Best time to try Priceline/Hotwire for SF hotel

I've read some success stories on CC about using Priceline or Hotwire for good deals on SF hotels. Can anyone tell me how far in advance these can or should be tried? We sail out on Sept 3, 2016. I would like a hotel for at least two nights. I've never used these sites, so ANY ADVICE about using these sites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've read some success stories on CC about using Priceline or Hotwire for good deals on SF hotels. ... We sail out on Sept 3, 2016.

We suggest that you get a cancellable reservation now, since it's apparently too early to use Priceline or Hotwire. That way you know that you have a hotel. If you decide to use one of the bargain sites, you can always cancel your original reservations.

As far as I can tell, the only SF sailing on 9/3/16 is our ship, the Regent Seven Seas Mariner, SF to NYC; but I don't see you on the roll call, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2257082 . Please join the 5 or 6 couples, including us, who are on the roll call. Thanks.

I use Priceline (bidding for rooms) quite often and have always had good luck. As was said previously, occasionally the Priceline Star levels might not be what you would expect. I always go with the 3 star and better and have never had a problem. The suggestion to get a room that you can cancel is a good one. That way, if you are successful in bidding on one on Priceline, you will be able to cancel the original without a charge.

I would suggest that prior to bidding you look through the Priceline site for the Hotels they have in their system, their locations, their star level assigned by Priceline, and the standard Priceline rate available. I assume you know that when you bid on Priceline, you can choose the star level and the area, but not the specific hotels.

I usually try to start bidding about 30 days prior to my planned date and start out with a lower price (about 40% of Pricelines rac rate). If your bid is not accepted, you need to wait 24 hours and then can bid again. I normally increase my bid by $1 each day.

The more you use Priceline, the more comfortable you will get with it.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will try to answer them.

Good Bidding,

Burtie

• 1 month later...

When using priceline, can you select the type of room you want? I had booked a room for our pre-cruise when we were supposed to be going in January 2017, and it was a room with a harbor view. Was wondering if I would be able to do the same using priceline.

TIA!! Happy Cruising :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thru PL you do not get to choose the type of room. They will give you a room for two people, usually the facilities lowest rate type room. BUT, once your bid is accepted you will get the information on which hotel you got and then I usually sent them a request for whatever it is I want--king bed, two queens, ocean/river view, etc. They will not guaranty your special request, but it has been my experience that if whatever you request is available they will give it to you, sometimes maybe with an additional up charge.

Don't forget, there are no refunds on any PL accepted bids.

Good luck,

Burtie