Public bus to 7 mile beach

h-sar

Huge thanks goes out to everyone who has posted here about the public buses that go to 7 mile Beach. We were in Grand Cayman last week and caught the bus after a five-minute walk away from the port. It was 2.50 per person one way and incredibly easy to figure out. The main terminal is by the library which is a couple of blocks away from the port. We took a left out of the port, missed the turn to the library, and kept walking straight on the street parallel to the water which was on our left. About three blocks away from the port, we saw a public bus coming toward us and waved it down. The driver immediately stopped and picked us up. I was later told by the locals that you do not have to wait at a designated bus stop. Just wave down the small buses, mini van in style, that have a large sign in the windshield saying 'public bus'.

He dropped us off at Governor's beach as we requested and we caught the bus back from Public beach where we had spent the rest of the day. From Public beach, the bus was about a three minute walk away, across the parking lot. We waited on the correct side of the street, as directed by locals, and simply waved down the public bus. The drivers were able to make change for us in US dollars. Could not have been easier or more convenient. I realize the taxis are also relatively cheap, five dollars one-way per person, but taking the bus was just as easy and half the price. The buses stop at many locations on 7 Mile Beach, including the Royal Palms where many people end up going. The buses seem to run every few minutes. Locals were incredibly helpful, friendly, and the environment could not have been safer. Great cheap excursion for my family of four. The route is a straight one from the beach to the port and other than the time to drop off passengers at various stops, it did not really take any more longer then it would have in a taxi. It was also nice to chat up the locals on the ride.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
Huge thanks goes out to everyone who has posted here about the public buses that go to 7 mile Beach. We were in Grand Cayman last week and caught the bus after a five-minute walk away from the port. It was 2.50 per person one way and incredibly easy to figure out. The main terminal is by the library which is a couple of blocks away from the port. We took a left out of the port, missed the turn to the library, and kept walking straight on the street parallel to the water which was on our left. About three blocks away from the port, we saw a public bus coming toward us and waved it down. The driver immediately stopped and picked us up. I was later told by the locals that you do not have to wait at a designated bus stop. Just wave down the small buses, mini van in style, that have a large sign in the windshield saying 'public bus'.

He dropped us off at Governor's beach as we requested and we caught the bus back from Public beach where we had spent the rest of the day. From Public beach, the bus was about a three minute walk away, across the parking lot. We waited on the correct side of the street, as directed by locals, and simply waved down the public bus. The drivers were able to make change for us in US dollars. Could not have been easier or more convenient. I realize the taxis are also relatively cheap, five dollars one-way per person, but taking the bus was just as easy and half the price. The buses stop at many locations on 7 Mile Beach, including the Royal Palms where many people end up going. The buses seem to run every few minutes. Locals were incredibly helpful, friendly, and the environment could not have been safer. Great cheap excursion for my family of four. The route is a straight one from the beach to the port and other than the time to drop off passengers at various stops, it did not really take any more longer then it would have in a taxi. It was also nice to chat up the locals on the ride.

AWESOME!!!! Thank you so much!

• 2 years later...

Calico Jack's is right on the beach - their picnic tables are in the sand. A fun vibe.

Coccoloba is north of there, part of the Kimpton hotel, but right on the beach and open to the public. http://www.seafireresortandspa.com/grand-cayman-restaurants/coccoloba/

Royal Palms also has a full bar. https://royalpalmscayman.com/

Those are the main beach bar places on Seven Mile Beach.

• 1 month later...

We've just been to GC, it was very nice! Took a bus to the public beach, which is right next to Calico Jack's, where we got two lounge chairs and an umbrella for $20 (they also had some less nice ones for 15), which we thought was reasonable. We were going to have lunch there but ended up getting food from nearby where some locals had set up - food was good and plentiful for $10 a plate. Got a bucket of local beers from Calico Jack's - I think it was 5 beers for $20, again very reasonable.

We took a shuttle back from there to the port, which was $5 per person, if I remember correctly - I'm sure we could have taken a bus back, too, but this just seemed easier.

Overall, we loved it there! It's a beautiful beach, and the entire place seems clean and more civilized than a lot of the other islands

• 1 month later...

The beach is 5.5 miles long.  Most of the road has a place for pedestrians to walk safely.  The walk is about 2.5 KM to the south end of the beach - assuming you are fit and can take the heat it would be about a half hour walk either way.  However, the south end of the beach isn't the best part, as the beach isn't very deep there and it's where a couple of hotels are (Comfort Suites, Marriott).  You could go a little further to the Royal Palms Beach club - that is 3km and about a 40 minute walk.

Or you could use the public buses which cost about $2.50 in each direction, and will take you to any part of the beach.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Travel Mom said:

What do you tell the bus when you want to get off at Calico Jacks?

