan 3 excursions on my own (we did one through the ship). For instance we really enjoyed the beach at Chankanaab in Cozumel..but you have to take a taxi-you couldn't walk. Planing it yourself is much cheaper than an excursion through the ship. Whatever you chose to do I hope you have a great trip!