Royal Clipper - Launch Overhead, good or bad?

websailor

We are so excited since we just booked our first cruise on the Royal Clipper, the BVI Christmas trip. Since we've never been on board before, we don't quite know the cabins. We booked Cabin 312 on the Main Deck and just noticed that the ship's Launch is right above us (or at least we think it is).

Is this good or bad?

We already figure that we shouldn't be on our tiny balcony when they lower the Launch. I was thinking it might be nice to have the shade and perhaps some shelter from the rain, but we also wouldn't be able to look up and see the stars.

Anyone have any experience with such a cabin or any thoughts on this?

In 2011 some friends of ours stayed in 312 or close by and, having been in their cabin, my rather hazy recollection is that you have a view and can get some shade from the boats you mentioned. However the chances are that you will not spend much time in your cabin / on the balcony.

Ah - the stars above. To get you started the Clipper way - suggest that on your first night you go in to dinner at 7.30 (which is when it starts) and be out by, say, 9.45. Make your way up to the area next to the open part of the bridge ready for sailaway at 10.00 p.m. The sails are being raised as the ship leaves the port and within a few minutes there you are in the warm tropical breeze, with the sails above driving the ship and the stars shining above. Listen as well as watch as the ship leaves the port. It can "get you" - you would not be the first to shed a few tears.

As indicated above we did the BVI's on the Royal Clipper in 2011 and I still have the daily programmes (which are delivered to your cabin the previous afternoon / evening) - thus I may be able to answer any questions you may have.

A few more thoughts for your itinerary:-

White Bay - Jost van Dyke. The Soggy Dollar Bar - a famous place for yachties to go to.

North Sound - Virgin Gorda. The Bitter End Yacht Club (actually a hotel and restaurant) - another leading "destination" (Get the "T" shirt!!)

Antigua - Visit the historic Nelson's Dockyard - about 10 minutes walk from where you are normally tendered ashore. Small entry fee. Couple of nice cafes there. There is also a small but very interesting museum there which, strangely, most people walk by. I recommend a visit to that museum.

Iles des Saintes - Walk over to the other side of the island. Where you are usually tendered ashore then (facing inland) turn right. A short distance along there is a road off to the left - take that (check with the locals that you have the correct road).Walk to the other side - takes about half an hour. Beautiful beach there with shade under the palms. Can swim / snorkel there. Take your camera to get some super shots from along that road of the RC at anchor. We tend to do that in the morning and get back to the main area in time for a snack / lunch in one of the cafes / restaurants there before returning to the ship.

St. Lucia - Marigot Bay. At the RC Marigot Bay stop (it "hovers" there as the sea is too deep to anchor) there may be an opportunity to go ashore (on a RIB) to the beach adjacent to the spot where one of the Pitons drops down in to the sea - and keeps going down. My best ever snorkelling there.

We are so excited since we just booked our first cruise on the Royal Clipper, the BVI Christmas trip. Since we've never been on board before, we don't quite know the cabins. We booked Cabin 312 on the Main Deck and just noticed that the ship's Launch is right above us (or at least we think it is).

Is this good or bad?

We already figure that we shouldn't be on our tiny balcony when they lower the Launch. I was thinking it might be nice to have the shade and perhaps some shelter from the rain, but we also wouldn't be able to look up and see the stars.

Anyone have any experience with such a cabin or any thoughts on this?

It is a fantastic cruise. You have chosen well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Iles des Saintes - Walk over to the other side of the island. Where you are usually tendered ashore then (facing inland) turn right. A short distance along there is a road off to the left - take that (check with the locals that you have the correct road).Walk to the other side - takes about half an hour. Beautiful beach there with shade under the palms. Can swim / snorkel there. Take your camera to get some super shots from along that road of the RC at anchor. We tend to do that in the morning and get back to the main area in time for a snack / lunch in one of the cafes / restaurants there before returning to the ship.

Can you see any of the locations used in the filming of "Death in Paradise"?