A few inquiries about leaving from Galveston,TX.

DJLDRUMS

We cruise out of Galveston frequently because we can drive. But I have to agree with Bob on this one. We are about a 7 hour drive from the port, so an overnight stay is always required.

I think what Bob is referring to is that many of the businesses and the port itself make it hard to cruise out of Galveston compared to other places that may have similar difficulties (distance from port to airport, offsite parking disputes etc.).

The franchise owners for the hotels and car rental agencies seem to discourage cruise business. Year round sailings from Galveston have been going on for a number of years now, and it seems to get more difficult with each passing year just to find a room to stay the night before. I've always had to pay a pretty high room rate on the island, so I can't imagine they aren't making money from cruisers.

I on the other hand plan ahead and I am usually booking 3 - 4 hotel rooms and 4 - 5 cabins. I don't see the price of the hotels as being substantially more than any Florida port. If you wait until the last minute you often find no vacancies or pay a higher price.

People can disparage Galveston or cruising out of Galveston all they want. Of course the port has its problems but so do other ports. If you live across the country and can't fly into Hobby then maybe Galveston isn't your best choice. It is certainly a hassle for those of us in Texas to have to Fly to Florida and arrange hotel and transportation in Port Canaveral, but I would never say that port only "tolerates" the cruise industry.

Clarea never answered my question regarding how many times he has cruised out of Galveston to make such a blanket statement and present himself as some sort of expert on Galveston cruising. I realize he is basically a full time poster here and presents himself as an expert, but in this case he is not.

I on the other hand plan ahead and I am usually booking 3 - 4 hotel rooms and 4 - 5 cabins. I don't see the price of the hotels as being substantially more than any Florida port. If you wait until the last minute you often find no vacancies or pay a higher price.

I think you misunderstood me. I am in no way complaining about the price of the hotel rooms. Like you, I am often booking multiple cabins and hotel rooms and typically do so 9 months or more out. I just booked November 2016 and March 2017 and the hotel search game has already started for the November cruise (most hotels don't open bookings more than a year out).

My problem the last few years has been I need 4-5 rooms for one night not two. It used to be just a few hotels required two night minimum or only during peak times (spring break comes to mind) now there seems to be a blanket 2 night minimum across the island even during the lowest times of the year.

My problem the last few years has been I need 4-5 rooms for one night not two. It used to be just a few hotels required two night minimum or only during peak times (spring break comes to mind) now there seems to be a blanket 2 night minimum across the island even during the lowest times of the year.

I often see people post that RCI is a corporation with the goal of making a profit as an excuse for their policies and pricing. Same can be said for hotels in Galveston. They are catching on that the market will bear the 2 night minimum.

Besides...its not like there is a lot of open space to build more hotels on the island. People seem to forget about Texas City just off the island. Our last cruise was out of Galveston (we drove) and there were 8 groups eating the free breakfast the morning of departure that were leaving on one of the two ships that day. Sure it takes a car/shuttle but it is cheaper, the hotels are more accommodating and it is a short drive.

... Clarea never answered my question regarding how many times he has cruised out of Galveston to make such a blanket statement and present himself as some sort of expert on Galveston cruising. I realize he is basically a full time poster here and presents himself as an expert, but in this case he is not.

I've cruised out of Galveston a total of 3 times. If you carefully re-read my post, when I mentioned that it appears Galveston "tolerates" the cruise industry, I used the word OPINION as a prefix to that sentence. It is a fact that what I said is my OPINION. However, everything I mentioned about rental cars, transfers, and hotels has been based on facts.

Note that I forget to mention some of the other negatives about Galveston, such as the propensity for fog at certain times of the year, those laws about using Texas stamped liquor while in port, or the attempts at taxing people as they leave the ship.

By the way, in the time I've been cruising, Port Canaveral has built two new cruise terminals, and Galveson has built zero.

I often see people post that RCI is a corporation with the goal of making a profit as an excuse for their policies and pricing. Same can be said for hotels in Galveston. They are catching on that the market will bear the 2 night minimum ...

I'm not saying it's wrong or unethical for the hotels to charge whatever they want. Like you say, they are in business to maximize profit.

However, that does not change the fact that the two-night stay requirement is a disadvantage compared to many other cruise ports.

