Travel Guard /AIG Cruise Insurance Buyer Beware

mcrcruiser

Travel guard Insurance is owned by AIG

Come to find out that our cruise insurance from this company DOES NOT cover any mental ,Nervous or Psychological Disorders even though the circumstances were created by cruise line personnel . Yes ,they have it in fine print in the body of their policy ,put in there by their attorneys .:eek:

The policy was bought at the same time the cruise was purchased thus all pre existing conditions were covered fully except the above ;which we did not know about

Hard to understand that Psychological medical does not impact the physical being of a person . :eek:

Those escape clauses are getting more profound all the time . :mad:

Sum of this issue is :Buyer beware

We now will no longer order any insurance with out seeing the entire policy before purchase

Come to find out that our cruise insurance from this company DOES NOT cover any mental ,Nervous or Psychological Disorders even though the circumstances were created by cruise line personnel . Yes ,they have it in fine print in the body of their policy ,put in there by their attorneys .:eek:

The policy was bought at the same time the cruise was purchased thus all pre existing conditions were covered fully except the above ;which we did not know about

Hard to understand that Psychological medical does not impact the physical being of a person . :eek:

We now will no longer order any insurance with out seeing the entire policy before purchase

I've always been able to review the policy prior to purchase. And I read every contract I sign, every word of it, before I sign it.

In addition, you have 15 days from purchase to cancel your TravelGuard policy, if I remember correctly. I would hope you'd have read it within that time frame. Not all policies cover all contingencies, however, have you checked your major medical to see if they provide any coverage?

Is it April 1st already? Or is mental ,Nervous or Psychological Disorders your preexisting condition that was excluded? :)

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I would love to see someone going loopy ( sorry I should have said troppo) as a consequence of actions by the pool butler. If this happened the underlying condition would have to have been present prior to.

Come to find out that our cruise insurance from this company DOES NOT cover any mental ,Nervous or Psychological Disorders even though the circumstances were created by cruise line personnel .

I'm quite sure this is a risk that a lot of people will be comfortable self-managing. It's simply not cost effective for any insurance company to offer cover for every eventuality.

I am beyond stumped. Must be something wrong with someone who buys any type of insurance without reading and understanding what is covered. This is especially important with travel insurance where at the Cruise and Travel Insurance board this is discussed every day. Every policy is different!

I'm thinking that any mental ,Nervous or Psychological Disorders created by cruise line personnel would be grounds for a lawsuit. Travel insurance claim would be insufficient to compensate a person for this pain. One should seek the advice of a competent attorney.

Edited by neverbeenhere

I'm trying to figure out how a pre-existing condition -- whether physical or mental -- could have been "created by cruise line personnel." But maybe that's because I never studied quantum physics and that "space-time continuum" stuff.

You certainly should have received a copy of the entire policy when you purchased it...or a pointer to where you could read the entire policy. There are, however, some conditions that aren't necessarily covered in the policy text....for example, your parent is in a nursing home with a terminal disease and passes away while you are on a vacation covered by a policy where you thought you had a waiver for pre-existing conditions. No policy will pay you for expenses....because it was an anticipated event, even though you didn't know exactly when.

BTW...I wish you luck in checking the policies which are generally very specific and surprisingly easy to read. The problem is that you can't think of all the possibilities and when they give you a list of what they do cover, you don't realize what's missing. We were on the century when it broke down one day into the cruise. We expected our travel insurance to cover all the expenses to get us home...but no, mechanical breakdown of a cruise ship is not a covered item. And I had read the policy carefully. (BTW, Celebrity's policy didn't cover it either).

Edited by ghstudio

Acts of war as well as self-inflicted injuries are not covered. Psych problems, since they are hard to diagnose, are generally not going to be covered except by medical coverage. Go bonkers on the cruise you probably have coverage for treatment through your travel insurance but it will be secondary, helping to pay expenses after your primary pays. So if the op went bonkers because of something a crew member did and the op was put in an institution during the cruise, the insurance might pay something. But getting the cruise cost back not going to happen. :rolleyes:

I'm finding some of these replies rather cruel. I think the OP was trying to be helpful about travel insurance but instead is receiving jabs (loopy,bonkers) in regards to mental health.

I'm with Host Jazzbeau wondering what cruise personnel could have done to cause such great mental psychological trauma. Sound more like a job for an attorney than an insurance company.

I am beyond stumped. Must be something wrong with someone who buys any type of insurance without reading and understanding what is covered. This is especially important with travel insurance where at the Cruise and Travel Insurance board this is discussed every day. Every policy is different!

Exactly. If you buy any type of insurance without reading what you're getting then you deserve exactly what you bought. :rolleyes:

I am no expert, but I would guess allowing mental/psychological as a reason for collecting insurance would just be too vague, and make it so anyone could make a claim on the insurance company at any time. (I am NOT saying that the OP was trying anything like that kind of thing.) You can always get "Cancel for any reason" policies for a slightly higher price.

Edited by DWhit

I am beyond stumped. Must be something wrong with someone who buys any type of insurance without reading and understanding what is covered.

Wow....az-tchr, have you read your auto and home insurance policies through, understanding exactly what is and isn't covered....very very few have...and even fewer actually understand what isn't covered.

Be careful at throwing stones....some may come back to hit you.