booze mess up no refund

edteach

Even though you gave it to the folks at Celebrity, what was your expectation? They would contact the vendor, return the bottle on your behalf and get you a refund? Or did you think they would get the right bottle and send it to you? I'll be honest, I would never have an expectation that either one would happen. Celebrity is a big company and tracking down the vendor is a whole lot of work. Personally I would have just racked it up to a screw up and gift the bottle to someone else at home.

Sorry I don't agree. Saying Celebrity is a big company so its OK to put up a video on the ship channel saying if your not happy with a purchase at a store they recommend they will take care of it and then saying well they are big is total BS. Its been two weeks and I have not heard anything from them. I guess they stole my rum. If stealing is OK for you because they are big and my buy was small that is your ethics book not mine.

Receiving a refund in 2 weeks from most large corporations is most unusual. I would think it would normally take longer. As Andy recommended, you should send an email to make X aware of your concern. That will get your issue logged into their system for future reference should you not receive it. That way they can't come back and say you should have notified them sooner.

We took our first cruise to the west Caribbean. Celebrity cruise line the Reflection. We watched the on ship shopping channel and went where we were told. In Jamaica we went to Gem Palace. Bought some rum cream and were told that we had to have it delivered to the ship. We were not given it until the night before disembarkation. We found that instead of the rum cream it was the cheap straight rum. All we could do was to go see the ship customer service manager and he said to bring him the rum and we would get a refund. I did not really want a refund I wanted the rum cream. But I have many bottles of rum at home and did not need another so we brought him the bottles of rum. We still have not heard a thing. Since it was paid in cash we are SOL. Just a reminder never pay in cash unless its something you can take withyou. Not satisfied with Celebrity cruise line.

Your reminder is Common Sense 101. Not Celebrity's fault

Your reminder is Common Sense 101. Not Celebrity's fault

Depends on what you are talking about. Was it Celebrity's fault that the wrong bottles of alcohol were delivered? No, what is their fault is they gave a guarantee on making things right if you buy from a associated store. That is the part they are on the hook for. If you don't get it I can not make it any more simple for you.

Celebrity are notoriously bad for communication. Is it possible the refund went through but no one has notified you to the fact? I realize you paid cash for the rum but Celebrity would probably issue a refund on whatever card you had connected with your room. I remember having an issue onboard and that was the outcome for me, a refund showed up on my CC a couple of weeks post cruise, no notification.

I agree that you need to be getting in touch with the shore-based staff -- who are the people who issue refunds. Email a copy of the receipt from the liquor store showing what you bought and a copy of the receipt from the ship showing what you turned in. Ask nicely when you might expect a credit to your card.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that you need to be getting in touch with the shore-based staff -- who are the people who issue refunds. Email a copy of the receipt from the liquor store showing what you bought and a copy of the receipt from the ship showing what you turned in. Ask nicely when you might expect a credit to your card.

I called the shore staff and was told a week ago they would get back to me. I received an email today saying that the owner of the store is out of town and they have to wait for him to return and they will contact me. Sounds like a blow off to me. I don't recommend using the stores RC recommends. I also don't recommend not taking your product yourself from any store. Don't rely on RC they lie about backing you up. Very poor CS. If they are this big of a POS on a 20 dollar bottle of booze what would they be like if there really was a problem. I have always felt if you are not good to your customers on the small stuff then forget the big stuff.

Edited by edteach

I called the shore staff and was told a week ago they would get back to me. I received an email today saying that the owner of the store is out of town and they have to wait for him to return and they will contact me. Sounds like a blow off to me. I don't recommend using the stores RC recommends. I also don't recommend not taking your product yourself from any store. Don't rely on RC they lie about backing you up. Very poor CS. If they are this big of a POS on a 20 dollar bottle of booze what would they be like if there really was a problem. I have always felt if you are not good to your customers on the small stuff then forget the big stuff.

It appears the shore staff is working on your issue. Although it's taking is longer than you would like they did in fact get back to you by email today. Now you have an email acknowledgement that you can reply to if you do not hear anything further in a week.

Hope it works out..a refund might be the best solution.

As mentioned certain alcoholic items cannot be shiipped or imported to US., preference for US products.,,.you can buy it there and bring it back but not buy it here.....we like a certain St Kitts rum..but only recently is it sold in US..limited basis,,, (plan to get some on our next cruise..but we carry it on ourselvesafter they pack it)

Hope it works out..a refund might be the best solution.

