flashdrive port

Kooolmomma

Does anyone know if you can use a flashdrive in the computers onboard HAL ships?

I have a Kindle Fire which will suffice to check my email and social media in ports, but I need to know that if I bring a flashdrive with all my files of the different ports, if I can access it on the ship's computers without paying for minutes or do I need to bring my laptop?

Mary Lou

What phone do you use? If you have a Android you could use that to access your files if it supports OTG (USB On-The-Go).

Just buy one of these On-The-Go adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-in-1-OTG-TF-SD-Smart-Card-Reader-Adapter-with-Micro-USB-Charge-Port-For-Phone-/391348227938?hash=item5b1e2c0f62:g:hX8AAOSwhkRWeqX6

Or you could just get a USB memory stick with both normal USB and micro USB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGSTON-DT-microDUO-8GB-MICROVAULT-MICRO-USB-USB-Stick-8GB-/390824777251?hash=item5afef8d623:g:4FAAAOxyBjBTVMcP

You'll need to bring your laptop to access files off a flash drive; the USB ports are typically blocked. Most PCs are provided almost exclusively for internet use, and there's no guarantee that they'd have the programs you'd need to open your files installed.

Does anyone know if you can use a flashdrive in the computers onboard HAL ships?

I have a Kindle Fire which will suffice to check my email and social media in ports, but I need to know that if I bring a flashdrive with all my files of the different ports, if I can access it on the ship's computers without paying for minutes or do I need to bring my laptop?

Mary Lou

Generally you cannot access any flash or optical drives on ship's computers.

Put your stuff in the cloud and then you can access it from your Kindle.

Edited by zqvol

You cannot use a USB drive on any HAL computer to prevent introducing viruses into the ship's system.

If you want to print on any of the ship's computers, you have to print from an internet location/email.

I would suggest bringing a laptop and storing your files in the Cloud.

You cannot use a USB drive on any HAL computer to prevent introducing viruses into the ship's system.

If you want to print on any of the ship's computers, you have to print from an internet location/email.

I would suggest bringing a laptop and storing your files in the Cloud.

Do you need internet to access the cloud? In which case bringing USB and Laptop might be better as it would not include any costs

Sandy in Spain

Do you need internet to access the cloud? In which case bringing USB and Laptop might be better as it would not include any costs

Sandy in Spain

Yes you need Internet to access the cloud.

But you can get wifi storage devices.

We will reiterate what Sail7Seas said with an addendum. The normal practice on cruise ships (we are speaking about most or all lines) is to disable the ports on their PCs located in internet centers. This is a routine security practice (now followed by many network administrators) used widely for any public access computers as well as the computers of many businesses.

Hank

Sometimes, your ship will include a computer course (photography, video editing, something like that) where they will burn your pictures to a CD or DVD for a fee. In my case, it was $15. I have been on some cruises where this has been offered as a standalone service, again, for a fee

In my case, it was a problem with having only 1GB memory card (this goes WAYYY back), and running out of space on the card. Nowadays, I just take along 3 or 4 large capacity memory cards, which I buy when they are on sale at Office Depot, and will use a seperate one at each location where I want to take pictures. Lately, I have been taking a shot of the "Next Day Location" screen before getting off the ship so I can keep them straight

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,

All you have to do is add your documents to your Kindle Fire.

You then click on "docs" and can access your documents/files.

You DO NOT need internet access to view your files.

I do this on all my cruises.

Make sure you have your email set up on your Kindle Fire.

Email yourself the documents.

Open them and then "save" to your Kindle fire docs.

Edited by FoghornLeghorn