Join Pete and Judy on their FIRST World Cruise on the Amsterdam

The-Inside-Cabin

I always take a screen shot of the page that comes up when you log off. If you ever have minutes "vanish" it is a way to show you logged off (I had this happen and got the minutes back).

Good idea....I also switch to airplane mode... The first thing they do if you complain is check to see if there was any activity after you claimed to log off. If you thought you logged off, but really didn't, then there may still be background activity on your connection. Going to airplane mode will stop all that as another backup.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information you have given us throughout your cruise!!

I have never heard of a travel router. I went on Amazon and found the exact one you have (before I looked at your blog).

My question is this....can I just use it to transfer photos from my iPhone to a flash drive? This would solve my backup dilemma without having to buy a laptop. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Yes, you can use the HooToo to transfer photos from you Ipad to a USB via the HooToo. It is a little slow, but workable. Make sure you figure out how to do it before you leave on your trip. I would also back it up to a second USB before I deleted from IPAD

Yes, you can use the HooToo to transfer photos from you Ipad to a USB via the HooToo. It is a little slow, but workable. Make sure you figure out how to do it before you leave on your trip. I would also back it up to a second USB before I deleted from IPAD

I just ordered the Hoo Too 32 GB flash drive for the iPhone. I have plenty of storage on both my phone and iPad but I wanted something to back them up. I am not one to delete until everything is backed up six ways to Sunday. If it works fine, I'll order a second one. :D

Cruising for 7 weeks in the South Pacific and knowing how long it takes to update to the iCloud and/or Amazon, I needed another option.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for getting me headed in the right direction.

Cheers, Denise

Here's something we used on our recent European trip. We bought a Glocalme device off Amazon. It's essentially a world SIM card that finds the local cell service and connects to it. We then can tether 5 devices to it and use data at 3 cents per megabyte. With lots of port stops it worked well for us. If we were going to be one country for an extended period of time, I'd prefer to get a local SIM card.

Tim in Burien, WA

Here's something we used on our recent European trip. We bought a Glocalme device off Amazon. It's essentially a world SIM card that finds the local cell service and connects to it. We then can tether 5 devices to it and use data at 3 cents per megabyte. With lots of port stops it worked well for us. If we were going to be one country for an extended period of time, I'd prefer to get a local SIM card.

Tim in Burien, WA

Thanks for the post....I was thinking of picking one up myself. Some reviews say the Glocalme uses data even when not connected ....did you experience any of this? Which model did you get?

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Thanks for the post....I was thinking of picking one up myself. Some reviews say the Glocalme uses data even when not connected ....did you experience any of this? Which model did you get?

I purchased the 3G model. My wife and I got 3 weeks out of 1 gig of data with 2 iPhones hooked up, checking email, FB, and the like. I always shut the unit off when not using it. If there was any data bleed, I sure didn't notice it or it was very minor. One definitely wouldn't want to watch movies or do extensive data uploads or downloads. But it's great for early morning or late afternoon surfing while in or near port. We'll test it again in the fall on the Maasdam and in the spring on the Volendam. I have a pretty extensive review of the unit on Amazon.

Tim in Burien, WA

Any tricks for uploading pictures to a blog? I did my first blog this spring and thought I had everything tested but I really struggled uploading pictures. I was using blogger and the BlogPad Pro app on my Ipad.

Any tricks for uploading pictures to a blog? I did my first blog this spring and thought I had everything tested but I really struggled uploading pictures. I was using blogger and the BlogPad Pro app on my Ipad.

I update my blogger blog by sending an email to it. I can include pictures along with the text.

My process is to compose the text in Evernote offline, copy the text from Evernote to an email, insert any desired pictures, and send when I have an Internet connection. It worked extremely well during our recent Koningsdam cruise and European trip.

Tim in Burien, WA

I have posted a blog on two cruises. I write the text offline in a word processor app. I reduce the size of photos using a photo editor app. I wait until after 11pm to go online and upload everything to Wordpress. This has worked well for me.

