I'm confused - pre-existing condition waiver

Shmoo here

Well in our case I would gladly take a $200 penalty or change in fare to be able to move or postpone our cruise. The doctors are now considering removal of her enlarged spleen for quality of life improvements supposedly in early Feb. With her myleofibrosis and now pending removal of the spleen that carries a pretty high risk! The planned cruise is not until March 4th so that still leaves a lot of time for things, both good and bad, to change.

Weatherboy, you are today at 57 days prior to cruising. With most cruise lines your cancellation penalty is only the deposit amount, not the full payment. Would it be worthwhile for you to explore this option? Then you can rebook after the current situation is sorted.

It's whatever the required deposit is. If you paid more than that you're not risking the additional amount if you're in a situation where the deposit would he forfeited.

* I've only studied one cruise line's contract and it wasn't Celebrity, but the one I read says what I'm saying.

Thanks - actually we missed the deadline according to Celebrity and its now cancel for 50% of the full payment at this point.

If my MIL gets through the risky spleen removal in 2-3 weeks she stands a reasonable chance at being fairly stable for months to over a year so we are somewhat hopeful at this point.