I often see people post that RCI is a corporation with the goal of making a profit as an excuse for their policies and pricing. Same can be said for hotels in Galveston. They are catching on that the market will bear the 2 night minimum.

You are 100% correct, as a business owner myself I know that these decisions are made with profit in mind. They must be satisfied with things as they are or they wouldn't be doing it. Doesn't make it any less frustrating as the traveler though.

My opinion of Galveston as a whole is that the tourism industry there is about 90% geared towards those vacationing on the island not cruisers. If the hotels etc. pick up some cruisers along the way, it's just a bonus for them.

I have cruised out of Port Canaveral and it is a hassle getting from the airport to the port. But I wouldn't shoot down Port Canaveral because of that. You build the cost into your cruise.

You've missed the point.

The comparison for port canaveral to galveston was due to the distance from aiport to pier. Out of PC, you do NOT get forced into paying for 2 nights at a hotel, the airport transporation options are more plentiful and much cheaper, and local transportation is the same situation.

I stand by my statement that Galveston is fine for folks close enough to drive. If you're used to FLL, PC, or even SJU it's more expensive and more of a hassle. (I haven't sailed out of MIA for a decade, but back then it was easy and cheap.) It's just somewhat annoying to continue to hear people from that TX / LA area say it's not a pain. You're welcome to disagree but there's plenty of people just on CC with that have experienced the unusual difficulties of flying into Houston for a sailing out of Galveston.

I'm not saying it's wrong or unethical for the hotels to charge whatever they want. Like you say, they are in business to maximize profit.

However, that does not change the fact that the two-night stay requirement is a disadvantage compared to many other cruise ports.

I think one has to also recognize the week that they are sailing vs the week that Galveston holds events. There are many. And each one of them, for many, are considered 'destinations' for the week or weekend. Just a few weekends would be Bike Week, MardiGras, Dickens on the Strand to name a few. There are more as well.

Most cities/towns require a two night stay on these extremely busy weeks. College towns for home games are known for this. My point is, I don't think others should read into it that every weekend, the hotels in Glaveston require a two night stay.

... My opinion of Galveston as a whole is that the tourism industry there is about 90% geared towards those vacationing on the island not cruisers. If the hotels etc. pick up some cruisers along the way, it's just a bonus for them.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, thanks.:)

I think you misunderstood me. I am in no way complaining about the price of the hotel rooms. Like you, I am often booking multiple cabins and hotel rooms and typically do so 9 months or more out. I just booked November 2016 and March 2017 and the hotel search game has already started for the November cruise (most hotels don't open bookings more than a year out).

By any chance are your future Nov and March cruises during Thanksgiving and spring break in Texas? You can understand why a hotel wouldn't want to book a one night Saturday stay during holiday periods.

For other weeks I can imagine the hotels don't want all their Saturday nights booked with one nighters when they can hope for the all weekend bookings. They are in business to make money.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, thanks.:)

If that were true why do we have so many year round cruises with multiple lines? You are not an expert on Galeveston or cruising from Galveston. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I hate to see others shy away from Galveston cruising based on your comments.

I think one has to also recognize the week that they are sailing vs the week that Galveston holds events. There are many. And each one of them, for many, are considered 'destinations' for the week or weekend. Just a few weekends would be Bike Week, MardiGras, Dickens on the Strand to name a few. There are more as well.

Most cities/towns require a two night stay on these extremely busy weeks. College towns for home games are known for this. My point is, I don't think others should read into it that every weekend, the hotels in Glaveston require a two night stay.

Exactly.

To say that Galveston only "tolerates" the cruise industry is way off base.

Actually, I regard the statement as pretty factual. I have also cruised out of Galveston for oh, maybe 15 cruises. Galveston is a nice little island but it is a tight knit little group also. They like having control of their island. I have been involved in some disputes with them...to say the least. We were part of a group who suggested that Galveston might create a railway spur from the airport over to the island...in spite of the possibility of the island making a profit on this idea, it did not go well. And the idea of charging for 2 nights by the big hotels is robbery IMHO. And yes, they do require that every weekend. A captive group of cruisers being taken to the cleaners. You don't find that on the other side of the channel. We purposefully drive down day of cruise for most of our cruises to avoid that. And we don't ever cruise during holidays.

