Have to cancel cruise. Always get insurance.

fig414

Sorry to say we have had to cancel our cruise. My wife got 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her foot in an accident at work. She is a chef and was burned pretty bad. She may have to have skin graft surgery this week and her doctor told us to cancel. Thank God for insurance as we got all our money back. She is more upset about missing our 2 week vacation than the foot which will probably be fine according to the plastic surgeon.

Since finding this site in January, I have seen a few questions about insurance and I read them all. This will be our 4th cruise and we always opted for insurance. It's kind of funny because we always thought it was because something might happen to someone in our family because we are in our mid forties and you never know what might happen to our parents and such. It wouldn't be to us of course. The $99.00 PP seems a little much but we just include it in the cost and don't think about it.

It's truly amazing that my wife is more upset about our vacation than her foot which as I said will probably be OK. We haven't been on a cruise, for various reasons, in almost 4 years. The build up was great. Here I go, sorry.....

Nope I'm not going to do it. My views will have to wait, this will be to all who ask about the insurance factor. GET IT.

We are looking at Sept. to reschedule as we don't believe in cuising during summer months.

I can't believe I have to keep reading this great site for 5 more months. I thought I was finished with you in 3 weeks.

Keep up the good work and I'm sorry for bloviating.

Fig

Caribbean Princess 5/15

Awww Fig, tell your wife I'm so sorry. The positive is that you did have insurance and are ONLY in your mid-forties. You have many many more years to fit in all those cruises. Are you are going on Caribbean Princess again? Tell your wife I'll take extra pics in her honor icon_biggrin.gif. What would she like to see?

Sharon

Elation 05/98

Paradise 04/99

Destiny 10/99

Inspiration 05/00

Enchantment of the Seas 10/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 03/01

Carnival Spirit 05/01

Grandeur of the Seas 11/01

Ocean Princess 04/02

Jubilee 09/02

Carnival Conquest 03/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/08/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 02/29/04-Daughter's Wedding

Caribbean Princess 06/05/04

Cast off the ropes, cast off your cares...we're outta here

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 <marquee>SUNSHINE DAYDREAM...GOIN' WHERE THE CLIMATE SUITS MY CLOTHES</marquee>

Fig, sorry about your wife's foot and sorry you'll have to miss your cruise. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Having only been on one cruise, I'm a firm believer in insurance as well. I'm relatively young (early 30's) and rarely get sick. I took the insurance just as a precaution. As luck would have it, I caught a respiratory infection on the flight down to San Juan. The guy behind me was hacking up a lung and I sat there the whole flight just knowing I'd get whatever he had. Long story short, I did get it and I went to the ship's medical center on the first day. They gave me antibiotics that stopped my coughing and had me feeling better within a couple days, so at least my whole cruise wasn't ruined. Price tag: $344 (consultation, tests, medication). All was reimbursed within three weeks after I got home and filed the claim papers. Well worth it since my premium was something like $50.

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800  till Sapphire Princess

Hope your wife is feeling better soon!

We had to cancel once a few days before we were scheduled to leave. We got everything back from insurance except for the cost of insurance. We will always buy insurance - vacations are just too costly to risk losing everything.

Hi Fig. So sorry about your wife. Glad you had insurance. You can stay with us until the next cruise, and I hope you are not done with us after that. Lots of new people coming aboard, and they have a lot of questions, and you can help us with that. We are a family Fig. Please hang around. icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Fig, so sorry about your wife. I can relate to her being more upset about missing the cruise than her foot though. I don't think any other type of vacation brings out the emotions cruising does. I think you should book the Sept. 25th cruise on the CP and join us. icon_biggrin.gif Hope your wife's recovery is speedy and that she feels better soon.

Blessings to you!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norway 5/11

Sorry to hear about the burn, I'm a caterer and behind the stoves a lot, so I feel for her. Glad her foot will be fine.

