No Crown for 2017?

RetiredNTraveling

Here's a link to the Port of LA's current cruise ship schedule for 2016 & 2017:

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

In October & November 2017 it shows the Ruby, Emerald & Star in the Port of LA (San Pedro).

While it shows the three of them in port as of:

October 10/11/2017 Wed PRINCESS Star Princess 950 B93

October 10/14/2017 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B93

October 10/15/2017 Sun PRINCESS Emerald Princess 951 B93

It also show:

October 10/21/2017 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B93

October 10/28/2017 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B93

and:

November 11/04/2017 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B93

November 11/08/2017 Wed PRINCESS Star Princess 950 B93

November 11/11/2017 Sat PRINCESS Ruby Princess 951 B93

November 11/12/2017 Sun PRINCESS Emerald Princess 951 TBA

So by using logical deduction, one would assume that either the Star or the Emerald are likely candidates for our cruise! Both have 28 days in between dates!

But you know what they say about "assume", that being it makes an "ASS out of U and Me"! :eek: :D

Now we have another search to see if either ship docks somewhere other than one of the ports on the 2017 Edition!

Just Mike

So by using logical deduction, one would assume that either the Star or the Emerald are likely candidates for our cruise! Both have 28 days in between dates!

But you know what they say about "assume", that being it makes an "ASS out of U and Me"! :eek: :D

Now we have another search to see if either ship docks somewhere other than one of the ports on the 2017 Edition!

Just Mike

That's why I never assume anything! :p

The Emerald sails Sydney to LA in April 2017 and the Golden from LA to Sydney in July 2017. Even though they require a flight to or from Sydney we preferred that itinerary because to us NZ & Sydney were the highlights of the cruise & we could drive home from LA. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's why I never assume anything! :p

The Emerald sails Sydney to LA in April 2017 and the Golden from LA to Sydney in July 2017. Even though they require a flight to or from Sydney we preferred that itinerary because to us NZ & Sydney were the highlights of the cruise & we could drive home from LA. :)

Astro I like your idea of flying but I'm worried about the long flight. How long was the flight from LA and what airline would you recommend. Thanks

It also show:

and:

Just Mike

I like doing this on a cold snowy Sunday, and we have no intentions of going anywhere.

So I looked and there is no Star listed in Papeete, but the Star shows up in Nawilliwilli on the 3rd and 27th of December 2017.

I also looked at all the South American ports and could find no port schedules out to 2017.

So, let me speculate that the Emerald will do the 28 day run in October/November 2017 while the Star plies the YVR or SFO - Coastal runs from the end of Alaska to December (where she does at least two HI runs) and then switches to South America in 2018. She might also do a drydock in Victoria or SFO in the October time frame as well.

it makes sense that they would use a Super Grand rather than a normal Grand on the Tahiti run - more passengers = more revenue...

Of course this all depends on the Emerald coming back at all. I still have a nagging feeling that they will want to keep her in Oceania and Asia until the Majestic gets there...

Here's a link to the Port of LA's current cruise ship schedule for 2016 & 2017:

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

In October & November 2017 it shows the Ruby, Emerald & Star in the Port of LA (San Pedro).

Thanks loads.

I looked at LA for Oct 2017 and Nov 2017. Here is what I found.

Emerald in LA 10/15/17(Sunday) then Emerald back in LA 11/17/17 (Sunday).

That is a 28 day span.

HOWEVER, Papeete shows Emerald leaving their port on 11/10/17. There is no way Emerald can get to LA in 2 days.

There is one other little puzzle -- If Emerald does the 28-day to HI, Samoa, FP, there is the timing issue of arrival in Samoa. Mainly, Sunday would not be a good day to arrive in Samoa since the Samoan people are committed to going to Church all day on Sundays.

The previous 28-day cruises have departed LA on a Saturday. We always arrived in Apia, Western Samoa on Saturday. The 2016 28-day cruise departs LA on Thursday (Oct 20) and that cruise is scheduled to arrive in Pago Pago on Wednesday and Apia on Friday. Remember the Date Line is such that we do not have Thursday.

