Our son has a deadly peanut allergy and we cant get into fixed dining...

plunker

We were booked on the Emerald over Easter but had our TA switch us to the Regal Feb 7th cruise instead. We had fixed dining on our Emerald cruise but when our ta switched us to the Regal she forgot to put us down for fixed dining. By the time we noticed it and contacted her we were on a waitlist and at #140. She called Princess and they said there is nothing they could do and to tell the maitre d when we get on the ship. This will be our 4th cruise with Princess and they have always done a spectacular job with our son while we were in fixed dining. What would be the best way to handle this? They usually give him the next nights menu so he could pick what he wanted and to make sure he could have it. Not sure how this will work now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The most important thing would be to meet with the MD at the time/place listed in the embarkation day Princess Patter newsletter that will be in your cabin when you arrive.

The meeting is usually held in one of the DR's between 2p and 3:30p.

He can put a plan in place.

I would bring something from your doctor to show that your son has a real problem and that you are not making one up just to get into fixed dining. As soon as you get on the ship, talk to the matre'd. He will take care of you.

DON

Of worst comes to worst I have been in anytime dining and they are happy to accommodate you. First you may be able to make a standing reservation so that it almost exactly like rational dining.

Second, I know they work with you if you have special dietary needs in anytime so, you will not be stranded of you can't get into traditional.

I do believe, that in your case the MD should accommodate you.

We have always been able to get fixed dining when on a wait. On our Alaska cruise we were in the 400's. I just went and talked to the maitre ' d on embarkation day - he had set up camp in one of the dining rooms. Easy peasy! You will get it!

We were booked on the Emerald over Easter but had our TA switch us to the Regal Feb 7th cruise instead. We had fixed dining on our Emerald cruise but when our ta switched us to the Regal she forgot to put us down for fixed dining. By the time we noticed it and contacted her we were on a waitlist and at #140. She called Princess and they said there is nothing they could do and to tell the maitre d when we get on the ship. This will be our 4th cruise with Princess and they have always done a spectacular job with our son while we were in fixed dining. What would be the best way to handle this? They usually give him the next nights menu so he could pick what he wanted and to make sure he could have it. Not sure how this will work now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Just travelled last fall with my cousin who has a food allergy and we were in anytime dining. They take it VERY seriously and they will look after you. They brought her the next days menu each dinner and she picked what she would have. I would suggest booking a set dining time with the same table and that way you have the same staff every night who know your situation so they can keep their station clean of the nuts, etc. As I said, Princess takes food allergies very seriously.

I would definitely take a letter from your son's doctor when you go meet with the head waiter. Hopefully he can set you up with a set waitstaff arrangement.

On my last cruise, after the head waiter read off a list of specials on our first night, I mentioned that I don't eat fish as I have a shellfish allergy. Just a few minutes later (not kidding) the head waiter was by my side and said he will help me with selecting my food. I said that's okay, in avoiding seafood, and anything that could have shrimp, or other similar ingredients, I'll be okay. But I did appreciate the concern.

From my FAQ:

Food Allergies/Special Diets/Dietary Concerns

Many cruisers nowadays have special dietary needs, most often for medical reasons. Cruise lines will do everything possible to accommodate reasonable requests, but it takes a partnership.

If you have a dietary need, there are certain general steps you should follow:

• If your needs are medically based, I recommend traditional dining. Maintaining the same wait staff will make it much easier to manage. If TD is not an option, see below.
  • Indicate your specific needs in the cruise personalizer as early as possible. This allows for the possibility of onloading any special items needed.
  • Once onboard, contact the Maitre’D on embarkation day (location will be listed in the patter). Confirm they have your details correct. He or she will go over their specific protocols with you.
  • Indicate if your dietary needs are medical or preferential, i.e. a food allergy versus a lifestyle choice. This can influence options available and also make it easier on the kitchen staff. Food allergies require special care, but if you don’t eat nuts by preference you will not know they used the same pot to cook it.
  • During meals, your main point of contact will be your servers and most especially your headwaiter. Each evening, the headwaiter should review the next day’s menu with you and will work with you to adjust as needed. They can also make arrangements for specialty dining, which should be confirmed upon arrival at the venue.
  • If you are in AD, and at Breakfast and Lunch, advise your servers that the headwaiter is aware of your special diet and has arranged menu options if available.

Some Notes:

• Needless to say, your options may be limited early on Embarkation day, and the adjustments at the first night’s dinner may also be a little more limited as the kitchen has had very little time to prepare. That said, the kitchen will do whatever they can.
  • In general, avoid the buffet. While Princess makes every effort to avoid cross-contamination, your fellow passengers do not. I’ve personally observed the same utensils used to spread peanut butter used to pick up other items. In some cases, you may be able to arrange for meals to be prepared and stored at the buffet so that others in the party without allergies can dine (although atmospheric contamination will always be more of a concern)
  • Princess cannot provide special meals to take off the ship as most ports will not allow it. You should plan accordingly for excursions.
  • The executive chef and their team and the headwaiter will be working very hard to ensure your needs. If you can arrange it, a personal thank you is always a good idea, or at the very least a positive comment card.
  • A good place to meet the EC is at the Chef’s table. The chef’s table is an excellent option and they will adjust the menu as needed.