As mentioned certain alcoholic items cannot be shiipped or imported to US., preference for US products.,,.you can buy it there and bring it back but not buy it here.....we like a certain St Kitts rum..but only recently is it sold in US..limited basis,,, (plan to get some on our next cruise..but we carry it on ourselvesafter they pack it)

Yep will not repeat that again. If I buy it it stays with me till I get on the ship, if they need to hold it thats fine.

Good luck with your resolution. I'm sure it will eventually come. From reading boards on multiple lines, I'd say most cruise lines take way too long to resolve customer issues. I personally don't see why Celebrity has to wait to speak with the owner to resolve this issue. The wrong product was delivered and that product was handed over to Celebrity. Case closed, issue the darn refund. It's not like they're going to track down the bottles and ship them to the OP should the store owner refuse to cooperate. Make your customer happy and deal with your approved vendor afterwards.

Well I just got a call from Gem Palace and was told that they never received the bottles of rum from the Cruise ship. What a shock. So Celebrity kept our booze and we get the shaft. I recommend if you shop on Celebrity line never rely of them for anything they say. Buyer beware. They are horrible liars at worst, inept at best. I should have kept the rum and just lived with the wrong stuff.

Depends on what you are talking about. Was it Celebrity's fault that the wrong bottles of alcohol were delivered? No, what is their fault is they gave a guarantee on making things right if you buy from a associated store. That is the part they are on the hook for. If you don't get it I can not make it any more simple for you.

I think I understand that the store put the wrong bottle in your order. OK so far? You discovered the error the last night of your cruise. OK? Then Celebrity took your bottle of "cheap rum"? Still good? Did you get a receipt for the bottle they took? If so then the situation is pretty easily rectified by providing X in Miami Beach with a copy of the receipt from the person you gave the bottle (or bottles) to.If not then chalk it up to the two mistakes you made - paying in cash and not getting a receipt for the bottle you handed to X. Realize that does not make it right but you obviously need some proof. And yes I agree that things like this should not take 3 weeks to sort. Sorry you had a problem.

PS - Is it bottle or bottles? Different posts say different things.

Edited by az_tchr

I think I understand that the store put the wrong bottle in your order. OK so far? You discovered the error the last night of your cruise. OK? Then Celebrity took your bottle of "cheap rum"? Still good? Did you get a receipt for the bottle they took? If so then the situation is pretty easily rectified by providing X in Miami Beach with a copy of the receipt from the person you gave the bottle (or bottles) to.If not then chalk it up to the two mistakes you made - paying in cash and not getting a receipt for the bottle you handed to X. Realize that does not make it right but you obviously need some proof. And yes I agree that things like this should not take 3 weeks to sort. Sorry you had a problem.

PS - Is it bottle or bottles? Different posts say different things.

I got a receipt from the store,,and from the cruise ship customer service dept. I called today and got the run around again. I think I will just lose out. My advise even getting a receipt is not going to give you any assurance that your going to be taken care of by celebrity cruise line.

I got a receipt from the store,,and from the cruise ship customer service dept. I called today and got the run around again. I think I will just lose out. My advise even getting a receipt is not going to give you any assurance that your going to be taken care of by celebrity cruise line.

snail mail a short, concise note to the CEO of Celebrity with copies of both receipts.

If all else fails, take a look at all your documentation and see if it clearly shows you tried....not phone calls, but hard copy documentation of notes. There are legal remedies....starting with your state's consumer affairs dept (celebrity advertises in your state) and so on. I would hope it wouldn't come to that...but don't give up.

You might want to check out elliott.org for some assistance...as well as names and addresses at Celebrity.

Edited by ghstudio

snail mail a short, concise note to the CEO of Celebrity with copies of both receipts.

If all else fails, take a look at all your documentation and see if it clearly shows you tried....not phone calls, but hard copy documentation of notes. There are legal remedies....starting with your state's consumer affairs dept (celebrity advertises in your state) and so on. I would hope it wouldn't come to that...but don't give up.

You might want to check out elliott.org for some assistance...as well as names and addresses at Celebrity.

Good idea, maybe a report to the BBB

Good idea, maybe a report to the BBB

BBB,IMHO is pretty useless.....If you go in this direction, I'd go for the Chris Elliott approach. He can both help (although he is swamped with requests)...and he can use your info on the many articles he writes for national papers and the internet on consumer related unfriendly actions by companies.

Generally speaking, he has a way of convincing companies to do what they say they will do....

