Eastern or Western, help!?

Hello:)

I've changed my March vacation so many times for many different reasons, and now I stuck on the ship/itinerary!?

My choices are:

Freedom (Eastern) or Allure (Western)?

What would you say is the best ship/itinerary to pick for our first cruise on RCCL?

*It will be my 2 boys ages 8 & 6 and myself (the mom).

*We've only ever cruised Disney, so RCCL is a totally new cruise line for us!

*I have Allure of the Seas booked in Nov 2016 (Eastern route) already, but that could change!?

*I've been to Cozumel and St. Thomas. I've never been to St. Marteen, Jamaica or either of RCCL's Private Islands (Coco Cay and Labadee)

*I do want to add that after our 7 night cruise were flying to Jamaica to spend 8 nights at an All Inclusive resort, so I will get to experience Jamaica after the cruise, but I'm also fine with going to the Port in Jamaica and the land vacation.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've changed my March vacation so many times for many different reasons, and now I stuck on the ship/itinerary!?

My choices are:

What would you say is the best ship/itinerary to pick for our first cruise on RCCL?

*I have Allure of the Seas booked in Nov 2016 (Eastern route) already, but that could change!?

*I've been to Cozumel and St. Thomas. I've never been to St. Marteen, Jamaica or either of RCCL's Private Islands (Coco Cay and Labadee)

*I do want to add that after our 7 night cruise were flying to Jamaica to spend 8 nights at an All Inclusive resort, so I will get to experience Jamaica after the cruise, but I'm also fine with going to the Port in Jamaica and the land vacation.

I've done a couple of trip reviews for Western Caribbean on Freedom that are linked in my signature. The main difference w/ Allure is that there is no stop in Grand Cayman.

I love Freedom and love Western, but I am kind of the opposite as you because in February we will be doing Allure Eastern... :)

I would do the Western route. Labadee looks very nice from all of the pictures, and Grand Cayman is one of my favorites. You can use either Cozumel or Jamaica as a ship day. Most of the nature activities are in Ocho Rios, while a lot of the beach stuff is split between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Most of the resorts are in Montego Bay. So I think you'll get a good experience with the Western. I would say Eastern, as St.Maarten is tied with San Juan for my favorite port, and St.Thomas and Nassau always make fun days for activities, whether it be water based or land based, but you already have one booked.

Enjoy! :D

Hhmmm. This is a tough decision. I like the western route but with grand cayman. We did that on Freedom and eastern on Oasis. I love the Eastern route but the past few times I cruised to the Bahamas in the March it was warm but not hot. Water still a little chilly.

I've done a couple of trip reviews for Western Caribbean on Freedom that are linked in my signature. The main difference w/ Allure is that there is no stop in Grand Cayman.

I love Freedom and love Western, but I am kind of the opposite as you because in February we will be doing Allure Eastern... :)

I will read your trip reviews, thank you!

And yes, you're correct, the Allure does not stop in Grand Caymen. I've been to Grand Caymen, and loved it as well! The Freedom and the Allure in March both have the same amount of sea days, 3!

I would do the Western route. Labadee looks very nice from all of the pictures, and Grand Cayman is one of my favorites. You can use either Cozumel or Jamaica as a ship day. Most of the nature activities are in Ocho Rios, while a lot of the beach stuff is split between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Most of the resorts are in Montego Bay. So I think you'll get a good experience with the Western. I would say Eastern, as St.Maarten is tied with San Juan for my favorite port, and St.Thomas and Nassau always make fun days for activities, whether it be water based or land based, but you already have one booked.

Enjoy! :D

Labadee is the one Port that keeps pulling me back to the Allure/Western intinerary along with Jamaica! I love love love Cozumel, but I'm not sure about getting off alone with my boys. I've done it before alone with my boys and we did a Disney excursion.

As for Jamaica, I would never go alone, but I'm exploring private tours. I've done so many cruise ship excursions, and I've enjoyed them all, but I find them too short and rushed. We have a decent amount of time in Jamaica, so I would love to make the best of it (if I go this route)

I agree with you about the Bahamas. I go away every March with my kids, and it's been hot some years and cool others. The Bahamas is a hit or miss with weather!

I've been to San Juan a few times and enjoyed it, but I only ever got off the ship once at this Port. We do love the beach, but love adventure too!!

Thanks so much for your advice!

Sorry, after reading your post again I got yours mixed up with another post about the Bahamas..lol..my bad!

Edited by flinkerfrosch

Hhmmm. This is a tough decision. I like the western route but with grand cayman. We did that on Freedom and eastern on Oasis. I love the Eastern route but the past few times I cruised to the Bahamas in the March it was warm but not hot. Water still a little chilly.

