Getting Married on Azura

Poppy01

A few years ago we were on a P&O Mediterranean cruise, not Azura, but on our table of 8 were a couple getting married on board with no friends or relatives accompanying them. I think the couple had been together for quite a while but there were problems with some relatives so they decided to go on their own. Well the table all got on really well and a few days into the cruise we had invitations to their wedding which was going to be on a sea day. It was really lovely and I'm fairly sure that the couple really enjoyed themselves. The rest of us dressed as if it were a formal evening (it was actually lunch time) and we went down to the wedding. The room where the ceremony took place was beautifully decorated, lovely flowers. There was an order of service printed and all went really well. The Bridegroom asked my husband to take a video of the service which he did. Then we were originally intending to take the couple to lunch but they went off to have their photos taken all over the ship, including the bridge so the rest of us went off to the Main Dining Room and had a rather boozy lunch. Then in the evening we had arranged a drinks do in one of our cabins and had it decorated with balloons etc. When we went down to dinner the Maitre d' had us all wait until most people were seated and then announced the arrival of the newly married couple and we all paraded in to great clapping from everyone. The table had been decorated with silver and pink balloons and lots of tiny silver horseshoes on the tablecloth.

My last memory of the couple was them going out of the dining room and up the stairs of the atrium with the Bridegroom with the balloons from the table over his shoulder. Later on the couple told us they had a splendid day and thoroughly enjoyed themselves even though they were on their own.

I obviously can't tell it from their point of view but it did seem a lovely occasion - not sure how it would have worked out if they hadn't been on set dining.

A few years ago we were on a P&O Mediterranean cruise, not Azura, but on our table of 8 were a couple getting married on board with no friends or relatives accompanying them. I think the couple had been together for quite a while but there were problems with some relatives so they decided to go on their own. Well the table all got on really well and a few days into the cruise we had invitations to their wedding which was going to be on a sea day. It was really lovely and I'm fairly sure that the couple really enjoyed themselves. The rest of us dressed as if it were a formal evening (it was actually lunch time) and we went down to the wedding. The room where the ceremony took place was beautifully decorated, lovely flowers. There was an order of service printed and all went really well. The Bridegroom asked my husband to take a video of the service which he did. Then we were originally intending to take the couple to lunch but they went off to have their photos taken all over the ship, including the bridge so the rest of us went off to the Main Dining Room and had a rather boozy lunch. Then in the evening we had arranged a drinks do in one of our cabins and had it decorated with balloons etc. When we went down to dinner the Maitre d' had us all wait until most people were seated and then announced the arrival of the newly married couple and we all paraded in to great clapping from everyone. The table had been decorated with silver and pink balloons and lots of tiny silver horseshoes on the tablecloth.

My last memory of the couple was them going out of the dining room and up the stairs of the atrium with the Bridegroom with the balloons from the table over his shoulder. Later on the couple told us they had a splendid day and thoroughly enjoyed themselves even though they were on their own.

I obviously can't tell it from their point of view but it did seem a lovely occasion - not sure how it would have worked out if they hadn't been on set dining.

Lovely story!

Hi, my romantic notions of marrying on a cruise or renewing of vows was completely crushed when we once bumped into a captain onboard, who was absolutely cynical about the fact that this was a part of his job, found it completely abhorrent and a total waste of his day. Having said that, this was one man and whilst this is hypothetical I would get married on a ship as it saves a whole lot of trouble getting hitched at home. The brides and grooms I have seen on board seem to have a fab time, I love to see them and if I was lucky enough to share a table I would do my best to make it memorable!

We renewed our vows on aurora Dec 2014 to mark our 25th anniversary. Our four daughters were with us and it was a wonderful and moving day. The lady who helped organise on the ship (I think her name was Karen) was brilliant, the captain ws a great and we loved the photographer who took some amazing photos. We couldn't fault anything. After the ceremony we had dinner in the glasshouse and they arranged for us to have the private room. I would definitely recommend the experience and have wonderful memories of the day.

ImageUploadedByForums1452756213.831615.jpg.edee6df8a1925b89ea5189f53eec228c.jpg