Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

We have no plans for Columbia...short day....all aboard at 12:30

Wow, that's hardly worth stop for that short of a day. One would think they could extend that given the two tender ports being skipped.

Wow, that's hardly worth stop for that short of a day. One would think they could extend that given the two tender ports being skipped.

They probably need buffer to ensure they don't miss their canal reservation time

Another change from world. No port agent info cards the night before. Name and number of port agent is not in on location, not in Explorer Brochure. Will see if Front Desk will have info readily available. I always like to have their phone number just in case. They are your only line of communication to the ship when in port.

Wonder if you could call Seattle in emergency and get transferred?

They probably need buffer to ensure they don't miss their canal reservation time

Another change from world. No port agent info cards the night before. Name and number of port agent is not in on location, not in Explorer Brochure. Will see if Front Desk will have info readily available. I always like to have their phone number just in case. They are your only line of communication to the ship when in port.

Port agent info is in Explorers Brochure. I missed it.

I am can't figure out why they stopped it. ???

Good point, did not think about the canal reservation.

I have enjoyed blog very much. I have been following yours as well as Bill and Mary Ann's plus Captain Mercer's. It is interesting to see the different perspective you have as compared to Bill and Mary Ann who have been on numerous Grand Cruises. I just found the blog of a couple of sisters who were on a cruise with us several years ago and now one of the sisters is a lecturer on the cruise you are on. Small World!

I have enjoyed blog very much. I have been following yours as well as Bill and Mary Ann's plus Captain Mercer's. It is interesting to see the different perspective you have as compared to Bill and Mary Ann who have been on numerous Grand Cruises. I just found the blog of a couple of sisters who were on a cruise with us several years ago and now one of the sisters is a lecturer on the cruise you are on. Small World!

A World Cruise has so many choices and variety, that no two people will choose the same experiences. So much to choose from. That's what makes a Grand World Voyage Special.

Day 120, Cartagena, Colombia

Today would be a short day in Cartagena, Columbia. We would arrive pier side at 7 am and the all aboard was 12:30. We didn’t sign up for any shore excursions but decided to explore something other than the typical tourist areas.

As normal we started our day with a hot room service breakfast. This is something we enjoy as we like to linger in our cabin as the day gets started. There are a few differences in room service as compared to the Grand Voyage. Missing from our tray were fresh flowers and salt and pepper shakers which are replaced by the small salt and pepper bags.

We managed to get moving around 9:45 and were off the ship by 10 am. On the Grand World Voyage we would receive a small card the night before each port with some helpful phrases, a currency conversion table and the name and phone number of the port agent. On normal cruises, we don’t get a card, but the name of the port agent is listed in the Explorers Pamphlet that is distributed before each cruise. It is important to always have the name and phone number of the port agent when you go ashore as this is the best way to contact the ship if you run into any trouble or delays when ashore.

We were surprised to see a shuttle bus waiting for us when we left the ship as we were informed the night before that there wasn’t any shuttle bus. As it turns out, the shuttle bus only takes you to a small cruise terminal maybe ½ mile away over level ground that is easily walkable. No need to wait for a shuttle bus if you can handle walking a ¼ mile.

The cruise terminal is very nice. They have a complete souvenir shop selling T shirts, post cards, snacks, jewelry, bags and other similar items. I couldn’t think of a single item that the typical tourist may want that wasn’t available here. We bought some post cards and stamps and spent a few minutes to write them and then drop them in the mail. It was a one stop shop for buying stamps and mailing post cards.

Cruise-Terminal.gif

They had some of the Robin Ruth bags that Judy collects but none of the particular style we were looking for. We asked one of the clerks if there was a shopping center nearby with more stores. She referred us to the Caribe Plaza which was a short cab ride away. Given more time, we could have walked, it was maybe 1 and 1/4 miles, but we were pressed for time so decided to take a cab. Cartagena has UBER so I was able to get a fare estimate to the mall ($5.00) and the cars were about 4 minutes away. Once we left the main terminal we were surrounded by Taxi drivers wanting to take us to Old Town $20 fixed price (fare listed on a sign posted on a poll). Since we were only going a few miles we started to negotiate and prices started at $20 – quickly dropping to $10 but I kept walking since UBER was only $5. I probably could have found one here for $5 but I wanted to try UBER so I kept walking another hundred yards or so to the main street so an UBER driver could reach us. There were a few cabs here as well and I found one who would take me to the mall, wait for me and then bring me back for $5 each way.

