Are there nightlights in Amsterdam bathrooms?

Nauta14

I was wondering if I need to bring a nightlight for the cabin bathroom, or does the Amsterdam have them?

Princess ships do not have them, and this is our first time on a HAL cruise (in Nov. 2016)

I haven't been on the Amsterdam, but have been on several HAL ships, none of which have night lights. I bring a couple of battery powered tea lights, one for the bathroom and one for the cabin. We also travel with small flashlights. Have a great cruise!

You may want to bring a power strip and or an extension cord. We just got off Amsterdam cabin 3310 on the lower promenade deck. The cabin only had one outlet and the refrigerator was plugged into that. We had to borrow a power strip and extension cord from the front desk. The deposit was $50.00 ($25.00 each)

We also didn't have any night light, but being on the lower promenade deck we didn't need any as our cabin was brighter at night then during the day due to the large flood lights for the deck outside our window.

We also take those LEDnight lights that you can plug in.

Do make certain that you take an updated power bar that doesn't have the surge protector on it.

I'm not sure what the surge protector concern would be.

(This whole thread reminds me of my overpacking for a cruise tendency. :o)

You may want to bring a power strip and or an extension cord. ... We had to borrow a power strip and extension cord from the front desk. The deposit was $50.00 ($25.00 each)

Do make certain that you take an updated power bar that doesn't have the surge protector on it.
KnowBeforeYouGo still says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided

power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

I'm not sure what the surge protector concern would be.
There have been many explanations of this on this forum. Basically, ship electrical systems are not grounded like land systems, and they don't want power surges being shunted into the ship's hull.

Edited by jtl513

[/font]KnowBeforeYouGo still says:

power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.[/size]

There have been many explanations of this on this forum. Basically, ship electrical systems are not grounded like land systems, and they don't want power surges being shunted into the ship's hull.

Leave it to HAL to say if "more outlet space is necessary". Since our cabin only had one outlet that was in use when we arrived which means we had Zero! And to get any power in our cabin we had to leave a deposit of $50.00. They on their website ask if it is "necessary?"

Thanks Jtl513 for locating this note from HAL. I am still wondering how many extension cords and power strips Amsterdam carries and what passengers do if the front office runs out?

We carry a 220v plug in night light with us and also an LED movement activated light that works on 2 AA batteries. Most of the bathrooms on HAL ships have the shaving outlets switched off when you switch of the bathroom light. Plugging in anything with the lights out, it does not work. Officially these are shaver only outlets, but nightlights have an extreme low wattage.

Our experience is that the LED movement activated nightlight on batteries, works the best and lasts forever on batteries!

I am still wondering how many extension cords and power strips Amsterdam carries and what passengers do if the front office runs out?
It's for this possibility that I carry a couple of "cube taps" that I can stack to give me 5 outlets. These obviously do not have surge protector circuitry, and technically are not "power strips" so they have never objected to my using them. Also, if the ship supply runs out and a power strip that you brought along does not have a surge protector, the front desk will approve its use.

There are no restrictions on bringing your own extension cord.

attachment.php?attachmentid=190473&d=1301770956

Edited by jtl513

Good morning,

This might not work for everyone but it worked great for me. I left the light on in the bathroom and shut the door. I really don't want to chance a fall or take any chances. I could see the light under the door to assist my middle of the night trek.

I do travel solo so I do not need to worry about the light bothering anyone else.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

Good morning,

This might not work for everyone but it worked great for me. I left the light on in the bathroom and shut the door. I really don't want to chance a fall or take any chances. I could see the light under the door to assist my middle of the night trek.

I do travel solo so I do not need to worry about the light bothering anyone else.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

We usually take a small plug-in nightlight, but sometimes there's no convenient plug for it. If we forget the nightlight or can't use it, I leave a light on in the bathroom for safety.

One of the best hotels I ever stayed in was the Seaport Hotel in Boston. So many clever touches that I wish other hotels would have. The bathroom has a built-in night light. It's under the counter, so it softly illuminates the floor. They also heat part of the mirror so it doesn't "fog" when you taking a shower.

We carry a 220v plug in night light with us and also an LED movement activated light that works on 2 AA batteries. Most of the bathrooms on HAL ships have the shaving outlets switched off when you switch of the bathroom light. Plugging in anything with the lights out, it does not work. Officially these are shaver only outlets, but nightlights have an extreme low wattage.

Our experience is that the LED movement activated nightlight on batteries, works the best and lasts forever on batteries!

That's what we use, also - works wonders. Although I do wish ours had a longer "timeout" setting.

[/font]KnowBeforeYouGo still says:

power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.[/size]

I think my is plain from Ikea... I've used it on all of my cruises without issue. Never thought about the ins and out about it, just saw on CC that there was only one outlet in the cabins & I knew that we would need more based on the number of electronics that 2 adults use on vacation

I think my is plain from Ikea... I've used it on all of my cruises without issue.
If it doesn't say that it has a surge suppressor, and is cheap or old, it likely doesn't have one. But to be sure its OK, you should have it checked at the front desk. Edited by jtl513

We have used a mini tap light in the bathroom for years; place it near the door and when you go into the bathroom, just tap it and there is enough light but not the blinding bathroom light that wakes you up.

LED_Battery_Operated_Stick_On_Tap_Light.jpg_200x200.jpg

I then bought a LED tea light from the Target $1 bins that works just as well; we have used it on more than one cruise and it is still going. It is switched on when going to sleep and switched off the next morning. The light is dimmer that the tap light but still enough for what we need.

Glitter%2BLED%2BTealight%2Bwith%2BFlicker%2B%2528Set%2Bof%2B24%2529.jpg

On our RSVP cruises they sometimes hand out glow sticks at the night time parties and we have used those as nightlights after dancing the night way. They glow for a long time and give enough light off.

orange-glow-stick-psd-414758.png

In addition tot he one US outlet in the cabin is there a European outlet... we take an adapter so we can use that outlet too, and often a triple tap to make it more accessible and now available for at least two devices to charge (given the spacing to takes for the chargers). m--

In addition tot he one US outlet in the cabin is there a European outlet... we take an adapter so we can use that outlet too, and often a triple tap to make it more accessible and now available for at least two devices to charge (given the spacing to takes for the chargers). m--
But I'd warn everyone to be sure that anything being plugged in there is rated for 220V!

On our recent NA cruise there were two of each outlet available, but we still bring a European power strip and extension cord (25 footer). Almost all modern electronics are capable of dual voltage (110-220) but some older items might not be.