So,the mystery is still on. "Where in the world is" Emerald Princess in Oct/Nov 2017. Maybe Princess knows???

Sandra:):confused:

It also show:

and:

Just Mike

Mike,

After looking at the schedule for STAR in and out of LA, I think STAR might be the logical guess. My reasoning is that the Tuesday Nov 11 departure out of LA would get the ship to Samoa so that it is not on a Sunday.

The next logical place to search is the the Hawaiian ports for STAR and EMERALD. I looked at the Papeete schedule and I did not not see STAR on the agenda for Nov 2017 as yet.

Does anyone have a web address to look at the Hawaii port arrivals?

How about a web address for the Samoan port arrivals?

Mike,

After looking at the schedule for STAR in and out of LA, I think STAR might be the logical guess. My reasoning is that the Tuesday Nov 11 departure out of LA would get the ship to Samoa so that it is not on a Sunday.

The next logical place to search is the the Hawaiian ports for STAR and EMERALD. I looked at the Papeete schedule and I did not not see STAR on the agenda for Nov 2017 as yet.

Does anyone have a web address to look at the Hawaii port arrivals?

How about a web address for the Samoan port arrivals?

But here is the Hawaii port schedule:

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/passenger-cruise-schedules/

Only Nawilliwilli is shown in 2017 and the Star is only there on the 3rd and 27th of December, while the Emerald is shown on the 28th of October and 26th of November...

But here is the Hawaii port schedule:

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/passenger-cruise-schedules/

Only Nawilliwilli is shown in 2017 and the Star is only there on the 3rd and 27th of December, while the Emerald is shown on the 28th of October and 26th of November...

Thanks for the Hawaii port web address. I guess we will have to April or May to really know.

Sandrar:)

Thanks loads.

I looked at LA for Oct 2017 and Nov 2017. Here is what I found.

Emerald in LA 10/15/17(Sunday) then Emerald back in LA 11/17/17 (Sunday).

That is a 28 day span.

HOWEVER, Papeete shows Emerald leaving their port on 11/10/17. There is no way Emerald can get to LA in 2 days.

There is one other little puzzle -- If Emerald does the 28-day to HI, Samoa, FP, there is the timing issue of arrival in Samoa. Mainly, Sunday would not be a good day to arrive in Samoa since the Samoan people are committed to going to Church all day on Sundays.

The previous 28-day cruises have departed LA on a Saturday. We always arrived in Apia, Western Samoa on Saturday. The 2016 28-day cruise departs LA on Thursday (Oct 20) and that cruise is scheduled to arrive in Pago Pago on Wednesday and Apia on Friday. Remember the Date Line is such that we do not have Thursday.

So,the mystery is still on. "Where in the world is" Emerald Princess in Oct/Nov 2017. Maybe Princess knows???

Sandra the dates above show that the Emerald would take 8 days to return to LA.

Astro I like your idea of flying but I'm worried about the long flight. How long was the flight from LA and what airline would you recommend. Thanks

Our routing to Sydney was definitely not non-stop and we flew from LAX to SFO on UA, then SFO to Auckland NZ on Air NZ, then Auckland to Sydney on Air NZ. It was nothing we'd probably do again but the price was great at $560/pp for the one-way flight back in 2009.

We departed LAX on a Monday afternoon & arrived in Sydney on Wednesday morning due to losing a day flying across the International Dateline to AUS. Thankfully we arrived 3 nights before our cruise because our luggage didn't arrive from SFO until Friday night about 18 hours before embarkation.

If you fly to Sydney, I'd suggest arriving a few days early to enjoy the sites & in case your luggage is delayed. Misplaced luggage would most likely not be as much of a problem if flying non-stop to Sydney. We enjoyed Air NZ very much but have also heard good things about Qantas.

In 2009 the Princess flight options were not great but now with eZAir I've seen a lot of good prices & most times it's for flexible airfare. That would be one of the places I'd check along with travel reservation sites or possibly using frequent flyer miles if that's an option for you.