After a short drive, we arrived at Caribe Plaza, a very modern multi story mall. There weren’t any tourists here as this is where the locals shop. We spent about 30 minutes walking up and down the center section of each level and popped into a few stores to check out what was for sale. As is the case almost everywhere in the world anymore, everything for sale is the same as everywhere else. Had the stores signs been in English, we could have been in San Diego and not felt out of place. We didn’t find the bags we were looking for so we headed back to where our driver dropped us off and he was waiting for us as expected. After our short drive back to the Terminal, he accepted our negotiated $10 fare without further issue so I gave him a little extra on top of that. Much different than Sri Lanka where, as you remember, taxi drivers could not be trusted.

Once back in the Terminal we wandered about the wonderful garden that was full of Parrots and Peacocks. We enjoyed watching one of the male peacocks fully open his feathers in an effort to impress a nearby female. Not sure if she was impressed as he wandered off by himself.

IMG_5393.gif

There was interesting sign that stated “Touch the birds at your own risk” instead of what you would see in the USA, “Touching birds punishable by law”. The rest of the world, for better or worse, is far more lenient with tourists touching artifacts and animals than you will experience in the USA.

The Terminal had WiFi – not free but available for $3 for 1 Hour or $5 for 2 Hours. I didn’t try it so I don’t know how fast it may have been.

We couldn’t resist getting a Frozen Mango Slurpee from a vendor near the birds who would add a shot of tequila for $2. It was very good.

There wasn’t a shuttle bus waiting for us at the terminal so we walked back to the ship – about 10 minutes away.

Sail Away was from 12:30 to 1:30 and was quite hot. We found a table in the shade with an acquaintance from the world cruise. We learned from her that someone she knew accumulated 8000 grand dollars during the world cruise without pooling any from other people. He had nearly perfect attendance at every event that gave out dollars and occasionally you get some big winners – for example there was one time you could get 1000 dollars for a successful half-court basketball shot.

Dive-In Burgers and Hot Dogs sounded really good, so I went forward to the main pool and placed my order. They estimated a 20 minute wait and provided a pager so they can alert you when the order is complete. I wasn’t sure if the pager would reach back to the Seaview pool and after 20 minutes I headed back to check on my order. As I got halfway thru the LIDO, the pager started going off so I learned that may represent the outer range of the Dive-In pager. The Burger and Hot Dog were outstanding and we sat by the pool for another hour, until the ship turned and we were now receiving full sun. It was time to head back to our cabin and get ready for the rest of the day.

There weren’t enough people to run a Texas Hold’em tournament, so I played 3 card poker for a bit then headed off to the Queen’s Lounge to listen to Location Guide Wallis’s overview of what we will see tomorrow as we transit the Panama Canal. Her talk was outstanding and she provided some new information to me about the canal and its construction.

I enjoyed a nice nap prior to Dinner where we were joined by the 4 HAL cast singers: Kate, Kara, Greg and Wesley. Rick, Presty’s replacement as the assistance dining room manager, was able to move us to a 10 top so the 6 regulars would fit with our 4 guest easier than trying to wedge us into a 8 top. We enjoyed our dinner with this wonderful group of entertainers and learning more about their interesting backgrounds and how they came to start working on Cruise ships. This was their first contract for all and for some it was the first time on a cruise ship period.

Bernie Fields was the guest entertainer and was outstanding once again. We saw his show on April 1st and a few days later for a special Spotlight Show. We always enjoying seeing the best entertainers again and again as talented folks like Bernie Fields always put on a spectacular show.

Bernie-Fields.gif

More on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com

Not sure about that. We are on the reverse in Jan after the canal. Still a half day. Seems all ships do that there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good advice. I always carry the contact details for the port agent, after we, and others, had difficulty finding the correct entrance (any entrance) to the wharf where the ship was berthed in Lisbon.

After reading your blog, I agree with your comment that World Cruises and Grand Cruises seem to offer better value, with their extra inclusions.

Edited by MMDown Under

"Not sure about that. We are on the reverse in Jan after the canal. Still a half day. Seems all ships do that there."

I have been to Cartagena twice, both on Celebrity. These cruises were not part of a transit of the canal. We spent a whole day there each time. First we did a full day tour of the city and this last fall we did a canoe ride in a Mangrove swamp.

"Not sure about that. We are on the reverse in Jan after the canal. Still a half day. Seems all ships do that there."

I have been to Cartagena twice, both on Celebrity. These cruises were not part of a transit of the canal. We spent a whole day there each time. First we did a full day tour of the city and this last fall we did a canoe ride in a Mangrove swamp.

