New captain kate on summit

mcrcruiser

Was on the Summit for 2 weeks in December.

My view? a 100% marketing/sales advertisement for Celebrity!

Flounced all around the ship in a tight fitting tailored suit with high heels and necklaces.

Popped up everywhere there was a camera to gain a bit of publicity for the company.

By the pool at the volleyball

In the Martini bar

In the kids club making paper planes and trains?????????? :rolleyes:

In the shops helping to sell watches and jewellery :rolleyes:

I was expecting here to serve me dinner and turn the bed down by the end of the cruise....... I wonder who actually sailed the ship because it sure was not her.

I wonder who actually sailed the ship because it sure was not her.

The captain is more like a "CEO". Overseeing all aspects of the ship.

The one who is actually in charge of the bridge and navigates the ship is the second in command. However, when the ship is sailing, it's most likely being driven by the computer (on autopilot).

From my experience, all Celebrity captains, not just Captain Kate, are now "out and about" meeting with the guests in all venues. Years ago, you would see the captain on only rare occasions ..... not the case anymore.

We sailed with Captain Kate on her 1st cruise as Master of the ship. We ran into rough weather and a decision was made to cancel a port. We felt quite confident in her ability. Yes, she was all over the ship and always in uniform, even at the Captains table dinner.

I just cannot let this go. Some of you really need to get a grip. I have met this young woman and she is the real thing. Competent, naturally outgoing, and obviously loving her job. If some of you want to question Celebrities motives, go right ahead. But kindly stop the unkind personal comments. Flouncing? Please.

I would love to meet Captain Kate. It always makes me proud to see a woman in the driver's seat, be it a plane or a ship or a CEO of a big company. Once upon a time we were not even allowed to vote. We've come a long way! Three cheers for Kate and others like her.

The captain is more like a "CEO". Overseeing all aspects of the ship.

The one who is actually in charge of the bridge and navigates the ship is the second in command. However, when the ship is sailing, it's most likely being driven by the computer (on autopilot).

This is very accurate. We were given a tour of the bridge and they were putting in the course for a cruise coming up in one year's time to Australia. Just think about auto-pilot.

Should also be pointed out that she had her first "crisis" a few weeks ago with the people killed and injured on the excursion. From all reports she handled it well, Celebrity in the past has had some black marks as far as publicity on occasion when these things have happened.

Will Captain Leo be back by Jan 16th? Ontario Cruiser

Capt. Leo is currently on the Equinox. He was with us in November - and what a pleasant person! "The voice from above". :) I don't think Capt. Kate's replacement is currently known, but Capt. Leo will most likely be going on vacation sometime in January.

I would love to meet Captain Kate. It always makes me proud to see a woman in the driver's seat, be it a plane or a ship or a CEO of a big company. Once upon a time we were not even allowed to vote. We've come a long way! Three cheers for Kate and others like her.

Agreed!

Flounced all around the ship in a tight fitting tailored suit with high heels and necklaces.

Popped up everywhere there was a camera to gain a bit of publicity for the company.

By the pool at the volleyball

In the Martini bar

In the kids club making paper planes and trains?????????? :rolleyes:

In the shops helping to sell watches and jewellery :rolleyes:

I was expecting here to serve me dinner and turn the bed down by the end of the cruise....... I wonder who actually sailed the ship because it sure was not her.

Sounds like Capt. Kate takes pride in the way she looks and enjoys her job. Imagine that! No matter the Cruise line we're Cruising with we've noticed the senior staff out and about more often and engaging with their guests.

From my experience, all Celebrity captains, not just Captain Kate, are now "out and about" meeting with the guests in all venues. Years ago, you would see the captain on only rare occasions ..... not the case anymore.

That's a fair point. Years ago, you'd rarely see Captains on most Cruise ships, other than a few selected functions. These days, most Captains are far more personable & visible. From what I've observed, guests generally enjoy meeting the Captain, so it makes sense.

For those who worry about the Captain being away from the bridge... there's plenty of other officers who are perfectly capable of handling things. If there's an emergency, the Captain can be reached 24/7.

It's truly amazing to have read a very few of the silly comments on this thread. All accounts have Captain Kate as an extremely qualified and personable Captain. If you think this is a marketing ploy ? I'd suggest you think again. She's earned this.

Looking forward to meeting Captain Kate on a future Celebrity cruise - hopefully in 2016.

We sailed on Summit in October with Captain Kate at he helm and I've hesitated to comment, but since there is a thread ...

We weren't impressed with the persona she has chosen to present. On stage, she comments on her expensive suits, the dragon nails, the expense of maintaining herself. The Louboutin heels were totally over the top when the ship had any motion. I know little of her experience because she chose to focus on her youth & appearance when she introduced herself.

It didn't inspire any confidence.

Look, I'm a woman. I've worked for and with women in high powered roles so this has nothing to do with sexism. If a male captain stood on stage and preened, then hung out by the pool in his trunks & a tank top, I'd say the same thing.

It just seems like a PR ploy, and I'm disappointed in Celebrity.

Edited by JanineM

All I can say is, wow.

Edited by Jade13

We sailed on Summit in October with Captain Kate at he helm and I've hesitated to comment, but since there is a thread ...

We weren't impressed with the persona she has chosen to present. On stage, she comments on her expensive suits, the dragon nails, the expense of maintaining herself. The Louboutin heels were totally over the top when the ship had any motion. I know little of her experience because she chose to focus on her youth & appearance when she introduced herself.

It didn't inspire any confidence.

That routine was obviously intended as a joke, the same one that youthful looking Captain Leo uses, with the punch line being

- - For the price you pay, this is the captain you get.

She undoubtedly picked it up from him, having spent several weeks on board the Summit with him while he was in charge before she took over.

Interesting to observe the difference in passenger reaction when it came from a man and when it came from a woman.

The captain's opening toast speech from the theater stage is intended to welcome and entertain the passengers, not to recite a resume of credentials.

I had the impression that the company encourages her to be highly visible throughout the ship and engage in all the PR stuff as it gives them good publicity, having the first American female cruise ship captain.

They certainly had cameras on her throughout the cruise, wherever she went.