Ya, no Grand Caymen on the Allure. I wanted to take them to the turtle farm, but that can be another cruise:)

And I totally agree with you about the Bahamas! Weather is a hit or miss in March, and it's the beginning of March as well, so who know!?

I will read your trip reviews, thank you!

And yes, you're correct, the Allure does not stop in Grand Caymen. I've been to Grand Caymen, and loved it as well! The Freedom and the Allure in March both have the same amount of sea days, 3!

Not true. We are on the Freedom this coming March and it has an extra port and one less sea day (only 2).

My choices are:

I think they would like both of them. We did the Allure last March. Your kids will love the extra activities on the Allure over the Freedom. The ship is THE destination over the ports. Love St. Maarten, not crazy about Jamaica or Nassau (that is personal preference thought). That said, we sail the Freedom this March because it has an extra port and 90% of the same activities as the Oasis class ships at a significantly lower price. The kids water splash/pool area is much better and larger on the Freedom class ships as well. We will miss Central Park, but that is more of a nice quiet area for the adults and a great way to move fore to aft on the ship. If you are going for the ports, I would say take the Freedom on the Western Caribbean.

Not true. We are on the Freedom this coming March and it has an extra port and one less sea day (only 2).

On my cruise (dates) the Freedom has 3 sea days. I'm talking about the March 6th sailing. On the March 13th (Western) their is 4 ports and yes, 2 sea days.

I think they would like both of them. We did the Allure last March. Your kids will love the extra activities on the Allure over the Freedom. The ship is THE destination over the ports. Love St. Maarten, not crazy about Jamaica or Nassau (that is personal preference thought). That said, we sail the Freedom this March because it has an extra port and 90% of the same activities as the Oasis class ships at a significantly lower price. The kids water splash/pool area is much better and larger on the Freedom class ships as well. We will miss Central Park, but that is more of a nice quiet area for the adults and a great way to move fore to aft on the ship. If you are going for the ports, I would say take the Freedom on the Western Caribbean.

Did you cruise with kids? If so, what were the ages of your kids if you don't mind? Was their any dance parties or anything like that happening on the Allure? My kids love to dance!

I'm not a fan of Nassau either, although I loved Blue Lagoon when we went!

The Western itinerary for my dates is sailing on the Allure and the Eastern is the Freedom...

As for Jamaica, I would never go alone, but I'm exploring private tours. I've done so many cruise ship excursions, and I've enjoyed them all, but I find them too short and rushed. We have a decent amount of time in Jamaica, so I would love to make the best of it (if I go this route)

If you get a chance to read through my pair of reviews, buried in the middle of each is my sections from Jamaica. Either with the day of the cruise or during the days you are at the resort, you can't go wrong with booking any type of custom tour with Javia Shaw from Knowjamaica tours! We have used them on both of our trips and they are awesome! I learned about them via this forum and for the price it is such a better deal than a sardine can ship tour...

If you get a chance to read through my pair of reviews, buried in the middle of each is my sections from Jamaica. Either with the day of the cruise or during the days you are at the resort, you can't go wrong with booking any type of custom tour with Javia Shaw from Knowjamaica tours! We have used them on both of our trips and they are awesome! I learned about them via this forum and for the price it is such a better deal than a sardine can ship tour...

I am reading your review now!! And I will definitely look into the private tour company you recommend :)

Not that it is the end all be all to make your decision, but CocoCay gets skipped due to weather more than RCL would prob like to admit. Most of the folks and staff I have asked about it guess somewhere in the 20-30% of the time. (could be way off and YMMV)

I never thought of that! That's a very good point, thank you!

It's like Disney...we're not always guaranteed to visit Castaway Cay if the weather doesn't cooperate. I've done 11 Disney cruises, and only once we had to skip it!

The percentage for missing Coco Cay is pretty high!

Freedom Eastern.

1) two sea days on the return so you can relax after ports

2) Maho beach to watch the planes land over your head

3) haven't been on allure, but Freedom has plenty for all ages and still feels like a ship.

We loved Freedom so much, we did a repeat in the same cabin. If you can get them 1400/1700 perfect corner aft D1 price but bigger than a jr suite. Plenty of room for the boys.

Good luck!

As others have said, tough decision. Good news is that you can't go wrong either way. I preferred the eastern itinerary (your kids would love the planes at Maho Beach). See my signature for my review of our Freedom eastern cruise last June. That said, I think the Allure trumps the eastern itinerary, especially with kids.

I'm not a big fan of Falmouth Jamaica, but we really enjoyed going to Mystic Mountain for the Zipline and bobsled when we docked at Ocho Rios a few years ago. It's a little bit of a hike from Falmouth but would be a good excursion for kids.