Ok. Might be a HAL thing. I notice that all the time they stop there it's for a half day. We are doing a 4 hour walking tour. I've been told it's a beautiful city and would not miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Grand Voyages are a premium product with a price premium. Worth it to me. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite honestly that is what HAL should concentrate on as a business model. They are the best mass market cruise line for long term or Voyages cruises. Forget trying to out do Carnival in the Caribbean, use smaller ships on longer voyages with unique itineraries while charging a modest premium. The Prinsendam is the poster child for this and has no problem filling up.

There, I feel better :p, sorry for the rant Pete.

Day 121, Transiting the Panama Canal

We were up before the sun to watch our approach to the Gatun Locks. Transiting the Panama Canal is always exciting regardless of how many times I have done it before and always worth getting up a little early to watch our approach.

We went to the observation platform on Deck 6 right below the bridge. Orange juice, coffee and Panama Canal rolls were available and were being enjoyed by all the guests. A travel agency with a large group on board was hosting Champagne and Mimosas off in the corner. It seemed that half the people on this deck were associated with this particular group.

Panama-Canal-Roll.gif

As we approached the entrance to the locks we watched the mobile car bridge swing away followed by the large doors of the lock. We were soon connected to the centering mules on either side of the canal and then we proceeded inside the lock and slowing to a stop. At this point we walked all the way aft were the observation deck was deserted and we were able to see the doors close behind us. Something to keep in mind for future travelers if you want to see the doors move closer up and with less people around.

The process repeated itself until we were at the level of Gatun Lake and we moved on toward the lake where the traffic going the other direction would pass. One interesting factoid is that the Canal itself generally runs north south and the Pacific Exit is actually further east than the Atlantic Entrance.

Today was the Panama Canal Crocodile Swim at 11:00 in the Seaview Pool. I missed the chance to do this on the world cruise and didn’t want to pass on it this time. Everyone interested assembled near the pool and signed up on a list with Show Hosts Joey or Iris. Once sign-up was complete we all gathered round the pool and proceeded to jump in one at a time after being recognized by Joey. There were a few no shows after signing up and one woman elected not to enter the pool even though she was sitting alongside with her feet in the water.

Croc-Jump.gif

After my name was called I jumped into the pool with my GoPro taking a selfie video all the way in. The water temperature was refreshing, not too warm or too cold. One of the simple pleasures of cruising is the opportunity to take part of fun and silly events like these.

We spent midday cruising thru Gatun Lake before we entered the channel leading to the Pedro Miguel locks and later the Mira Flores Locks and ultimately the Pacific Ocean. One of the fun parts of this transit is when you pass by the Panama Canal Visitors Center and get to wave and yell at the tourists out on the visitors platforms. A ships photographer is usually roaming the area right next to the ship taking pictures of passengers waving down to the crowds. If you are interested in this type of photo, keep an eye out for the ship photographers during this part of the transit.

We spent most of the afternoon in our cabin observing the transit from our Verandah, with the port side cabins being preferable for this transit.

As we exited the last set of locks we went aft to Deck 7 which offers an excellent vantage point that is also in the shade. After a bit we went up to the Seaview pool to look at the progress on the new set of locks under construction to the west of our position.

Off in the distance you could see the skyline of Panama City. It seems like ages ago that we were going to spent the night here last January instead of continuing into the Pacific and turning north.

Bernie Fields, the fantastic Harmonica player we met back in April and saw again last night would be our guest for dinner this evening. Our table was light as 3 of our regulars went to the Pinnacle Grill, but the 4 of us had a wonderful time catching up since our last dinner and we enjoyed learning a little more about his background. Bernie is from Montreal and an avid Hockey fan so we were able to discuss our trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame last year.

Terry Davies, The Piano Man, returned to the main stage with his outstanding tribute show to Elton John and Billy Joel. This is the second time we have seen his show in as many weeks and they did not disappoint. This show is fantastic and not to be missed. We were fortunate to have them stay on the ship so we could see them again. Terry’s vocals are incredible and his piano playing amazing. The backup singers are the Abba Fab singers who were wonderful and dazzled the audience with their infectious smiles. The high energy show was the perfect blend of audience participation and entertainment and everyone left the Queen’s Lounge with big smiles. The final song “Piano Man” brought the crowd to its feet with a well-deserved standing ovation. We plan to see them again in Coronado, California, July 24th. Check out the blog http://www.theinsidecabin.com for some links.

The-Piano-Man.gif

Pete, we saw your photo of the singers at your table and saw that you sit with Brad and Gloria. Please tell them hello for us and that we hope they'll be doing arts and crafts on the 2017 WC.

Pete, we saw your photo of the singers at your table and saw that you sit with Brad and Gloria. Please tell them hello for us and that we hope they'll be doing arts and crafts on the 2017 WC.

We will pass along your Hello. They won't know about Crafts till Sept.