I checked a reservation site for one-way flights LAX/SYD in mid-October 2016 and Virgin Australia (codeshare on a Delta flight in a widebody 777 aircraft) has a 14:55 non-stop flight for $776. If we did it again, we'd fly non-stop (or maybe 1-stop) even if it was more expensive.

While we enjoyed island-hopping back to LA, we enjoyed Sydney & NZ even more & would like to go to AUS & NZ again in the future.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our routing to Sydney was definitely not non-stop and we flew from LAX to SFO on UA, then SFO to Auckland NZ on Air NZ, then Auckland to Sydney on Air NZ. It was nothing we'd probably do again but the price was great at $560/pp for the one-way flight back in 2009.

We departed LAX on a Monday afternoon & arrived in Sydney on Wednesday morning due to losing a day flying across the International Dateline to AUS. Thankfully we arrived 3 nights before our cruise because our luggage didn't arrive from SFO until Friday night about 18 hours before embarkation.

If you fly to Sydney, I'd suggest arriving a few days early to enjoy the sites & in case your luggage is delayed. Misplaced luggage would most likely not be as much of a problem if flying non-stop to Sydney. We enjoyed Air NZ very much but have also heard good things about Qantas.

Yikes great price yes but thats quite a flight. :eek:

I lived in OZ for 4 years in Melbourne and Sydney and made the trip a few times.

Yikes great price yes but thats quite a flight. :eek:

I lived in OZ for 4 years in Melbourne and Sydney and made the trip a few times.

I much prefer a non-stop flight which doesn't seem to take as long to recover from jet lag or at the least is less stressful by hoping the we & our luggage make the connections! :eek:

The few times we've flown to or from Europe using FF miles for 1st or BC the saver awards required 3 flights within 24 hours & we were still very tired even after all of the comforts of being in a premium class cabin.

Four years in OZ must have been a great experience & we hope to someday visit cruise friends in Melbourne & to see more of OZ beyond the Sydney area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sounds great if, and that is a big if, you can tolerate a flight longer than 6 hours! With an tendency towards blood clots with prolonged idleness, that long of a flight is out of the question. So we simply cruise to any off shore location we want to go or chose not to go. Getting old is H - - -!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Sounds great if, and that is a big if, you can tolerate a flight longer than 6 hours! With an tendency towards blood clots with prolonged idleness, that long of a flight is out of the question. So we simply cruise to any off shore location we want to go or chose not to go. Getting old is H - - -!

Just Mike

Absolutely & how we travel as we get older can change & there's no one size fits all way to travel & thankful we are able to enjoy travel. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Absolutely & how we travel as we get older can change & there's no one size fits all way to travel & thankful we are able to enjoy travel. :D

Oh boy are you right! We use to drive to Las Vegas in 2 days from Oklahoma and now it's 3 days. So now we fly to LV instead of driving, unless I have another driver and it still takes 3! :D

Just Mike

Oh boy are you right! We use to drive to Las Vegas in 2 days from Oklahoma and now it's 3 days. So now we fly to LV instead of driving, unless I have another driver and it still takes 3! :D

Just Mike

I wish Princess would add more roundtrip US cruises. We have done these three and would love to do them again:

TA - We went NY to Dover to NY. 18 days each way with stops in Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and others. Only one port qaqatoq, Greenland (spelling?) was repeated.

FLL to Manaus, Brazil and back. 14 days each way. All same ports. Went about 1200 miles up the Amazon.

Around South America (FLL to SF) 49 days.

With each, there was reasonable flights for most of us.

I much prefer a non-stop flight which doesn't seem to take as long to recover from jet lag or at the least is less stressful by hoping the we & our luggage make the connections! :eek:

I agree. Just get it over with! LOL. We are flying into Auckland in a couple of weeks, and I am not looking forward to the flight. There is a stop but no plane change. I'm hoping my bags make it there with me. We are flying Air New Zealand which we have used before for European flights. I like them (as much as one can like an airline.) ;)

The Crown having been here on the US west coast for awhile, I've made good use of her! :)

In 2009 the Princess flight options were not great but now with eZAir I've seen a lot of good prices & most times it's for flexible airfare. That would be one of the places I'd check along with travel reservation sites or possibly using frequent flyer miles if that's an option for you.

