Elite sharing cabin with newbie

bigguy1

If a newbie shares a cabin with an elite, what elite benefits are available to the newbie. For example - embarcation, tender boarding, special fares, elite lounge, etc.

Technically none. Its for the member only.

What relationship? Friend, spouse?

Same cabin they could board together I believe.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When booking, everyone in the cabin should receive past passenger fares even if only one occupant is a Circle member. (Used to be allowed even for two cabins on the same booking, but apparently no more).

Should be no issue with cabinmates checking in and boarding with you. Nor accompanying you to the Platinum/Elite/Suite happy hour or disembarkation lounge (only once have I seen the latter strictly enforced).

In-cabin elite amenities are per cabin, not per person; up to you to share the minibar and toiletries, and should you order Afternoon Tea or formal night Canapes they always bring more than enough for two.

The one sticky issue is priority tendering; some reports of checking every single cruise card for Elite status or Suite cabin number. But also lots of complaints from those with regular tender tickets of one person waving their black card and demanding the crowd part for them and all their friends. So no guarantees; reality is likely somewhere in the middle.

Edited by fishywood

When booking, everyone in the cabin should receive past passenger fares even if only one occupant is a Circle member. (Used to be allowed even for two cabins on the same booking, but apparently no more).

Should be no issue with cabinmates checking in and boarding with you. Nor accompanying you to the Platinum/Elite/Suite happy hour or disembarkation lounge (only once have I seen the latter strictly enforced).

In-cabin elite amenities are per cabin, not per person; up to you to share the minibar and toiletries, and should you order Afternoon Tea or formal night Canapes they always bring more than enough for two.

The one sticky issue is priority tendering; some reports of checking every single cruise card for Elite status or Suite cabin number. But also lots of complaints from those with regular tender tickets of one person waving their black card and demanding the crowd part for them and all their friends. So no guarantees; reality is likely somewhere in the middle.

What's the middle ground if you're Elite and your spouse isn't when it comes to Tendering? Surely no one would question this. Im just curious to thoughts on this. How about laundry under this situation? Would a spouse really be barred from the disembarkation lounge because both aren't Elite?

What's the middle ground if you're Elite and your spouse isn't when it comes to Tendering? Surely no one would question this. Im just curious to thoughts on this. How about laundry under this situation? Would a spouse really be barred from the disembarkation lounge because both aren't Elite?

I don't drink and DW isn't Elite. Would it be frowned apon if she does the tasting and I do the buying :) Seriously. :)

Where do you read its a spouse?

As far as wine tasting they would not have a ticket so they would have to pay.

The correct Elite priority tendering benefit is that they may proceed directly to the line in the tender launch area without procuring a tender ticket. If followed correctly then there would be no issue with one other cabinmate who is not Elite accompanying them. But it seems that most Elite believe the benefit entitles them to both cut the line of non-elites even after their ticket number was called and bring as many of their new friends along with them as they wish. The "middle ground" I alluded to was simply to follow the rules.

For the disembarkation lounge, as I said above there was only one cruise on which I saw any issues: the Circle host was at the door demanding everyone have both their cruise card and the color stub from their luggage tags in their hand else they could not enter. Was she acutally keeping all non-Platinum/Elite/Suite guests out, even if cabinmates of one? Can't say for sure but a lot of pax were just leaving rather than deal with her.

With laundry, so many Elites and Suite passengers were sending out the clothing of non-cabinmates that Princess has given up trying to enforce the rules and simply extended the turnaround time for complimentary laundry to 72 hours--longer than the time for paid service. No one to blame but themselves in this case.

Edited by fishywood

...With laundry, so many Elites and Suite passengers were sending out the clothing of non-cabinmates that Princess has given up trying to enforce the rules and simply extended the turnaround time for complimentary laundry to 72 hours--longer than the time for paid service. No one to blame but themselves in this case.
The 72 hour turn around only happens when there are a very large number of Elites on board. Interestingly, on our recent 14 day cruise on the Pacific, 64% of passengers were Elite and we received the 72 hour notice. We sent out laundry four times before 9:00AM and three times we received our laundry the next afternoon. That is pretty standard for almost any cruise. Only one time did it take another day. One thing that might have helped is that our steward brought our laundry down as soon as he picked it up from our cabin. We had not asked for special service but it was part of the reason we gave him a larger than normal additional gratuity.

Where do you read its a spouse?

As far as wine tasting they would not have a ticket so they would have to pay.

Just asking a question. A spouse is sharing the cabin. All married couples don't use the same last name. Can I get that glass of wine to go?

My husband was elite before me. The answer on the Regal for tendering was that I couldn't go but it was during prime time and on a big ship. Different ship and crew, possibly different answer.

Laundry, only the elite gets to use it. There is obviously a difference between a man's and woman's clothes so they could rightfully charge.

Disembarkation lounge, can't answer since I was platinum and we were all in there.