Major error by OP. I would never, EVER, buy anything that was "promised to be delivered to the ship". If it is legit, I will have it in my hand.

Well your not allowed to carry the liquor out of the store. It has to be delivered to the ship. No if they will give in and let you take it if you say its that or walk out I do not know. But its not supposed to be bought and carried around due to it being duty free.

I guess I need to take it down to Rio Linda terms for you. Never said the cruise was horrible, Never said that the delivery of the wrong bottles of rum cream was Celebrity's issue, but they said they backed up the merchants they worked with, and they would take care of it. So far Celebrity took our bottles of rum and has given us no refund. Looks like a rip off so far to me. That is Celebrity's fault and issue.

Well played sir....:cool:

I will not be visiting that merchant on my upcoming cruise.

Edited by SAC69

We took our first cruise to the west Caribbean. Celebrity cruise line the Reflection. We watched the on ship shopping channel and went where we were told. In Jamaica we went to Gem Palace. Bought some rum cream and were told that we had to have it delivered to the ship. We were not given it until the night before disembarkation. We found that instead of the rum cream it was the cheap straight rum. All we could do was to go see the ship customer service manager and he said to bring him the rum and we would get a refund. I did not really want a refund I wanted the rum cream. But I have many bottles of rum at home and did not need another so we brought him the bottles of rum. We still have not heard a thing. Since it was paid in cash we are SOL. Just a reminder never pay in cash unless its something you can take withyou. Not satisfied with Celebrity cruise line.

I think you have a number of issues here that you need to take responsibility for

(1) you say yourself "never pay in cash unless it's something you can take with you" .... Yet you did exactly that

(2) you shopped at an "approved" Celebrity retailer .... Generally means you will pay over the top as X will get a kick back

(3) why didn't you shop around or insist you take the rum cream with you (walk away if it feels wrong)

(4) you mentioned to another poster that you couldn't take the rum as it was "duty free" .... Don't understand this as many places in Europe are duty free (Gibraltar, Canaries etc) and never have I had an issue taking any duty free product from the store to the ship or plane regardless of travel arrangements

(5) finally .... I know we all like a bargain, but how much were you saving on this rum cream compared to purchase at home or on ship (if available)

I do believe that Celebrity also have an issue here, but if you are saying you have receipts from retailer and ship customer services then I can't believe you haven't got this resolved yet.

But you could have easily avoided all of this "risk" by being a little less naive in the first place

I think you have a number of issues here that you need to take responsibility for

(1) you say yourself "never pay in cash unless it's something you can take with you" .... Yet you did exactly that

(2) you shopped at an "approved" Celebrity retailer .... Generally means you will pay over the top as X will get a kick back

(3) why didn't you shop around or insist you take the rum cream with you (walk away if it feels wrong)

(4) you mentioned to another poster that you couldn't take the rum as it was "duty free" .... Don't understand this as many places in Europe are duty free (Gibraltar, Canaries etc) and never have I had an issue taking any duty free product from the store to the ship or plane regardless of travel arrangements

(5) finally .... I know we all like a bargain, but how much were you saving on this rum cream compared to purchase at home or on ship (if available)

I do believe that Celebrity also have an issue here, but if you are saying you have receipts from retailer and ship customer services then I can't believe you haven't got this resolved yet.

But you could have easily avoided all of this "risk" by being a little less naive in the first place

I did not pay cash my wife did and yes that was a mistake. I would have just done a charge back and been done with it. But saying that paying cash is an excuse for a rip off is like saying a woman wearing a short skirt deserves rape.

We shopped at an approved retailer because we did not know what to expect and knew that if you paid the extra you would be safe. So I guess we were wrong to trust X as you say

We asked to take the rum cream but were told they had to deliver it to the ship.

As far as question 4 don't ask me ask celebrity or Gem Palace. Its like me asking you why the yellow lights turn faster then some others.

I am not sure why your trying to be and apologist for the cruise line. They screwed up and are not taking care of a customer. But there is one in every forum, if I posted cat crap stinks they would argue why it does not. Last the ship does not sell rum cream and its hard to find in the states and that brad rum gold is not available at all.

Major error by OP. I would never, EVER, buy anything that was "promised to be delivered to the ship". If it is legit, I will have it in my hand.

There are some islands that actually require delivery only (for rum) to the ships. Grand Caymen is a notable example. That being said, Rum Stop near the port hasn't messed up yet for me. (knock on wood)

Hope it all gets straight OP. I'm used to just picking up that cream rum at the port in Jamaica and walking it on board.