Deep thoughts about Alaskan cruise on Legend

cruiseonthebrain

So I know I am many months out but I cannot help but plan this cruise- at least plan it in my head.

My DH is athletic and adventurous and will probably have no problem finding shore excursions.

I am very mobility limited so I booked a wrap around vista suite thinking I was paying a lot more but it would be worth the money if I can't leave the ship.

Any folks who have cruised Alaska- do you think it was worth the extra money to get the vista wrap around?

So I know I am many months out but I cannot help but plan this cruise- at least plan it in my head.

My DH is athletic and adventurous and will probably have no problem finding shore excursions.

I am very mobility limited so I booked a wrap around vista suite thinking I was paying a lot more but it would be worth the money if I can't leave the ship.

Any folks who have cruised Alaska- do you think it was worth the extra money to get the vista wrap around?

We were on Princess for Alaska but had the Carib deck which is standard width but very deep. We could easily fit the 4 of us on it no problem. We wouldn't sail without a balcony ever again and I am sure and Aft Wrap would be fantastic there. Just realize that the weather is unpredictable and not good by my East Coast standards.

We were there Memorial day week and while we had no rain except a mist leaving Seattle, it was cool, especially at sea and at night - you have to bundle up to be outside most times. Gloves and a hat are a must. It warmed up during the day to low 60's - which felt like 75 so we were in shirt sleeves, but that was after de-layering over the morning and being out walking on shore. And we really didn't have any sunny days - except one - where we rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon - that might be a happy compromise for you as a short excursion. We saw a brown bear from the car - and she came literally within 20' - drunk on dandelions!

We did an Alaska cruise about 5 years ago. Get a balcony for sure, a wraparound would be amazing as you could have more than one view.

If you plan on spending a lot of time on the balcony which I presume you will since you are limited to staying on the ship, make sure you take warm clothes.

I wish I had taken a blanket also as I sat on the balcony a lot with my legs up on the other chair and a blanket would have been cosy. I used the beach towels.

Also, if you like photography, invest in a zoom lens and take binoculars. I saw grizzly bears on the shore but would have loved to have been able to see them more closely. We also saw lots of seals and bald eagles from the balcony.

I think you made a great choice! Alaska is all about the scenery, and that wraparound balcony will be a big plus to enjoy that.

Thank you all so much!!! I am so excited- looks like I will be looking for an inexpensive blanket to buy in Seattle so I don't have to pack it :-)

Get the room steward to bring you an extra comforter, if there isn't one already stowed in the room somewhere - I always get an extra for nap time.

We had a 4th Deck (Main) Aft Wrap Suite on Carnival Spirit for Alaska.

Absolutely hands down you want that balcony.

Amazing. Alaska is so beautiful it's like a dream! Enjoy!

The lower the deck. The larger the balcony.

Deck 5 are only 1 large room, the others are 2 rooms & nice, nice, nice.

Your room steward can bring you a extra blanket.

Edited by silvercrikhix

A word about an excursion you can do. The train is only feet from the ship in Skagway. It's a 3 hour ride through some beautiful, rugged country. A tour guide explains what you are passing and gives the history.(no stops it's 1/2 hours up and the same back. A few years ago it was $120 pp. Well worth it. AND when you visit Tracy Arm you will have a most memorable day without leaving the ship. Alaska is amazing. We did it twice and I'd look forward to going again someday.

We were on Princess for Alaska but had the Carib deck which is standard width but very deep. We could easily fit the 4 of us on it no problem. We wouldn't sail without a balcony ever again and I am sure and Aft Wrap would be fantastic there. Just realize that the weather is unpredictable and not good by my East Coast standards.

We were there Memorial day week and while we had no rain except a mist leaving Seattle, it was cool, especially at sea and at night - you have to bundle up to be outside most times. Gloves and a hat are a must. It warmed up during the day to low 60's - which felt like 75 so we were in shirt sleeves, but that was after de-layering over the morning and being out walking on shore. And we really didn't have any sunny days - except one - where we rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon - that might be a happy compromise for you as a short excursion. We saw a brown bear from the car - and she came literally within 20' - drunk on dandelions!

Thank you for the information! I had never thought about driving into the Yukon. That sounds like something I could do and really want to do! I have never been drunk on dandelions before, but I'd like to be:-)

We did an Alaska cruise about 5 years ago. Get a balcony for sure, a wraparound would be amazing as you could have more than one view.

If you plan on spending a lot of time on the balcony which I presume you will since you are limited to staying on the ship, make sure you take warm clothes.

I wish I had taken a blanket also as I sat on the balcony a lot with my legs up on the other chair and a blanket would have been cosy. I used the beach towels.

Also, if you like photography, invest in a zoom lens and take binoculars. I saw grizzly bears on the shore but would have loved to have been able to see them more closely. We also saw lots of seals and bald eagles from the balcony.

I didn't know I may be able to see wildlife from the ship. That sound awesome! I do have. Canon Rebel SLR but it is quite a few years old. Can anyone recommend a zoom lens?

A word about an excursion you can do. The train is only feet from the ship in Skagway. It's a 3 hour ride through some beautiful, rugged country. A tour guide explains what you are passing and gives the history.(no stops it's 1/2 hours up and the same back. A few years ago it was $120 pp. Well worth it. AND when you visit Tracy Arm you will have a most memorable day without leaving the ship. Alaska is amazing. We did it twice and I'd look forward to going again someday.

Thank you so much for the tip on the railway in Skagway! I love travel by rail and that definately sounds doable and enjoyable for me.