Nope, they do not tolerate interference in their affairs.

I find they are extremely resistant to progressive ideas. They should at least have a one way rental return on island.

All in all, I think the assessment was pretty right on. O.K. flame retardent clothing is on.....

Edited by BecciBoo

... Most cities/towns require a two night stay on these extremely busy weeks. College towns for home games are known for this. My point is, I don't think others should read into it that every weekend, the hotels in Glaveston require a two night stay.

You are probably correct in that the time of year is an important element to the two-night stay thing.

I'm biased by the fact that we tend to cruise in the first week in January (after New Year's) and the first week of September. We've done this for many years, out of Florida (PC, Tampa, and FLL) San Juan, and Galveston. During those periods, I only ran into the two-night stay thing in Galveston. I guess we have just been unfortunate that something was going on in Galveston during those periods.

By any chance are your future Nov and March cruises during Thanksgiving and spring break in Texas? You can understand why a hotel wouldn't want to book a one night Saturday stay during holiday periods.

For other weeks I can imagine the hotels don't want all their Saturday nights booked with one nighters when they can hope for the all weekend bookings. They are in business to make money.

The November sailing is post Thanksgiving (one of the lowest priced cruises and historically lowest hotel times of the year). Just for kicks I watched the hotels for the equivalent sailing this year. Magically, a week out every hotel suddenly had one night availability and at some of the best prices I have ever seen in Galveston ($100-150/nt at Hilton & San Luis) Yes, my March sailing will be spring break and I fully expect I will be staying in Houston the night before for that sailing (currently, most hotels aren't accepting 2017 reservations yet).

Actually, I regard the statement as pretty factual. I have also cruised out of Galveston for oh, maybe 15 cruises. Galveston is a nice little island but it is a tight knit little group also. They like having control of their island. I have been involved in some disputes with them...to say the least. We were part of a group who suggested that Galveston might create a railway spur from the airport over to the island...in spite of the possibility of the island making a profit on this idea, it did not go well. And the idea of charging for 2 nights by the big hotels is robbery IMHO. A captive group of cruisers being taken to the cleaners. You don't find that on the other side of the channel. We purposefully drive down day of cruise for most of our cruises to avoid that.

Nope, they do not tolerate interference in their affairs.

I find they are extremely resistant to progressive ideas. They should at least have a one way rental return on island.

All in all, I think the assessment was pretty right on.

I've got no problem with the two night minimum for hotels. It sucks for hotels to have to turn down people who are wanting to stay for the entire weekend of possibly even the entire week, when the hotel is available for all nights but one. They wouldn't have those policies if the result was empty rooms.

You've missed the point.

The comparison for port canaveral to galveston was due to the distance from aiport to pier. Out of PC, you do NOT get forced into paying for 2 nights at a hotel, the airport transporation options are more plentiful and much cheaper, and local transportation is the same situation.

I stand by my statement that Galveston is fine for folks close enough to drive. If you're used to FLL, PC, or even SJU it's more expensive and more of a hassle. (I haven't sailed out of MIA for a decade, but back then it was easy and cheap.) It's just somewhat annoying to continue to hear people from that TX / LA area say it's not a pain. You're welcome to disagree but there's plenty of people just on CC with that have experienced the unusual difficulties of flying into Houston for a sailing out of Galveston.

If you are flying from California it is a much shorter flight and cheaper than flying to Florida. Certainly it is cheaper and a much shorter flight than to SJU. Your comments may fit your situation. My comments fit mine and others that I know who live in California and other states. On a prior post I did say if you live where flying to Houston Hobby is not doable, then maybe cruising from Galveston is not for you.

Driving isn't the only way to get to Galveston. We live in Texas and often fly to Houston Hobby.

If that were true why do we have so many year round cruises with multiple lines? ....

Because you have enough drive-in cruisers that don't have to deal with the fly-in issues. Texas and the surrounding area has a huge population within driving distance. Please keep in mind that my opinion is based on the comparison of the fly-in experience to Galveston vs Florida. Even flying into Los Angeles for a cruise out of San Pedro is easier than flying to cruise out of Galveston.