You know, I'm only on my second cruise but we haven't gotten travel insurance. I figure over the next 20 years of cruising (hopefully more, but let's be conservative here) I may have to cancel once, so paying for insurance year after year is about the same as losing your money once in 20 years, don't you think? Or am I underestimating the number of times I'll have to cancel?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Jolimont - your calculations may be accurate for canceling a cruise but have you considered an accident on a cruise. A co-worker's friend was hit by a car while in the Caribbean (in her 30's and very healthy - can happen to anyone) - she had to take a medic-flight back to the US for treatment. It cost her $25,000 for that flight (plus another $40,000 for medical). If it wasn't for insurance, she would have had to file bankruptcy.

I personally can't afford to pay a bill for something like this.

Dear fig & wife,

So sorry to hear about the burned foot and the cancellation of the cruise. Take care of the foot and the cruise will be all that much sweeter in Sept. Please come back and tell us all about the cruise, too! We'll all be thinking of you and sending prayers.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

Speedy recovery to your wife, and then bon voyage!! We've done a lot of traveling and always buy insurance. My fear has always been what if something happens while on tour or on a cruise. Getting back home is terribly expensive. Insurance gives one peace of mind and well worth the money. I won't go into it here -- it's too long a story, but I have friends who had an accident while on a cruise and had to leave the ship in St. Lucia and then find their way home after agonizing there. It was extremely costly, and it was the first time they did NOT buy insurance. Ouch!

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lidi:

I think you should book the Sept. 25th cruise on the CP and join us. icon_biggrin.gif Hope your wife's recovery is speedy and that she feels better soon.

Blessings to you!

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norway 5/11

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will also be on the CP on the 25th so I agree with her recommendation. Hope to see you there.

Sorry for your wife's injury. Thank you for posting as a lot of people will read this and see that insurance is while worth it. I always buy it and most time never use it. However, recently it has come in handy for different things, broken scooter, death in family, and sudden illness while in FL (I'm from Canada). I had to fly home when I became ill. I went to the VA hospital (ex military) and they helped me arrange a flight back home. I always got back what I did not use plus and medical expenses. The most I have bee out is $200.00 (Cdn) for my insurance.

This will show other who are young and healthy that they may need insurance too. God bless your wife with a fast recovery.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Well it's a good point about accidents away from home, those can happen to anyone. And honestly I have no idea if my private health insurance or home owner's or even Amex carries any provisions for flying me home, so I'll check into that.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

I have been getting insurance for one principal reason, that being two elderly parents, and you never know what's going to happen and when.

However, the more I thought about it the better the "insurance" concept became -- i.e., MedVac out of an Island; a "simple" trip to the Ship's Doctor; trip delay from the Northeast (even though we go at least a day ahead of time); lost luggage, etc., etc...... Plus (an important plus) it gives one peace of mind!!

Winds up being about 4-5% of the cost of the Flights and Cruise, which is short-money.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;1;22;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Serenade of the Seas

I buy the Princess insurance. The details are in their brochures. When I use AAA as a TA, I buy theirs. It's cheaper.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

I've already paid for my cruise in full. Can I still buy insurance thru insuremytrip.com? I know that I can't get it thru Princess now.

My sister just today told me about a friend who was on a family cruise over spring break. The father(fairly young) had a heart attack and had to go to Grand Caymen to be flown to the U.S. for bypass surgery! Don't know if he had insurance or not.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03

Victory 12/03

Golden Princess 4/04 Golden Princess 6/04

Another vote (never popular) for passing on insurance.

Feel free to do it but understand there is a sound financial argument for those who do not.

This thread always boils down (sorry about foot) to emotion and happenstance vs. statistics and hard numbers.

NO ONE ever switches sides.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

srphnx -

Actually, I've seen people switch sides AFTER something happens where thet wish they had purchased the insurance and were out a lot of money.

I've never seen the people who get insurance switch to not getting it, though.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

Archived