The grapevine wine tasting was for him. That isn't transferable. You have to have a ticket to go and sit at the table so my husband got his free and I paid for mine.

My husband was elite before me. The answer on the Regal for tendering was that I couldn't go but it was during prime time and on a big ship. Different ship and crew, possibly different answer.

Laundry, only the elite gets to use it. There is obviously a difference between a man's and woman's clothes so they could rightfully charge.

Disembarkation lounge, can't answer since I was platinum and we were all in there.

The grapevine wine tasting was for him. That isn't transferable. You have to have a ticket to go and sit at the table so my husband got his free and I paid for mine.

What about a man that wears unmentionable, unmentionables , :)

One thing about cruising.....ask 10 people about an experience and you might get 10 different stories. Most times while on the same ship. I guess this is how you get to love cruising. If your moments are good ones and you have enough of them......you can barely wait to cruise again. Ive been Elite for only 11 cruises and yes its been enjoyable. Things have changed, ALOT in the last few years. IMHO its still the BEST loyalty level afloat.

Happy Sailing to all.

Edited by blkspy

nicely said!

Grapevine Wine Tasting example.

Wife (Elite) brings Husband (not). Gets to door with "invitation". The person at the door happened to be my MDR waiter so I was interested. He politely told her that his name was not on the card, that he would be welcome to attend, but would have to pay the cover charge.

She was extremely upset. Said that the person who called to invite her (yes, we did get a phone call) said that it was for her and her husband even though the card was only in her name (you would think she would know better).

She huffed out of there without taking her card. And turned around long enough to say that she would have to complain about this in writing.

Not sure what happened after she left. Really? Over less than a full glass of wine, cheese, crackers, and no souvenir glass?????

Just asking a question. A spouse is sharing the cabin. All married couples don't use the same last name. Can I get that glass of wine to go?

Really? It's a wine tasting, not a glass of wine to go.:rolleyes:

It amazes me the lengths that some will go to get something free. Even a crappy glass of wine.

nicely said!

Last cruise I went with my sister, first cruise on Princess. There were no problems with taking her to elite lounge or to Captain's welcome. However I did check first at Captains circle desk. Disembarking no problems in lounge. Wine tasting, just assumed if she wanted to come she would pay. Tendering I cringe when the black card brigade charge to the front of the line. I am happy I don't have to line up to get a ticket and can just join the end of the line. She came with me and there were no issues. I too believe Princess has the best loyalty programs, but just to be sure I am continuing to cruise with the others to build my credits. Not really I just choose the cruise going where I want to go at the right price.

Really? It's a wine tasting, not a glass of wine to go.:rolleyes:

It amazes me the lengths that some will go to get something free. Even a crappy glass of wine.

Not to debate what is amazing. I said the 'glass to go' as a piece of humor . I stated in a previous post that I Don't drink :rolleyes: im sorry if my clumsy attempt sailed higher than I expected. As far as free---the next one is on me. Happy sailing.

With laundry, so many Elites and Suite passengers were sending out the clothing of non-cabinmates that Princess has given up trying to enforce the rules and simply extended the turnaround time for complimentary laundry to 72 hours--longer than the time for paid service. No one to blame but themselves in this case.

I was just on Royal. I got my elite laundry back in one day,

rather than the promised two. Twice.

I have read that on the Regal/Royal original TA there was so

many elites that laundry was slow.

The problem with cruise critic is that someone posts about an

incident that happened once, and then it is repeated as if it

happens every time on every cruise.

Anyone who has been on princess a few times knows ...

the most consistent thing about princess is the inconsistency.

I was just on Royal. I got my elite laundry back in one day,

rather than the promised two. Twice.

I have read that on the Regal/Royal original TA there was so

many elites that laundry was slow.

The problem with cruise critic is that someone posts about an

incident that happened once, and then it is repeated as if it

happens every time on every cruise.

Anyone who has been on princess a few times knows ...

the most consistent thing about princess is the inconsistency.

HIGH Five :cool:

Want a different Princess answer, call back in 5 minutes :)

Edited by blkspy

They've checked our cruise cards each and every time we used the disembarkation lounge. You can try it but there's a very good chance the newbie will be turned away.

I have been taking the whole family in with me every time. (Sometimes it's just a couple of them and sometimes all.) No one has ever turned us away (well, except for one snotty Circle hostess on the Crown last year, but that wasn't because of my guests--she turned ME away, too.) DH likes to get the newspaper, so that's primarily why we go there. When it's held in one of the dining rooms, there is ample room. I guess it's luck of the draw, Nina. :)

She was extremely upset. Said that the person who called to invite her (yes, we did get a phone call) said that it was for her and her husband even though the card was only in her name (you would think she would know better).

I have (always?) gotten a card in the stateroom as my invitation

to grapevine.

On the bottom of the card, it says something like this card is

for the named person, your friends and family members are

welcome to purchase the tasting...