Ferry Info 101: Fort De France to Pointe De Bout/Anse Mitan Beaches

chschn87

We took the ferry from Fort De France to Anse a L'Ane yesterday. Anse a L'Ane was the first stop. We had a fun, relaxing day there.

We had about 20 locals converge at the last minute, cutting the line & boarding before us! Not appreciated as we waited in line like everyone else. When the same bunch tried to but in front of us on the way back, I got back in front of them and told them NO! HOW STINKIN RUDE!!!

The ferry is a great option for getting to the beach.

We did not see the guy at the pier giving directions, but thanks to this forum we managed very well! THANKS TO ALL who have generously shared!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info on this really useful thread. I'm interested in spending a couple of hours snorkelling and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which beach would be best for this. Have read elsewhere that Anse Mitan has very clear and calm water with plenty of marine life, but also that the beach gets very busy. Has anyone snorkelled at Anse a L'Ane?

Thanks a million,

James

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:05 AM, jameskey said:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info on this really useful thread. I'm interested in spending a couple of hours snorkelling and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which beach would be best for this. Have read elsewhere that Anse Mitan has very clear and calm water with plenty of marine life, but also that the beach gets very busy. Has anyone snorkelled at Anse a L'Ane?

Thanks a million,

James

My question as well... Or are there other good spots with shore entry that are not really on beaches? (I'll check the scuba threads too) Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just returned from our cruise and spent Tuesday January 8, 2019 at Martinique.  We did the "Ferry thing" to all three stops.  It was easy, fun and the ferry system ran like clockwork.  We always asked the friendly ferry worker that helped the passengers on and off if we were on the right boat.  They were all helpful.  It was a weekday(more ferries than weekends) and the Summit (holds "only" about 2,000 people) was the only ship in port.  Ferries were never crowded and no line cutting seen.  All easy!

We started out at the cruise port and walked the short distance to the ferry dock.  Was easily directed to the ferry leaving for Anse a L'Ane.  Nicer beach there than at Mitan.  Cafes and shops more laid-back and rustic. 

Asked and was told when to expect the direct connection from Anse a L'ane to Anse Mitan.  Short ride between the two.  Explored Mitan for awhile.  It's more upscale than Anse a L'Ane with a bit more attitude too.  We easily walked to Pointe de Bout.  Main attraction of Pointe de Bout is a "Europe-like" marina with lovely shops and restaurants.  Nice to walk around.  Got a ferry back to the ship around 2pm or so.  The ferry was there early and waited for its departure time.  Very easy day!

Beaches here are inferior to the other cruise stop islands.  Not really much to see.  Nice to have been there....but not looking to go back!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:15 PM, PelicanLvr said:

Beaches here are inferior to the other cruise stop islands.  Not really much to see.  Nice to have been there....but not looking to go back!

I think this is a fairly subjective blanket statement considering it appears one didn't visit other beaches on this beautiful island.  Martinique is one of the larger islands in the South Caribbean, developed and sophisticated, French-influenced with a variety of different coastlines and beaches, many to the south and east. This island offers much to see and experience.

We just returned from our cruise and we spend an amazing day in Martinique (Jan 29).  We did a morning tour beginning in Fort de France with Karidream (top rated on TripAdvisor!) to see dolphins and snorkel at this fish-laden spot Fond Bouché right off our tour boat - all terrific.  We were dropped off at Anse Mitan where we swam, had a late lunch and took the ferry back to F-d-F.

On that day, the sun was out, the white sand at Anse Mitan was fluffy, the water calm and inviting, and we could have easily stayed another couple of hours.  Karidream also has an afternoon session to snorkel in the south with sea turtles and cave stop for snorkeling, which we hope to do next time.

We can't wait to return and see more of Martinique !

Edited by Maverick!

• 10 months later...

We will be in Martinique in February and, after reading this thread we were all set to take the ferry to Anse Mitan. However I now realise that our ship doesn't dock until 11am and that seems far too late to get going even if we simply have lunch and then head back to our ship?

Anyone have thoughts on this?