Excursion Skagway. We were there in July got the best of Skagway. Took the combo bus/train up to Fraser, and train /bus back to Skagway. You see more of the beautiful Alaskan trail way by bus and just luxuriate in the scenery. and the famous welcome to Alaska sign that you will miss if you only took the train.

We also did helicopter ,dog sledding , glacier in Juneau and hunted for bears by plane in misty fjord. All together a very bucket list adventure. You will love it. !!

Edited by Missymo

I had the vista suite on the legend this last year for Alaska. Fourth floor wrap has no overhang. I also had the vista suite on the legend that is on the fifth floor the one room wrap for the 2014 trip to Sydney. I love wraps and frankly get them when available. So all told I have spent nearly 30 days on the wraps on the legend.

I was very cold on the Alaska wrap. Got the extra comforter out ( yes the room steward will bring you one if here isn't already an extra one in the closet) and sat there for hours when it was not raining. I am also a camera fanatic and a semi pro outdoor photographer so I like to watch for whales and birds. I had also been to Alaska in 1999 on a princess ship with no balcony and agree that Alaska is definitely worth getting a balcony.

You will be exposed to rain and if it rains a lot like it did this last year you will find that you can't go outside and sit on the fourth or fifth floor wraps.

I would also advise going on the small boat excursion to the glacier if it is offered. You can sit in the front and get up close to see the glaciers, even with mobility issues. Just don't plan on climbing the stairs to the upmost level when the boat is moving. This excursion is pricy and sells out early but worth the money. It was not listed on carnival's excursion page so one of my friends called carnival and got the email address to book it directly.

Hi Snorkelgirlca

Was reading your reply about cruising in a Vista suite to Sydney.

We live in Sydney and in October will be in vista suite (5th floor) on the Carnival Legend cruising the Pacific Islands. Have read quite a few reports that we will be disappointed by the layout of our vista suite as it is set up as one big room rather than being divided.

It is too late to change now as everything is booked out.

Could you give me your thoughts on this particular suite. Were you disappointed?

Many thanks...Favlady.:p

While a balcony is nice in AK, it is certainly not a requirement and by being stuck on one you tend to miss half of what is going on. As far as excursions you should be able to find some that work. There are quiet a few tours that just stay on buses or such. Of course you balcony is not going to be much help when you are tied up in port which is where you issue with excursions comes into play. The scenery from the balcony isn't going to do much changing in those 8 - 10 hours you are docked.

I would also advise going on the small boat excursion to the glacier if it is offered. You can sit in the front and get up close to see the glaciers, even with mobility issues. Just don't plan on climbing the stairs to the upmost level when the boat is moving. This excursion is pricy and sells out early but worth the money. It was not listed on carnival's excursion page so one of my friends called carnival and got the email address to book it directly.

For clairfication- the above is referring to an add on Tracy Arm ship shore excursion. It IS listed on the shore excursion page, under Juneau tours. You do have to book, by either separate email or calling. (in the past, verify current booking policies).

I find this excursion- especially for first timers- "necessary". It is GROSSLY superior compared to the cruise ship transit, which likely won't get past Sawyer Island- and only allowing a distant, partial view of the South Sawyer Glacier. This excursion- DOES require the mobility ability to go up and down a flight of stairs.

One of the best benefits, of an Aft wrap, other than the size is the position AFT. The wind while in motion can be extreme, and the larger deck plus the lack of wind on the back, can be a huge plus.

Hi Snorkelgirlca

Was reading your reply about cruising in a Vista suite to Sydney.

We live in Sydney and in October will be in vista suite (5th floor) on the Carnival Legend cruising the Pacific Islands. Have read quite a few reports that we will be disappointed by the layout of our vista suite as it is set up as one big room rather than being divided.

It is too late to change now as everything is booked out.

Could you give me your thoughts on this particular suite. Were you disappointed?

Many thanks...Favlady.:p

I was on this cruise by myself as my husband did not want to take off,three weeks plus. He was with me in Alaska this summer in the two room suite.

I actually liked the bigger one room set up but then there was just me in the room. Lotsof space to use. Could spread out clothes as there was both a sofa and a big wardrobe on top of the closet.

The only negative was there is no overhang so when it is raining or really sunny the balcony was hot or completely drenched. Fortunately it only rained the two days we were getting away from the hurricane which demolished cabo last Septembe. It rained more in Alaska and there was a small overhang on the fourth floor vista.

The two room suite is more set up for entertaining than the one room suite. Both have the same bathroom set up meaning the two sink vanity and full tub shower so that is a push.

So for two people there is less privacy in the one room vista but I actually liked the set up better for me.

The one rooms suite when booked through the carnival USA was slightly cheaperin 2014. I saw that both types are still available through carnival au for next October 16 Honolulu to,Sydney at the same price of roughly $6500 USD for the 17 days. So yes if I could get either room for the same price I would go for the.two room if there was two people, but I would not cancel the one room vista if that is all that is available.

I usually try to get an extended aft balcony due to the price difference with the vista. So if you have been in one of those rooms, think of the single room vista balcony as being an extended aft moved sideways as the bed faces the 25 feet Windows which open up to the balcony, with double the internal room size and

with a full bath tub double the size of a regular balcony.

M

Thanks so much for your reply. It has put my mind at ease. As you say perhaps the divided room might be a little bit better but I'm sure my husband and myself will enjoy the extra space of the room and balcony. Thanks again. Favlady.