Argentine Currency Change

caazcruzin

There is a very large difference between the "blue" informal exchanges and the ATM which will dispense at the "official" rate.

Actually, our travel agent in BA advised me today that there's now very little difference between the "blue" rate and the official rate. And with the remaining Cuevas, you run a significant risk of getting scammed with counterfeit pesos. Beware!

Actually, our travel agent in BA advised me today that there's now very little difference between the "blue" rate and the official rate. And with the remaining Cuevas, you run a significant risk of getting scammed with counterfeit pesos. Beware!

Your travel agent is correct. The recently elected president lifted controls on the official rate of exchange to let it float based on market conditions. The value of the official peso quickly went up to virtually the same level as the unofficial or blue rate.

The cueva mentioned in Pochito's post is reputable. You will know when you have found it by the picture of the cow in the window. It's a big window and a big cow. You won't get scammed there. I wouldn't travel across town just to exchange money there but If you are staying in Recoleta, its a good place to get some pesos. Your risk is higher if you exchange on Florida street.

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 3 weeks later...
The cueva mentioned in Pochito's post is reputable. You will know when you have found it by the picture of the cow in the window. It's a big window and a big cow. You won't get scammed there.

In early December, I used them when I was staying at the Palacio Duhau PH pre-cruise, and the aforesaid cueva was professional and honest; moreover, it was just 5 minutes or so by strolling. But with the differentials between the Dollar Blue rates and the official exchange rates this narrow, it probably isn't worth the effort now.

Edited by Kinofdc