New Years Eve and a visit to Espenada

Micahs Grandad

Ensenada? Ensenada is covered on the Mexican Rivera board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

How long are you there for? Ensenada can sometimes be a very short stop to meet certain regulations. There is a number of things to do there, depending on how much time you are in port.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As mentioned, there is a need, under regulations, to stop in a foreign port. I won't try to quote the law- not my specialty. But I have seen stops from 7pm to 11pm, and similar. Sometimes called a "Service Call".

They are just playing by the rules.

Even if you only have a few hours, it would be fun to take the shuttle into town and walk around. $2 to go in to town, $1 to get back to the ship. You can walk around, shop, have some yummy fish tacos and /or guacamole, and enjoy a margarita . If you have longer and if Princess offers the excursion , the two winery shore excursion is fun and informative .

Edited by cvpends

When we where there for four hours we didn't get off the ship. I think that is the time you have for a return from Hawaii.There are some shops right at the pier.

When we were there for a full day we took the shuttle into town and walked around. Not much there. The one site is the 'blow hole' which is promoted by the locals.

Princess does New Year's Eve right! On our New Hear's Eve cruises it was always formal night. They had tiara's and top hats at your table along with noise makers. There will music and dancing in the atrium/piazza, with a balloon drop at midnight. It's very festive and very fun!

I've been on the Hawaiian cruise three times, always during the holiday times. You don't only have all the holiday aspects that Princess gives you (the big New Years celebration in the Grand Atrium with balloon drop and official countdown while a live band entertains), but you also get the Hawaiian cultural program of wonderful Hawaiian music and activities.

We've already been to Ensenada on cruises many times (and honestly for me, once was more than enough). As the Ensenada stop is on the last full day of the cruise, we'll pack our stuff and then hang out on the ship. A few cruises ago we did get off the ship to go to that marketplace next to the pier that was mentioned above so that hubby can buy a trinket for his mother. He also bought some earrings for me...with posts that turned green so I never wore them again. The next two times we stayed on board and treated those days as stationary days at sea. I don't think I'm off by saying that at least 85 per cent of the passengers did the same.

Ensenada is a dump, the armpit of the world. It is dirty and disgusting. The tourist areas offer nothing more than bars with very, very loud music blaring out into the street. Oh yah, and the tiger cubs. There are always one or two places that have cubs that you can hold for photos. The poor animals are drugged into submission every day until their little bodies give out and they die. Stay on the ship!

Rick

Yes, everyone has their own opinion. I have been to Ensenada several times and have had no trouble making an enjoyable time of it. If there is time, the two winery tour to the Guadalupe Valley is lovely. Wine tasting, nibbles and a free bottle of wine. In town, walk to the public fish market. Lots of small restaurants opposite the market that serve delicious fish tacos, shrimp cocktails, margaritas and beer. Wander around town. Some shops are typical touristy, some are little gems. I love to learn about everyday life when I travel, so check out local supermarkets (good liquor prices). The walk to town, to and from the ship is very short and a good way to walk off your meal. Every experience is what you make of it. Have a great cruise.