I update my blogger blog by sending an email to it. I can include pictures along with the text.

My process is to compose the text in Evernote offline, copy the text from Evernote to an email, insert any desired pictures, and send when I have an Internet connection.

Tim in Burien, WA

So what email address do you use Tim? Will it go directly to the blogger posts as a draft?

There used to be an easy logger app for your phone, but that app doesn't exist any longer (or in a form I recognize)

Mary

So what email address do you use Tim? Will it go directly to the blogger posts as a draft?

There used to be an easy logger app for your phone, but that app doesn't exist any longer (or in a form I recognize)

Mary

On blogger.com, they describe the process (which is easy). Essentially it's your address associated with blogger and a unique additional word. Mine is tkbowman.uniqueword@blogger.com. BUT it must be set up first in order to have the emails post. I have mine set to automatically post. I can go back later and edit the post if necessary. Only one blog at a time can use this process.

HTH,

Tim in Burien, WA

On blogger.com, they describe the process (which is easy). Essentially it's your address associated with blogger and a unique additional word. Mine is tkbowman.uniqueword@blogger.com. BUT it must be set up first in order to have the emails post. I have mine set to automatically post. I can go back later and edit the post if necessary. Only one blog at a time can use this process.

HTH,

Tim in Burien, WA

Under Wordpress it can be done with multiple blogs. That "uniqueword" is generated by Wordpress and is different for each blog.

Roy

Thanks for the great tips. I will have to investigate this:

For my blog (which in the past has all been done on an iPad) on blogspot, I first resize the photos using an app called iResize. I then upload them to Picasa Web Album. Then in the blog I click on the "insert image" icon.

Recently (sometime this year?), blogspot started allowing you to upload pictures stored on your PC directly to your blog without going through a photo host site. As of March (the last time I checked) this was not available on an iPad. Not sure if it works on a regular Apple computer.

For my blog (which in the past has all been done on an iPad) on blogspot, I first resize the photos using an app called iResize. I then upload them to Picasa Web Album. Then in the blog I click on the "insert image" icon.

Recently (sometime this year?), blogspot started allowing you to upload pictures stored on your PC directly to your blog without going through a photo host site. As of March (the last time I checked) this was not available on an iPad. Not sure if it works on a regular Apple computer.

I did it frequently from my iPhone earlier this summer.

Tim in Burien, WA

Pete & Judy, would you please come back to this thread to remind us when you are heading off on your Viking cruise? If you will be blogging I would sure like to follow along with you.

Thank you for sharing!

Arie

Thanks for the great tips. I will have to investigate this:

This works great, of course the true test will be on ship Internet, thanks for the pointer.

Sorry Pete for sidetracking the thread.

Pete & Judy, would you please come back to this thread to remind us when you are heading off on your Viking cruise? If you will be blogging I would sure like to follow along with you.

Thank you for sharing!

Arie

We leave August 5th for our 15 day Baltic Cruise on the Viking Star. We spend a week in Europe afterwards then come back on the Queen Mary. Will be discussing the differences between Viking, Cunard and Holland

We leave August 5th for our 15 day Baltic Cruise on the Viking Star. We spend a week in Europe afterwards then come back on the Queen Mary. Will be discussing the differences between Viking, Cunard and Holland

Will you blog during all segments? I confess, I miss your daily posts. Bet I am not the only one.

Having just experienced the QM2 in May, I will be interested in hearing your comparisons between that ship and HAL's ships. She has been totally renovated, so you will the advantage of a totally new Kings Court (Lido, to us), as well as other areas. She is a beautiful ship and one that handles the North Atlantic beautifully. Will look forward to your report.

• 1 month later...
Having just experienced the QM2 in May, I will be interested in hearing your comparisons between that ship and HAL's ships. She has been totally renovated, so you will the advantage of a totally new Kings Court (Lido, to us), as well as other areas. She is a beautiful ship and one that handles the North Atlantic beautifully. Will look forward to your report.

I posted the day of my QM2 voyage on the Cunard page HERE as well as on the blog at http://www.theinsidecabin.com