Just travelled last fall with my cousin who has a food allergy and we were in anytime dining. They take it VERY seriously and they will look after you. They brought her the next days menu each dinner and she picked what she would have. I would suggest booking a set dining time with the same table and that way you have the same staff every night who know your situation so they can keep their station clean of the nuts, etc. As I said, Princess takes food allergies very seriously.

We do this also when my grandson who has peanut allergy travels with us.

I have a life-threatening food allergy and Princess has been *very* accommodating, and we always do anytime. I'm still here to write this after 30+ Princess sailings since I developed it, so they must be doing something right.

I would still suggest trying to switch to fixed, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. The Maitre d'Hotel will, if unable to accommodate, know how to best address this in Anytime.

Peanut allergies are a lot harder than mine. I can't imagine having to worry about dusts.

I would definitely take a letter from your son's doctor when you go meet with the head waiter. Hopefully he can set you up with a set waitstaff arrangement.

On my last cruise' date=' after the head waiter read off a list of specials on our first night, I mentioned that I don't eat fish as I have a shellfish allergy. Just a few minutes later (not kidding) the head waiter was by my side and said he will help me with selecting my food. I said that's okay, in avoiding seafood, and anything that could have shrimp, or other similar ingredients, I'll be okay. But I did appreciate the concern.[/quote']

Ditto to the above I have medical problems with molluscs and crustaceans. There is a section on the UK ( I expect other countries as well ), cruise personaliser ,where you can inform them and as others have said get to the M'D or one of the head waiters when you go to the dining room, who will cheerfuly sort things out for you. Yes as we live in a world of cheat the system, it would be best to take a letter from your doctor. We find the same cheats book HC cabins when they don't need them !!!!. I hope Princess reads Cruise Critic.

On our last cruise, we had a friend with a wheat allergy and she was in anytime. She just stuck to the same dining room and the room maitre'd took great care of her. They'd give her the next days menus each day and go over what she could have, etc.

You might also, if you're stuck in Anytime, be able to get a standing table, giving you the same staff each night.

If the Regal follows the same procedures as other Princess ships and you asked for the early seating, you will probably find that you have fixed dining when you arrive on board.

Princess maintains the wait list for early seating, and then uses one of its open seating dining rooms for additional early traditional dining. The whole dining room may be the fixed seating or will also have a section for open seating (becomes available for open seating about an hour after the early seating has started).

The newly formed traditional seating may start anywhere from fifteen minutes to a half hour earlier than the traditional seating listed (i.e., early is 6 PM, the new section is 5:45 or 5:30 PM).

Call the Special Medical Needs Dept. this a Medical Handicap and needs to be addressed to a dept other than CS who has Zero Authority to handle it. Do this long long before birding the ship!

I agree but.......

This still has to be dealt with onboard. Many times the message never gets from corporate-fleet. Or its not relayed correctly. :(

Homosassa, All three traditional dining times are now listed as options in the Personalizer and may be selected and confirmed when booking. There is no longer a 'hidden' waitlist that becomes the additional early dining seating in one of the Anytime rooms; it is a selectable third time slot in the traditional dining options.

We have cruised with our granddaughter who has a peanut allergy We always have Anytime Dining. We meet with the maitre'd and have been assigned to the same dining table each night. The wait staff and maitre'd are very attentive and planned her dinner choices with her. Most nights she wanted chicken fingers, grapes and strawberries.

We didn't think to check in with the ships Doctor, but will on future cruises.

On any cruise line where we have been waitlisted for traditional dining, we contacted special needs and within a few days noticed we got our dining choice. I am gluten and dairy free and allergic to about 15 other foods. My reaction will put me to bed for days.

Last cruise we had people in the adjacent Anytime table with allergies. The waiter will call a head waiter over and they will help plan meals with you. Even if you eat at a different place and time in the dining room, you advise your waiters that you had arranged the meal with that particular headwaiter and no problems. This is probably the most important function of headwaiters and they take it very seriously - for the rest of us we MIGHT talk to a headwaiter once during a whole cruise.

That said, you might want to eat at the same time and with the same waiters each night since they are most familiar with their headwaiter. We routinely get to the dining room about 15 minutes before it is open and virtually always have the same table and wait team for the whole cruise. But with a headwaiter involved you could easily arrange the same table/wait team for the whole cruise.

Edited by LeeW
more info