Edited by clarea

They put it to a vote and it was decided that moving the island of Galveston closer to the airports would be cost prohibitive. :)

Princes & HAL leave out of the Port of Houston, but it must not be going to well for Princess as they're pulling out in April. There is a strong market for the Cruise industry in Galveston. The population in Texas is huge. Galveston serves this market well.

Love it!

Because you have enough drive-in cruisers that don't have to deal with the fly-in issues. Texas and the surrounding area has a huge population within driving distance. Please keep in mind that my opinion is based on the comparison of the fly-in experience to Galveston vs Florida. Even flying into Los Angeles for a cruise out of San Pedro is easier than flying to cruise out of Galveston.

As I have also flown into LA to cruise out of San Pedro I would beg to differ. Again, how many times have you sailed out of Galveston?

The November sailing is post Thanksgiving (one of the lowest priced cruises and historically lowest hotel times of the year). Just for kicks I watched the hotels for the equivalent sailing this year. Magically, a week out every hotel suddenly had one night availability and at some of the best prices I have ever seen in Galveston ($100-150/nt at Hilton & San Luis) Yes, my March sailing will be spring break and I fully expect I will be staying in Houston the night before for that sailing (currently, most hotels aren't accepting 2017 reservations yet).

I have gotten the Hilton for $97-$99 (including the shuttle) when I booked far enough in advance. We have 4 rooms booked in Galveston for March 2016 at a good hotel for one night even though it is Spring Break in Texas. So this blanket statement of "one is FORCED to stay two nights" is patently untrue.

Yes, it does appear that the Hilton and San Luis and others are starting to require 2 nights because they have their bottom line to think about. Are people really going to begrudge a hotel located in a tourist area to accomodate their one night needs versus that businesses bottom line? Really?

Edited to say maybe I will check the Hilton a couple weeks out as I do like that hotel (stayed there many, many times) and the shuttle.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

I've got no problem with the two night minimum for hotels. It sucks for hotels to have to turn down people who are wanting to stay for the entire weekend of possibly even the entire week, when the hotel is available for all nights but one. They wouldn't have those policies if the result was empty rooms.

But that works for cruisers who don't need 2 nights doesn't it...:rolleyes: We have just as much right to book a hotel as has anyone else. What we don't deserve is to be paying for something we will never use.

If they want more money, just label it high season and charge it, but don't try to get me to buy the fact that they require a minimum stay. That is dishonest marketing. And that goes for any hotel in any city.

Don't get me wrong, the people of Galveston are friends, fellow Texans and good people, but they do play their political games. Just sayin...:cool:

Frustrating.............but we are resigned to staying in Texas City if we decide to go down early,.

Bzou you must be special, I just checked for our April 24th cruise and could not get a one night deal...at all. Spring break is over.

Edited by BecciBoo

As I have also flown into LA to cruise out of San Pedro I would beg to differ. Again, how many times have you sailed out of Galveston?

I can see you are not reading the posts very well. Re-read post #29.

Sen Pedro has an Enterprise rental car agency close to the cruise port that takes one-way rentals, is open on Sunday, and has a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. There is also an Avis in Long Beach that is a $20 cab ride from the cruise terminal. San Pedro has some nice hotels (Crown Plaza is very nice) where I did not have to pay a two-night minimum.

But that works for cruisers who don't need 2 nights doesn't it...:rolleyes: We have just as much right to book a hotel as has anyone else. What we don't deserve is to be paying for something we will never use.

If they want more money, just label it high season and charge it, but don't try to get me to buy the fact that they require a minimum stay. That is dishonest marketing. And that goes for any hotel in any city.

Don't get me wrong, the people of Galveston are friends, fellow Texans and good people, but they do play their political games. Just sayin...:cool:

Frustrating.............but we are resigned to staying in Texas City if we decide to go down early,.

Bzou you must be special, I just checked for our April 24th cruise and could not get a one night deal...at all. Spring break is over.

I'm not special, I just plan ahead. We have four rooms booked at the Hampton Inn for less than $200 each and includes breakfast.

Trying to book now for an April cruise is kinda late, just saying.

Glad I'm not the only Texan who is frustrated with way many Galveston businesses are run (as it relates to cruising).