I checked a reservation site for one-way flights LAX/SYD in mid-October 2016 and Virgin Australia (codeshare on a Delta flight in a widebody 777 aircraft) has a 14:55 non-stop flight for $776. If we did it again, we'd fly non-stop (or maybe 1-stop) even if it was more expensive.

While we enjoyed island-hopping back to LA, we enjoyed Sydney & NZ even more & would like to go to AUS & NZ again in the future.

Astro, thank you for taking the time school me in flying to down under. Now I'm praying extra hard for the 2017 FP cruise to happen. I don't have it in me to be cooped up for whatever length of time it takes. I too have a hard time recovering from jet lag and the prospect is a major turn off.

I loved 2015's cruise on the Crown to Tahiti and came home happy and healthy after having everything right there at my finger tips. Great food, a wonderful gym, interesting people, fabulous entertainment and especially the magnificent staff catering to my every whim and I only gained one pound. Oh yeah, the beautiful polynesian people we met along the way were unforgettable (especially Patrick). Also the Islands were everything I dreamt they would be.

Edited by Duffysmom

Astro, thank you for taking the time school me in flying to down under. Now I'm praying extra hard for the 2017 FP cruise to happen. I don't have it in me to be cooped up for whatever length of time it takes. I too have a hard time recovering from jet lag and the prospect is a major turn off.

I loved 2015's cruise on the Crown to Tahiti and came home happy and healthy after having everything right there at my finger tips. Great food, a wonderful gym, interesting people, fabulous entertainment and especially the magnificent staff catering to my every whim and I only gained one pound. Oh yeah, the beautiful polynesian people we met along the way were unforgettable (especially Patrick). Also the Islands were everything I dreamt they would be.

You're welcome & that's great that you enjoyed the 2015 cruise to Tahiti roundtrip LA on the Crown. We sailed the Crown's cruise before you & talked to people who were continuing on to your cruise...at the end of our cruise they had a big :D, we had a :( to be disembarking from the Crown.

Many of the longer (14+ days) roundtrip LA cruises apparently are very popular & come with a higher price. Particularly rarer itineraries such as your South Pacific cruise & the roundtrip Panama Canal cruises.

You're welcome & that's great that you enjoyed the 2015 cruise to Tahiti roundtrip LA on the Crown. We sailed the Crown's cruise before you & talked to people who were continuing on to your cruise...at the end of our cruise they had a big :D, we had a :( to be disembarking from the Crown.

Many of the longer (14+ days) roundtrip LA cruises apparently are very popular & come with a higher price. Particularly rarer itineraries such as your South Pacific cruise & the roundtrip Panama Canal cruises.

I don't know that it is true, but we were told on the Crown South Pacific cruise in 2015 that it was the most repeated Princess itinerary.

I don't know that it is true, but we were told on the Crown South Pacific cruise in 2015 that it was the most repeated Princess itinerary.

I could easily see that being true particularly for passengers who can drive to the port which eliminates airfare & a hotel. Although with parking now $16/day at the port it'd be more cost-effective to take a shuttle to the ship for a 28 day cruise.

I can recall a time when Princess did two of the 28-day round trip cruises; one in the spring and one in the fall. As popular as this cruise is, I don't understand why Princess would not have more of them. I am sure they analyze the profit making potential of every possible itinerary and how many ships they have to serve the various markets. Not only are American jobs going to China, but now the cruise ships are too.

That won't last. As soon as a Chinese shipyard builds a ship for a cruise line, they will have copies of the plans and will build their own ships to compete with the older cruise lines. Maybe then we can get the Sapphire and Diamond back.

I could easily see that being true particularly for passengers who can drive to the port which eliminates airfare & a hotel. Although with parking now $16/day at the port it'd be more cost-effective to take a shuttle to the ship for a 28 day cruise.

We flew from the east coast, so parking was not an issue. However, we stayed at the Doubletree, San Pedro. Parking was free for28 days for those who drove, and a room was $159. There were about 50 from our roll call.