Are there restrooms here?? ( I know its a restaurant)

I looked at Royal Palms...looks crowded and party time.  But for 5 of us...the cabana looks ok and nice restrooms

Umm...if you want to go to Calico Jack’s, I’d tell the bus driver you want to get off at Calico Jack’s.  That seems easiest to me.  🙂

Both places are more reserved in the daytime, but develop more of a party atmosphere in the evenings.  How loud they are during the day really depends on the crowd levels and the dynamics of the cruise ship visitors in attendance.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, Travel Mom said:

What do you tell the bus when you want to get off at Calico Jacks?

Are there restrooms here?? ( I know its a restaurant)

I looked at Royal Palms...looks crowded and party time.  But for 5 of us...the cabana looks ok and nice restrooms

Yes there are clean restrooms at Calico's, and outdoor showers, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like you are limited on what places want you.. called several..no "Day Passes"

looks like, CJ, or R.P. for two full cruise ships when I am there in Mid Feb...does anyone know of any resorts on 7 mile that will take in day cruisers.. most suggested on here when called do not...tks

Mid February is the heart of the high season on Grand Cayman.  Hotels and condo complexes are going to be full.  I very much doubt that you are going to find any place that will be ok with cruise visitors coming in for the day.

Royal Palms, Calico Jack's/Public Beach and Rum Point are going to be your best options if you need services, which (of course) is going to be where everyone else wants to go).  Two ships in is not massive though - that means between 4 and 6 thousand visitors.  On peak days (like February 28th, 2019) you can get 6 ships in with 17 thousand visitors!).

If you don't need services, then there are far more options for you to spread a towel and have a picnic!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, TravellingBritNY said:

Mid February is the heart of the high season on Grand Cayman.  Hotels and condo complexes are going to be full.  I very much doubt that you are going to find any place that will be ok with cruise visitors coming in for the day.

Royal Palms, Calico Jack's/Public Beach and Rum Point are going to be your best options if you need services, which (of course) is going to be where everyone else wants to go).  Two ships in is not massive though - that means between 4 and 6 thousand visitors.  On peak days (like February 28th, 2019) you can get 6 ships in with 17 thousand visitors!).

If you don't need services, then there are far more options for you to spread a towel and have a picnic!

5 of us planning on catching the bus to the beach.... or a cab, which we can stop and get "supplies" If you could elaborate more on some options, that would be so helpful. tks

21 hours ago, CLS/KAS said:

5 of us planning on catching the bus to the beach.... or a cab, which we can stop and get "supplies" If you could elaborate more on some options, that would be so helpful. tks

I would suggest stopping at Kirk Market - it's on the way and is a large, incredibly well-stocked supermarket (don't expect cheap prices, this is Cayman).

Wonderful fruits, juices and snacks.  Go to the back and check out their cheeses - try something different and pick up some crackers to go with them.  They have a salad bar there as well.  The only thing you won't get there is alcohol, should you be wanting it - ask the cab driver to stop at a liquor store - there are several on the way and you can buy cold beer or wine, or whatever takes your fancy.

17 hours ago, TravellingBritNY said:

I would suggest stopping at Kirk Market - it's on the way and is a large, incredibly well-stocked supermarket (don't expect cheap prices, this is Cayman).

Wonderful fruits, juices and snacks.  Go to the back and check out their cheeses - try something different and pick up some crackers to go with them.  They have a salad bar there as well.  The only thing you won't get there is alcohol, should you be wanting it - ask the cab driver to stop at a liquor store - there are several on the way and you can buy cold beer or wine, or whatever takes your fancy.

Outstanding info!..This is why I have used this site for years..can always rely on getting good helpful info/contacts   want to get to the beach as smooth as Poss. I have been to G.C. several times now.. know what awaits me.. I tried calling several of the resorts .. no luck w day cruisers...so want to get settled in.. then we can walk up and down during the day. Royal Palm/C Jack I guess.. open to suggestions.. Tks  :)

On 1/7/2019 at 2:24 PM, TravellingBritNY said:

Thank you so much for all this information. We are going to be one of the 17 thousand on February 28th. Any suggestions for a less crowded beach stop would be greatly appreciated. We can handle the no service...

On 1/17/2019 at 5:09 PM, TravellingBritNY said:

Are you allowed to bring your own liquor to the public beach? Where do I get dropped off if I want to go to the public beach? Do I just ask to go to “the public beach”?

Yes you can bring your own liquor to the beach, as long as you sit on your own chairs, towels, etc.  If you are going to a place that has a bar, then no, that would be against the rules (and decency).

All beaches on the Cayman Islands are public, by law.  There is one spot that is known (somewhat confusingly) as "Public Beach" and that is an oft-used spot by cruise visitors, because it it right next to Calico Jack's.  If you want to get away from the crowds and are willing to do without services, then ask your driver for Cemetery Beach, or Governor's Beach.  Those are both part of the 5.5 mile long Seven Mile Beach that doesn't get anywhere near as much traffic as Public Beach or Royal Palms.  Your taxi driver will know them very well.

• Thanks 2